1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pictures of a brain with mental illness for fred

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by nodak, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They have only recently (within the last 10 years or so) mapped the genes and are still working on links to behavior, disease, and many other genetic related problems.

There is no credible evidence that all manners of information will not be linked to gene mapping in the next decade or more.

To consider such a claim at this time is highly speculative at best and could be liable for rebuke by future findings. Dr. Quin has no scientific backing for such a statement. The absence of a genetic marker at this time does not conclude that one is yet to be discovered.

I admit that some in mapping family history will find the father - to child link not to their liking. However, when family history is traced to grand parents and further, anecdotal evidence can be found. I do not care nor have the time to dig through my files for actual documentation.

But it is a rare parent who has not heard, "(child's name) is just like uncle Fred." Or, who hasn't heard (or used), "My dad wasn't good in (subject) either."

If such has been stated from the time of Adam (I imagine Eve saying it about Cain) then what silliness is purported that a person does not inherit parental characteristics of temperament and physiological matters.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not one of them is a definitive test, is there?

But we were speaking of a genetic test, I believe. That was YOUR qualifier.

3. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Apples and oranges, annsni.

You are trying to liken a fabricated illness to a real one.

#63 Steadfast Fred, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And you've gleaned that from where?

I don't think you know what you're talking about regarding this. Please explain how "desires and lusts" have anything to do with fixations on neatness, germs, light switches, et al.

5. Steadfast Fred

The Greek word for lust, epithumeo, means to set the heart upon.

That is exactly what happens when one is obsessed with something... they set their heart upon that object.

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you are saying if someone has a difficulty, say, with believing a light switch is off and keeps cycling it to be sure it's truly off; it is akin to sin? Or repetetive hand washing because they need to be certain that all the germs are cleansed? Or any number of things that have nothing to do with what is commonly referred to as lust?

7. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spare yourself Arbo. :thumbs:

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, you're probably right.:rolleyes:

9. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

There is an old episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond " in which Debra and Raymond go through much of what you just described. Being a sit-com it is all done with humor.

10. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

http://www.addvance.com/help/parents/medication.html
    An article by Patricia Quinn, M.D. Just a couple of quotes:"Over the last decade, many advances have been made in the delivery of the medications to treat AD/HD in children and adults. As a result, several new medications have been approved that make the treatment of AD/HD both easier and more effective."
    "AD/HD have been shown to affect all aspects of a person’s daily functioning including job and academic performance, social/romantic relationships, and self-esteem."
    It appears that even if Dr. Quinn does not see AD/HD as a genetic problem she definitely sees it as an organic Physical problem having symptoms and actual, noticeable, detrimental effects on ones life, and it responds to medications. She evidently disagrees with you.

11. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

- Original: ἐπιθυμέω
    - Transliteration: Epithumeo
    - Phonetic: ep-ee-thoo-meh'-o
    - Definition:
    1. to turn upon a thing
    2. to have a desire for, long for, to desire
    3. to lust after, covet
    a. of those who seek things forbidden
    Someone with OCD actually desires to STOP the actions, thoughts etc. If there is any "lust" related to their OCD it would be to covet a cessation of their compulsion.

12. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

More advice from the ADDvance web site founded by Dr. Quinn and Dr.Kathleen Nadeau, Ph.D.,
    http://www.addvance.com/add_friendly/working_with.html

Work with your ADD (ADHD), not against it!

"Many people do battle with their ADD (ADHD), trying to beat it. The fact is, this approach is exhausting and often defeating. It doesn't work very well or feel very good to spend your life trying to not be yourself."
    "Shoulds" and "oughts" rarely motivate adults with ADD (ADHD) in the long run."

13. fortytworc

fortytworc Member

http://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/mind

Definition of MIND
    : the element or complex of elements in an individual that feels, perceives, thinks, wills, and especially reasons
    : the conscious mental events and capabilities in an organism
    : the organized conscious and unconscious adaptive mental activity of an organism

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mind
    noun
    (in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.: the processes of the human mind.
    Psychology . the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.
    intellect or understanding, as distinguished from the faculties of feeling and willing; intelligence.
    a particular instance of the intellect or intelligence, as in a person.
    a person considered with reference to intellectual power: the greatest minds of the twentieth century.

http://www.mind.org.uk/

Defining Mind is a task that still eludes some of the best "minds" on the Earth. I will not try to argue for any definition nor try to show a link between "Brain" and "Mind"(I do recommend http://www.mind.org.uk/ I would just say that "A skunk by any other name has the same stink." (My Dad) Whether Brain, or Mind I am just glad that all the various sciences have not waited for all of the information from all of the religious, philosophical, metaphysical, governmental, etc. etc. groups to come in before researching and developing various medications, procedures, and approaches involved with what we use in trying to live good, quality lives. We could still be drilling holes in peoples' heads to let demons out, and killing patients in our attempts to get all that bad blood out.
    Read some of Depack Chopra's stuff if you really want to learn nothing on this subject ;)

#73 fortytworc, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  14. Steadfast Fred

The brain is material (can be taken out of the skull after death, or even operated on during life)

The mind is immaterial. (one can dissect the brain, taking every last cell of it and laying them out on the ground and still not be able to find the mind)

15. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Yes, Fred, but the brain controls the mind. If the brain doesnt function properly then the mind is out of control.

John

PS. I am so glad you are normal and dont suffer from mental disabilities. That would destroy your ego. ( which btw, is a product of your mind)

16. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're wrong. You would find:
    Small Molecule Neurotransmitter Substances

Acetylcholine (ACh)Dopamine (DA)Norepinephrine (NE)Serotonin (5-HT)HistamineEpinephrine
    Amino Acids

Gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)GlycineGlutamateAspartate
    Neuroactive Peptides - partial list only!

bradykinin beta-endorphin bombesin calcitonin cholecystokin inenkephalin dynorphin insulin gastrin substance P neurotensin glucagon secretin somatostatin motilin vasopressin oxytocin prolactin thyrotropin angiotensin II sleep peptides galanin neuropeptide Y thyrotropin-releasing hormone gonadotropnin-releasing hormone growth hormone-releasing hormone luteinizing hormone vasoactive intestinal peptide....
    Soluble Gases

Nitric Oxide (NO)Carbon Monoxide

That's just the some of the neurotransmitters. Here's a site called Neurotranmission for Kids. It does a good job of explaining the chemical process inside the brain that produces, processes and stores thought, emotion, pain, mood, etc.

I don't get the great fear you have of science. God made us as very complex beings. It is not a sin to quit the Flat Earth Society and appreciate how wonderfully and fearfully we are made.

#76 padredurand, Apr 28, 2012
  17. Steadfast Fred

I have no fear of science.

Tell you what, padre. Go down to your local hospital and ask a doctor to show you a mind.

Let me know the results.

18. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

I can't see air or electricity either...but they exist.

John

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Coffee just went up my nose! That hurt. Thank you.

Hope it didn't reach my brain.

20. markwaltermd

markwaltermd New Member

Incredible!

...that this thread has continued for more than one page.

This isn't about convincing one person of the fact of mental illness. By page two, it's more about gratifying someone who appears to relish negative attention.

I would worry that permitting an argument about the very existence of mental illness would go a long way in discrediting the church, in the eyes of peripheral non-believers.

Some of the statements here -- specifically those by one poster -- reflect a spirit of contention and a lack of compassion. This is a sad mistreatment of our brothers and sisters whose lives have been affected by mental illness.

#80 markwaltermd, Apr 28, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.