1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip Bobbitt's Terror and Consent: Rethinking the future on fighting terror

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Apr 18, 2008.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Terror and Consent The Wars for the Twenty-First Century By Philip Bobbitt 672 pages. $35, Alfred A. Knopf; £25, Allen Lane.

The age of "Atlantic man" is conventionally thought to be over. Some, like Parag Khanna, foresee the rise of a "second world" to challenge American hegemony. Others, notably Fareed Zakaria, are harbingers of a "post-American world." The rapid economic rise of China (and India) suggests to many that the geopolitical center of gravity no longer lies somewhere between Washington and London. The embarrassments of the Anglo-American "special relationship" in Iraq have encouraged others (myself among them) to predict a decline of American empire.

Philip Bobbitt, however, is Homo atlanticus redux. A dapper Southerner, he divides his time among Austin, Texas; New York, where he teaches law at Columbia; and London, where he has lectured in war studies. His new book, "Terror and Consent," is in many ways a manifesto for a new Atlanticism, not just a reassertion but a reinvention of the dominant role of the trans-Atlantic alliance.

"Terror and Consent" is quite simply the most profound book to have been written on the subject of American foreign policy since the attacks of 9/11 - indeed, since the end of the Cold War. It should be read by all three of the remaining candidates to succeed George W. Bush as American president.

3 Page Article Here.

A globalists vision of the near future.

Hold onto your socks!:eek:

Only one point seems to elude Bobbitt, and that is what seems to me to be the great defect of any pre-emptive action by a democratic regime: the electoral rewards for success are slight because the public finds it hard to be grateful for a nonevent. Retaliation, by contrast, is a surefire vote-winner. That is a major difficulty, I think, since the United States can scarcely be an effective "claviger" (key bearer) and "steward" of the states of consent if its executive cannot secure enduring domestic consent for its "preclusive" actions.

Seems to be a universal problem among the elite, how to overcome democratic instincts. Zbigniew Brzezinski talks about this in "The Grand Chessboard", and the PNACER's talk about it in "Rebuilding America's Defenses. The answer seems simple enough. Another 9/11 or "Pearl Harbor" type event and the people will go along with anything the state demands democratic or not. I'm surprised the obvious answer to this "problem" has eluded these gigantic minds for so long now.

#1 poncho, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  2. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting tidbits from intellectual elitists, trying to define in human terms what God has already told us in His Word. The geopolitical center of the world is most certainly shifting to the middle east, and we (the west) are fading fast. We are rapidly being positioned by our own leaders, in their misguided attempts to mollify environmental radicals, to be brought to our knees over oil. The world no longer holds the dollar in high regard. The liberals are hell bent on losing the war on terrorism, and destroying the moral of our military, and if they assume power over all three branches...game over...As disgusting as it is, John McCain may be the only hope..

#2 hillclimber1, Apr 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Hillclimber,

Have you read any of John McCain's speeches? He's of the same mind as all these other international intellectual giants. He wants a league of democracies and a global compact. He's all for "free trade" that isn't free market but a corporate controlled global economy. Doesn't make any difference if a liberal or non liberal is in the WH the agenda for globalization is the same. Just different ways of looking at it and carrying it out. I'm afraid if we keep looking at each other as liberals and conservatives or D's and R's...the globalists will win. That which divides us is helping them to destroy us.

Divide and conquer brothers and sisters don't get sucked into it anymore. Just say no!

#3 poncho, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2008
  4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Fact is Poncho, that we'll in all probability, get one of these three candidates. McCain is the least disastrous. IMO It's all part of our fall....

If all Republicans "just say no" we're stuck with Obama or Hillary.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Ya see? That's what I'm talking about right there. We have to get past that left vs right thinking it's killing us. One side isn't any better than the other it's just two paths that are leading us all to the same place.

Look Hillclimber. This was hard for me at first too so I understand okay and I don't mean to sound condescending brother but there are no more republicans or democrats. There are globalists that's all there is. There's globalists on the left and there are globalists on the right.

No matter what the globalist agenda is going to go on until we are begging for bread from strangers in our own streets. This division is killing us. We're going to have to put some differences behind us for now and start working together if we're going to survive as and independent nation.

6. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Do you think you and your children will enjoy begging bread from strangers?