1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peter Jacksons HOBBIT

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

The movie Hobbit is scheduled to open next week (12/14). Do you plan to watch it? I am not into Tolkiens works but understand he was an associate of C S Lewis in his early years. Is there any redeeming values in the story or is it fantasy?

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I like Tolkiens books and the movies made from them, I' have heard that the movie is making people sick because of the quick moving cameras?

I will go see the movie.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tolkien was not only a good friend of C.S. Lewis, but he was one who helped bring about Lewis' conversion and acceptance of Christ.

Tolkien was also a critic of Lewis' writings ... what else is a friend for? He was not particularly happy with Lewis' writings and making theology popular. His fear was that Christ's teachings would not be presented without meaning and truth being lost.

I wonder what he would think of the popularity of his book The Hobbit and the Ring Trilogy. To me he is waging the war, in his books, of good against evil. Kind of like our own lives, we all struggle against the evil within us and hope the good within us wins.

4. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

They are all wonderful stories...Your last Sentence makes me wonder though...The answer to BOTH questions in the last sentence is, yes.

There are redeeming values, and yes, it's fantasy. All told though...it's just a story. It's imaginative good clean uplifting entertainment. It is a "Good" thing. The ability to tell good stories like those, and the men and women gifted to tell them are gifts from a God who loves his creation. And Tolkein was truly a master story-teller, and Jackson a master film-maker.

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I listened to a lecture about Tolkien. The point the lecturer made was that Tolkien wrote LOTR and The Hobbit so as to combat the nihilism and hopelessness that pervaded society at his time. LOTR is about having hope even when things seem hopeless---this is a Christian tenet. This lecturer also said that Tolkien wrote so that the younger, secularized generation would have something to relate the Gospel to when they heard it---- in other words, Tolkien dealt with Christian themes of hope, suffering, goodness, evil so that hopefully if some poor secularist/atheist young person read LOTR, it would leave an impression in their mind so that when they DO hopefully hear the Gospel, it will have some sort of familiarity to it.

I will go see the Hobbit. It will be my birthday present.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've never read The Hobbit?

What's wrong with you?
    Do you have something against fantasy?
    C. S. Lewis' children's books and science fiction were allegory
    Tolkien had this to say about allegory:

The Hobbit is a child's book - shouldn't take more than a week for anyone.
    Read it and make your own decision.

Rob