1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured pleasantly surprised so far

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by nodak, Mar 25, 2012.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess now is as good a time as any to crack open that last can of refreshing Billy Beer!

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have had people in churches I have pastored do the same thing to when they realized my dad is anti-Christian and my brother is the black sheep of the family. How sweet it is when people judge others by their siblings and parents.

3. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is somehow different when Charles Stanley's wife divorced him and Charles Ryrie's wife divorced him. Different, right? Sweet, correct? That's all together different Pastor?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you know the reason why she left? He could have been a tyrant at home for all we know. My brother in law is a retired police officer and he has some rather crazy stories to tell about some pastors over the years.

Whatever happened we do not really know but one things we do know is that God hates divorced and those men serve as example of having failed marriages. Is that what we want to have before our children? One can point to them and show how they were divorced and survived.

Divorced and pastoring is very different than happily married and pastoring. One sets an example for all and the other does not. One sets an example of how one can get divorced and survive and the other sets an example of how to grow in a marriage. a pastor is more than a job. He is an example to the flock. We know that people who consider getting divorced often have friends who are not in a happy marriage and so they reinforce each other.

Had a lady in a church tell me that she can get divorced and be just fine because of what she saw around her. She divorced her husband and married another then he left her exactly the same way she left her first husband. She saw leaders in the church who were divorced and she commented that they seem to be fine. How would they counsel her and imagine how hard it was for me to counsel her. I could speak form my own marriage and example, and scripture but she spoke from other examples in the church leadership.

However there is good in everyone. Some serve as a bad example of what not to be.

#24 gb93433, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  5. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what I'm learning from you. If your wife leaves you, regardless of the reason, you will give up the ministry and resume selling above ground swimming pools full time. And no matter how bad you are as a husband, as long as your wife puts up with you, your golden in the pulpit.

And it doesn't matter if you support anti-biblical social issues, as long as your wife doesn't leave you and your not a dispy or if the SBC doesn't like you, as far as gb93433 is concerned, your good to go. But it all basically hinges on the wife.

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, what a thread drift.

Still, since I was EXPECTING liberal drivel from former Southern Baptist and former President Jimmy Carter, and so far have not found that in the study notes, I remain

pleasantly SURPRISED.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Just read an article today about Dr. Mohler's interview with President Carter, where I learned about the Study Bible with Zondervan. An intriguing idea, I must say.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not at all. Why should there be such shallowness in church leadership? They should be the bestr example in the church. The pastorate in not just a job but an example of godliness in action to all. How can a pastor who is unsuccessful in his marriage be an example to everyone?

Pastors are an example to the flock. They are not a job that makes a living. They are overseers not just those who are making a living.

When I recently went to the bank to get a loan the banker told me that he had never seen anyone with a higher credit score than I have. That speaks volumes when I am talking to a non Christian. Before I was a pastor I worked in two lumber businesses and every month there were churches that did not pay their bills.

A friend of mine whose family owned three Bible Bookstores told me that the worse people to pay on their acccount are pastors.

A pastor should provide an example of an exemplary life honoring to God so that condemnation does not come on him or the church. That is one reason he is not to be a recent convert and demonstrate leadership in the home. That has nothing to do with if he or his wife is at fault. It is not about who is at fault but about what is at stake. It is God's program, not a particular person's. Nobody should be a stumbling block to Christ and especially a pastor.

Two churches back that I pastored had some divorced deacons and their situation made if difficult to counsel some people who had troubled marriages.