1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pigeon Forge, TN

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SolaSaint, Aug 11, 2010.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

We are traveling to Pigeon Forge for vacation this weekend, what are some suggestions on what to do there?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I rode the ski lift.

Dolly wood.

Shopping.

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

If you want to do some "guy shopping," my favorite place is in neighboring Sevierville TN at the Smoky Mountain Knife Works. Trust me, they've got LOTS more than just knives!!

www.smkw.com

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dollywood
    Dixie Stampede (Great show and food)
    The Miracle Theatre (WOW!!! Best attraction there, in my opinion. A God-honoring drama production like you've never experienced before) Camel ride for the kids if you come early and pay extra
    Wonderworks (especially if you have kids or if it is hot/raining outside) Very interesting hands on science exhibits here for the whole family
    Hoot n' Holler (A rowdy dinner place inside wonderworks. It's kind of corny but family-oriented)
    ski lift
    Comedy Barn

Stores
    Christian bookstore
    Lodge Cast Iron store
    Lil' Dolly's (Not sure if that's the right name, but if your wife is into quilts or frilly little dresses for the kids or grandkids, they have some adorable stuff there to buy)
    Knife Works

Time and money wasters that I would never do again:
    Ripley's Believe it or Not
    The inside dinosaur "ride" (don't know how to explain this one, but it's in a big building with little rafts you board at the front)
    Almost anything in Gatlinburg, except for shopping and the ski lift

I forgot to add, everything is EXPENSIVE. Be prepared to pay more than you had originally planned. Some places take family pics beforehand then sell them to you during or after the show and that costs, too.

#4 abcgrad94, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  5. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

BTW, that link to the Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville TN has links to other attractions in the area. Click on the "Planning a Trip" button for details.

www.smkw.com

And, yes, abcgrad94 is quite correct about things being expensive! Some things may be worth the price you'll wind up paying, but a whole lot of them aren't!!

6. RXD

RXD New Member

There are lots of tourist attractions and famous restaurants in Pigeon Forge,TN. It also provide hiking tours, canoe trips, horseback riding, helicopter tours, Jeep tours, tubing, river rafting, and jet boat rides. It is also famous for its food. There are many famous restaurants and hotels with cheaper rates.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

See the new Titanic museum as well. There are way too many things to do in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Seveirville. And you have Knoxville just 20 mins away. Then there's my house, just up the road ;)

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, kind of random, popcorn ideas here. I also treated Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville as one place.

I've taken youth groups for years, to conferences--but those dates are fairly well structured, so much of the "standard tourist traps" like Dollywood, Dixie Stampede, etc., I haven't tried.
    Also, I took my family there this past year (first vacation in eleven years! First time we've saved vacation $ that didn't get robbed for a more urgent need. Woo hoo! But my point: We were on an incrediby tight budget, and so once again, some of the standard tourist traps weren't done. You'll have to get reviews on them from other folks.
    She
    The Gatlinburg aquarium is nice. It's not the best in the country (in fact, Chattanooga, TN's is better, and it's a bit pricey--but Gatlinburg's is pretty good, and worth the trip IMO, especially if you have kiddos. In fact, we took our vacation during the school year. To make up some science work, Our son wrote a report about our aquarium trip. Good times.

A couple of other ideas--strictly my own opinion. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. E pluribus unum.

Indoor skydiving: Right across from the Grand Hotel and Convention center. Expensive, but fun. Besides...when will you do this again?

If you manage to get a HUGE discount, the Ripley's mirror maze in Gatlinburg is pretty good (especially with small kids). However, it is NOT worth the full price admission.

Ripley's "Believe it or not" museum--pretty good (once again--work a discount; it's rather pricey).

The "guiness world records" museum is awful. Don't waste your time.

The various golf & go-cart things are all over the map-both in quality and price...just be careful.

Ober Gatlinburg--the tram to & from is cool. The Alpine slide (think "concrete bobsled,"--safer, of course) is nice. The chair lifts cost a bit but offer a fun, nice view.

Outlet shopping in PF and Sevierville are typical outlet mall experiences--there's a lot of stores that you're not getting a bargain (outlet in name only)--others that are true "Outlet stores" with great prices.

Also...don't fall for the vendors offering "free tickets" to ANYTHING. You have to do the timeshare presentation thing--these folks are pushy, rude, and you'll end up there most of the day before you receive your promised "reward."

I really enjoy eating at the Apple Barn. Nice place.

Hope this helps.

9. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, we just returned and had a great time. We went through the wonderworks place and it was great. We did a lot of shopping and rode the Tram in Gatlinburg. Great vacation spoy. for the family.