1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please Don't Call Me A Calvinist But . . .

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by gb93433, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Wade Burleson is one Calvinist who has no uncertainty about the fate of infants and the mentally retarded. They are in heaven because Christ died for them and the Holy Spirit regenerated them. If I read the Baptist Board Calvinists correctly, a lot of them punt on this question.

I also liked his explanation of Particular Redemption. I'm paraphrasing here but his point is that if a rebellious sinner bears the penalty for his own sins in Hell, it was not born by Jesus on the cross. All sin will be punished either at Calvary or in Hell--one place or the other, but not both.

Obviously, many will disagree with his take. But as one who agrees, it was a fresh way of stating the principle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:eek:" Calvinist!!

Yer' a Calvinist!

I'm Tellin'

NAH-na-NA-na-na!

g b's a Cal-vin-i ...! "

:p :D

>

>

>

>

>

Uh' what was that question, again??

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apart from faith? You now have another dispensation of salvation. Spiritually separated people need regenerating, infants are not separated from God.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you agree with the article, you're a calvinist :)

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your response made me laugh. On a more serious note would your calvinist theology include:Romans 5:6, "For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly."

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, I am properly classified as neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian. There is no real difference in the two systems, in the final analysis, for both demand some undefined "perseverance," else one is not saved. I'm not claiming to necessarily be the brightest neon on Broadway, but perseverance equals perseverance, regardless of how one arrives at that destination. I consider both systems, when taken to their logical ends, to be a denial of grace.

And, being as you mentioned a verse in Romans, I would offer that neither system has a great deal of admiration for Rom. 4:1-8, nor any particular great admiration for the "Biblical Saint of saints," either. (It is almost amazing to me, that we so elevate the one identified as the 'chief of sinners,' while downplaying this individual, I would offer.) Or at least Scripture seems to consider the one I am talking about as the "Biblical Saint of Saints," anyway, considering he is one of three individuals - the other two being Abel and the first Drunk in history, Noah, who are called righteous or just 3 times each. In addition, he is the only individual that God, the Holy Spirit, inspired a writer to write about which specifically identified him as being among the godly. My Biblical hero - the Biblical Saint of saints - is - yep, you got it, 'Hizzoner', the Mayor of Sodom, godly Lot!

And yes, 'my theology' includes all Scripture. :thumbs:

Ed

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Indubitably!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.