1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Petra--Backslidin' Blues from The Ultimate Collection

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Feb 10, 2017.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After years of hearing about this CCM band, I finally got a hold of Petra: The Ultimate Collection, their two disc set of greatest hits. I've been listening to Disc1. For the most part, it's kind of unremarkable. I give them kudos for having a solid message with unambiguous lyrics. Musically, meh, nothing special, I would describe it as competent pop music, UNTIL "Backslidin' Blues" popped out of my speakers and grabbed me.

I did some research on Backslidin' Blues and found out it's from their debut album and it's from 1974. Nineteen Seventy-Four! Wow.

I suppose back in the 70's and 80's Petra would have been a big deal. According to Wikipedia, they were a pioneer of the Christian rock and contemporary Christian music genres. Throughout the 1980s and into the early 1990s, Petra was one of the world's most popular Christian rock bands, with each of its albums during that period selling hundreds of thousands of copies while the band sold out arenas and regularly placed songs at the top of Christian radio charts. With its lyrics, music and style, Petra influenced numerous other artists at a time when Christian rock experienced strong opposition from many conservative pastors and churches.

Anybody else want to comment on this band? Any memories? Did anyone see them in concert?

2. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never got to see them in concert but they did do a "meet -n-greet" with customers one Saturday afternoon at the Family Bookstore I worked at in the mid 90's. A really nice group of guys. At the end of the session, they led the staff and the customers that were in the store at that time in prayer.

As for their music, even though I like pretty much all of their albums, I prefer their earlier works.

:)

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1974, I was listening to Ozzy Osborne Black Sabbath, Bad Company, the Who, ELO, etc. Christian bands...not so much.:Wink

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still listen to the Who, have seen them twice in concert. Ozzy and BS, never got into them.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.