1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please Explain 1 John 2 "Jesus propiation For Sins Of Whole World!"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Amy, I am aware that you are attempting to be genuine in your response. However, I must rightly reject your assuming accusation that "cals don't know the OT." I think it is perhaps not a necessary nor truthful indictment.

Furthermore, the NT is in line with the OT, and one major factor is that mysteries not understood beforehand are now revealed, so the old saying that "The NT is the OT revealed" has a lot of validity to it. Election, the elect, Gods choosing, predestination, calling, Sovereign Grace, Sovereignty are all brought to more light, and we have the OT also to examine yet again under this revealed truth. As a matter of fact, the OT has ample evidence that this truth has always been the case.

Nothing you've said in your statements dismantles anything in what we've stated here from the NT Scriptures. I also believe that many Cal brothers have a good grasp on OT Scripture knowledge.

The truth stands, He will save His people from their sins. Quite specific. Paul also preached for the sake of the elect, 2 Timothy 2:8-10 a truth he embraced. Many want to get a little angry over this passage, but it is plainly there and is seen throughout the OT and NT Scriptures.

The fact remains that yes, is Christs death, burial and resurrection efficacious to the extent it could save all people from all times from their sin? It's absurd to even question this because to deny it's power in any form would be blasphemous. The conclusive evidence lies in the fact of Who died and paid this price, and He is of course the Spotless Lamb of God and it most certainly is a perfect gift and sacrifice beyond our comprehension. Still, only the elect will be saved.

#62 preacher4truth, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Limited atonement suggests that the death of Christ was of limited value, and this is not what any true Calvinist wants to say. We believe that the death of Christ is of infinite value. It was sufficient to save not only our world but an infinite number of sinful worlds besides

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are mistaken in this amyg.....there were people he died for who lived before Israel was a nation......Adam-to Abraham......The reason Cals teach what they do is that they see clearly that God deals with man in terms of His covenant throughout the whole bible.....The Covenant is predominant .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

When atonement was made once a year for the nation of Israel, do you believe that the sins of only some Jews were atoned for? Or were the sins of all the Jews of Israel atoned for?

God's plan for Israel was to point to the Messiah. Therefore we can look at all the sacrifices, feasts and holy days as a shadow of Christ to come. It's not rocket science if you're only willing to learn.

No, I'm not mistaken. :)

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:confused:

Better call in Luke. Sounds like new doctrine to me. :laugh:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Agreed. The question is, what is the definition of "elect". I think that's where we disagree.

10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    12Strings
    It seems that way at first glance, but what is at issue is what is the biblical declaration on God's purpose. Is it God centered and covenantal, or man centered. Was the work actual and certain.....or open and random , and only potential.
    If we stick with the whole redemptive scheme revealed in all 66 books we see clearly the teaching that is called calvinism.
    The "benefit' is the confidence and assurance available to everyone believing that they have fled for refuge to the perfect work of our Lord...whose work cannot be diminished.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The atonement was for the Israel of God. The persons I spoke of earlier...abel ,seth, noah etc.....were covered by the true once for all time atonement.....
    Amyg......only the sins of believers are atoned for....the others will be punished for all their sins,,,every idle word...and it will be shown that no atonement will be made for their sins.

The atonement was not for everybody.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder can you show where the Bible says that the atonement of the blood of Christ is kept from anyone? I don't believe you can.
    MB

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do & if he disagrees then we have an opportunity to debate it.:thumbsup:

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I think that both sides hold some truth here. John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Notice it does not say "sins" plural. The passage is very clear that what the Lord did was to take away the "sin" siungular, of the world. I believe that means that the seperation of man from God because of sin was taken away at the cross.

However each person has sins of their own so unless they personally come to Christ their sins will not be atoned for.

John 8:24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I did in my last post.....
    here are more for you;
    no atonement here.......

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now why I wonder would a sinner want to come & atone for their sins? Can you explain how a person who obviously enjoys sin would suddenly want to stop sinning? Why would the guy for example who makes 90K net each month, drives nice cars, has his pick of many beautiful women, lives in an expensive house suddenly want to throw that all away?

• Like Like x 1
  18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is an easy answer as I have experienced it. I got tired of what my sin was doing in the long run. It did bring pleasure for a season, but in the end it slew me. The very thing that I sought made me look to be set free from what it brought about and that freedom came in repentance towards God and faith in the Lord Jssus Christ.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    so would you liken it to an alcoholic hitting bottom?

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Peter and Paul both preached the same gospel.

1 Cor 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.

Note when Paul preached he said CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS.

Peter preached the same gospel.

Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

Peter preached the same gospel as Paul unless you believe he was accursed. Peter told all men that CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS as Paul did. But it did not profit them not being mixed with faith.

If you can't look someone in the eye and honestly tell them Jesus died for their sins, you are not preaching the same gospel as Paul and Peter and are accursed. A very fearful thing indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.