1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Plan of Salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Charles Meadows, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

Hi all,

I had a friend ask me if I knew when the traditional "plan of salvation" as it is commonly given originated.

Most of our pastors will give an invitation and then take an individual aside and give them "Romans Road".

Anyone know when this type of approach originated?

Thanx.

2. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

maybe a map of Italy would be more useful . . . ;)

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The Romans road is full of potholes...

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Among American Baptists this practice probably had its origins in the theology of L. R. Scarborough who wrote; "The complete sovereignty of choice in man, the recognition of God's part, of his right to choose, to decide between God and darkness, sin and righteousness, that he has rights as an individual and as a free moral agent to decide the direction of his destiny and whatever he does in life or in eternity is based on the recognition by God himself of his individual freedom of soul." [Nettles, By His Grace and for His Glory, page261]

The above theology by Scarborough is pure nonsense! Since when does sinful man have any rights before Holy God? Nonsense! Of course there are many on this Forum who believe in the Sovereignty of Sinful Man in Salvation.

Initially it probably had its origins in the faulty theology of sinful man shortly after the formation of the Church.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That's a good question... I first heard of the 'Roman's Road' from Hyles, but not sure if he was the originator of it.

Not sure how to research this topic, but would be an interesting study.

6. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

I believe that Paul the Apostle wrote the letter to the Romans, so I think the "Romans Road" began when God inspired the book of Romans in Paul's mind.

Pastor Mark.

7. eloidalmanutha

for your reading edification [depending on your view ;) ]

QUOTE:
    Roman Road to Salvation
    The Gospel of Grace
    (revealed by our Lord Jesus Christ to our Apostle Paul)

Many people think they will go to heaven because they have lived a good life. Perhaps, they treat all of their neighbors fairly. Maybe they volunteer for charity work and have never broken the law. Maybe they were even baptized or go to church regularly. But the Bible, God's Word, says that no one can live up to God's standard of righteousness.

Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one ...."

Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God ...."

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Salvation cannot be earned. Everyone is a sinner and deserves death, but God gives eternal life. So how can we receive God's gift of eternal life?

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth ...."

To be saved, we must believe the gospel. The word "gospel" means "good news". But before we can believe the good news, we have to know what it is.

1 Corinthians 15:1-4 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel ... that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures ...."

This is the gospel which we must believe in order to be saved. Now, how does believing this gospel save us?

Romans 5:8-9 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him."

Romans 3:22-26 "Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation (appeasing sacrifice) through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus."

We can be saved from the wrath of God, because Jesus Christ, the Son of God, died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins and rose from the dead. He paid the price for us, and we are justified in God's eyes through our faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works lest any man should boast."

There will be no boasting in heaven. We cannot be saved by our own righteousness, but only by God's grace, through faith.

Ephesians 1:13-14 "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory."

Once we believe the gospel, we are sealed with God's Holy Spirit. This is God's deposit, that guarantees he will redeem us, whom our Lord Jesus Christ "purchased with his own blood" (Acts 20:28).

Studying the Bible is an essential part of the growth of every believer. New believers should begin by reading the letters of our Apostle Paul (Romans 11:13), starting with Romans and then continuing through all of Paul's letters. Also, reading The Basics of Understanding the Bible would be helpful.

http://www.matthewmcgee.org/roman-rd.html

8. OldRegular

I deduced that your post was dispensational even before I checked the reference.

Your advice that new believers should start with the Book of Romans, one of the most difficult to understand letters in the New Testament, is foolish.

I would suggest that new believers begin their Bible study with the Book of Genesis and the Gospel of John. The Book of Genesis because it tells us where we come from and why we need Salvation; the Gospel of John because it presents in understandable form God's purpose in Salvation. What could be better than John, chapters 3-6?

Romans doesn't really teach anything about the Grace of God in Salvation that is not in the Gospel of John, or for that matter in the Book of Genesis.

9. OldRegular

The Arminianism of the so-called Roman Road would be anathema to the Apostle Paul. [​IMG]

10. eloidalmanutha

I deduced that your post was dispensational even before I checked the reference.

