1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Pilgrims Progress' is for adults, not children!

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by procyon, Nov 29, 2005.

1. procyon

procyon New Member

I read Pilgrim's Progress when I was a child. And to tell you the truth, I didn't understand it much, and I didn't like it. But years later, I read it again. And what a terrific impact it had on me!

I believe Pilgrim's Progress is a book meant for believers, for those who are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and who know that they are children of God. It is not for unbelievers; they can't understand it. It is not for children; it's too deep. And shattering! [for those Christians who've invested everything on earth, without understanding heaven!]

Oh, Christians, you love the world too much! Your eyes are blinded to heaven. We are so earthly-minded! We love pleasure; we want to have a good time in church! We worship the 'golden calf' in the spirit of Baal. We don't experience the reality of the Cross, and we simply do not know Heaven.

When Pilgrim got to know Christ, he left the perishing world behind. The world was Vanity Fair [and that includes a lot of 'Christian' churches and 'Christian' literature!]. It was a journey from earth to heaven. It was a heavenly vision, that the English tinker got in Bedford prison!

[So what do you think of the above? Can I have your views?}

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I read Pilgrim's Progress every year. It is an adult book, with teachings even a child can understand. I am a HUGE fan of PP and wish others would see it for the tremendous message it contains.

3. procyon

procyon New Member

The teaching of Pilgrim's Progress is something even adults dont understand. What kind of attitude should we take towards the world? It is in the spirit of Galatians 6.14. That's something too much for the worldly Christians of our day!

As regards children, okay, the story line of Pilgrim's Progress is good. But it is not just a story. It's reality; it's the challenges that we face in our Christian life, and how many of us fail in that respect!

There is a spirit of 'no compromise', the spirit of a true pilgrim in John Bunyan's book. And those who are indwelt by the heavenly and holy Spirit should understand this!

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is a very generic statement. There are many adults who understand the amazing message of Pilgrim's Progress.

5. procyon

procyon New Member

What was the Pilgrim's attitude to the world? What is our [today's Christians] attitude to the world? If our modern Laodicean church had appreciated the spirit of Pilgrim's Progress we wouldn't be so un-spiritual as we are today!

And if those 'many adults' had understood the message of Bunyan, we wouldn't be having the terrible problems we have with our younger generation today!!

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The problem is not a "lack of understanding," but a lack of reading. Virtually every believer I know who as read the book understands what Bunyan was trying to say.

7. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

For that matter I know of non-Christians who have read and understood PP, but choose not to accept what Bunyan was saying.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have read the book. I understood what he was saying. However I did not really get much out of the book. There were other books that have meant way more to my development as a believer. But no doubt the book has had a tremendous impact on the faith.

9. procyon

procyon New Member

Let me put it this way. We learn by experience. Nothing in the Bible becomes alive or real to us, unless it is through experience. We have to pay a price as it were to appreciate the promises in the Bible. We must be able to say, I know that verse, because I have gone through the experience, the suffering, and that promise became real in my life.

Similarly, Bunyan went through experience, painful experience, and through that experience Christ became real to him. It is possible for us to read a book and say I understand it, but that is mere head-knowledge. Children may read Pilgrim's Progress in an abridged version and like it as a story. But it remains as a story the rest of their lives!

Faithful was 'faithful unto death'. Vanity Fair [this world] make look attractive outside, but is ready to put to death the true child of God. That is why the Bible says, We are not of this world!

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am missing your point procyon.

Are you saying that not a single person understands PP unless they have been imprisoned for they faith and faced death for it?

My life is affected as I am reminded of the tendancy to wander off into the things of the world every time I read the book. I am encouraged by Christian, flat on his back, facing the talons of Apollyon until he reaches out for his sword, for which Apollyon has no defence. I have cried when Faithful meets his earthly death and challanged by his faithfulness. I am convicted by Talkative and how often I am like him, speaking of the things of God without doing them. That is just the start.

Do you really mean that people don't understand the book? For not understanding it it sure has had a tremendous impact on my life.

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

PP is the most read book in the English Lanquage, next to the Bible. And for good reason.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I am not sure those stats are still accurate. At one stage of history it was true.

I ran a poll here a couple of years ago and less than half of the respondants had actually read the whole book even once.

13. procyon

procyon New Member

We are all 'strangers and pilgrims' in this world. And if we sincerely and seriously tried to follow Christ [with the aid of the Holy Spirit], we are bound to face the problems that the Pilgrim faced! What Bunyan is saying, and what the Bible is saying, is that the Christian life, or rather, the life in Christ is a challenging life, a battle, a war [Eph 6.12].

This is more that reading a book and liking it. The book must become part of your experience, just as for those who know Christ the Bible becomes their experience!

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

How can you say that people do not do such procyon? There are many godly people whose lives have been impacted by the reading of PP.

It is not scripture, so it does not have life altering power in and of itself.

Saying that, I praise the Lord for PP and the impact it has had on my life.

15. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"I am not sure those stats are still accurate. At one stage of history it was true.

I ran a poll here a couple of years ago and less than half of the respondants had actually read the whole book even once."--------------------------------------------------------------------

No it would not be correct if you are looking only at the modern era. But in publishing history, PP enjoys the title of most read book in the english language, aside from the Bible.

16. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I guess it's not a good idea for me to try to turn it into a shonen comic?

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Whatever you do, don't make it a shoujo. ;)

Here is one list for top ten most popular books of all time in the english language. There is one Christian book on the list that is not the bible, and it isn't PP. Of course, these are difficult stats to confirm.

So you wanna : Top ten most popular books of all time

18. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I ran a poll here a couple of years ago and less than half of the respondants had actually read the whole book even once."

My wife did a flannel graph series of PP, does that count as half or something? [​IMG]

19. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

http://www.orionsgate.org/about_PP.html

"Next to the Bible, "The Pilgrim's Progress" has probably been more widely read than any other book in the English language." --Orionsgate

It is claimed at the beginning of an animated PP that I have that it is the most read book in the English lanquage, and it is also claimed in this link. Who knows, but I would bet it is if you know anything about the history of the book. But I doubt is was ever published in "important publishing houses" , so I doubt there are good sales stats on it from its hayday. It was a non-establishment book read by the unwashed masses in the beginning.

Gold Dragon, you list seems to deal with number of books sold, which is really a different question then how widely read a book is.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I have read some of those same claims, but I wonder how many people have really read it in the last fifty or so years?

We are looking at a MUCH bigger reader base today than existed in the 17th-19th century when great masses could not read.

I would have to doubt the claim that it is the most widely read book after the Bible. I would not even be certain that the Bible is the most read book in history.