Your advice that new believers should start with the Book of Romans, one of the most difficult to understand letters in the New Testament, is foolish.

I would suggest that new believers begin their Bible study with the Book of Genesis and the Gospel of John. The Book of Genesis because it tells us where we come from and why we need Salvation; the Gospel of John because it presents in understandable form God's purpose in Salvation. What could be better than John, chapters 3-6?

Romans doesn't really teach anything about the Grace of God in Salvation that is not in the Gospel of John, or for that matter in the Book of Genesis.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I was simply passing along information - someone asked what the Romans Road Salvation plan was, I found it and posted it - none of it can be attributed to me. I am innocent [​IMG]

11. OldRegular

Then I apologize, humbly and thankfully! [​IMG]

12. eloidalmanutha

Then I apologize, humbly and thankfully! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]no prob - whew!!! - don't want to besmirch my reputation :D [​IMG]

13. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

The Arminianism of the so-called Roman Road would be anathema to the Apostle Paul. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Sure. That's why Paul risked his life and limb to get out the Gospel to every creature because he was a Calvinist who believed that they all would be saved anyway with or without him. Rom. 10:14

14. OldRegular

The Arminianism of the so-called Roman Road would be anathema to the Apostle Paul. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Sure. That's why Paul risked his life and limb to get out the Gospel to every creature because he was a Calvinist who believed that they all would be saved anyway with or without him. Rom. 10:14 </font>[/QUOTE]Your understanding of the Gospel is lacking. Please note how Paul defines the Gospel.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Please note that Paul states that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, not the free choice of man unto Salvation.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Why do you always have to change everything into a 'Calvinism-vs-Arminianism' argument? An honest question was asked and it deserves an honest answer without all the 'C-A' posturing that goes with it.

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good answer! [​IMG]

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The Arminianism of the so-called Roman Road would be anathema to the Apostle Paul. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Sure. That's why Paul risked his life and limb to get out the Gospel to every creature because he was a Calvinist who believed that they all would be saved anyway with or without him. Rom. 10:14 </font>[/QUOTE]Your understanding of the Gospel is lacking. Please note how Paul defines the Gospel.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Please note that Paul states that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation, not the free choice of man unto Salvation.
    </font>[/QUOTE]With all due respect to all who have posted here (and DEFINITELY!! without getting into any of the Calvinism/Arminianism discussion [​IMG] ), I would suggest that a better "definition" of the gospel is found in I. Cor. 15:1-8, especially vs. 3-5. [​IMG]
    Romans 1:16-17 is probably better characterized as how the gospel "operates" and/or its "purpose". [​IMG]
    As to the "Romans Road", I know I, personally, have seen tracts in the past that used this approach, and perhaps even one with a similar title.
    In His grace,
    Ed [​IMG]

18. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said, Ed!

I believe that Jack Hyles claimed to have invented the Romans Road. I believe he actually put together those particular verses for use in personal evangelism.

However, Hyles did not invent that particular approach, per se. For example, check out R. A. Torrey's (an associate of D. L. Moody) How to Work For Christ for an approach similar to but more detailed than the "Romans Road."

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Trust me! Jack Hyles did not invent the 'Romans Road'.
    In His grace,
    Ed

20. OldRegular

With all due respect to all who have posted here (and DEFINITELY!! without getting into any of the Calvinism/Arminianism discussion [​IMG] ), I would suggest that a better "definition" of the gospel is found in I. Cor. 15:1-8, especially vs. 3-5. [​IMG]
    Romans 1:16-17 is probably better characterized as how the gospel "operates" and/or its "purpose". [​IMG]
    As to the "Romans Road", I know I, personally, have seen tracts in the past that used this approach, and perhaps even one with a similar title.
    In His grace,
    Ed [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]I believe you have got it backwards in your reference to 1 Corinthians 15. But then you are just as entitled to be wrong as I am.

Again please note that Paul is very clear in what the Gospel is: Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.