1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please Explain John 12:37-40

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Tom Butler, Dec 15, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

All one has to do is read the 34 pages, Jason. Truth hurts, huh?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Eph 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift--
    Eph 2:9 not from works, so that no one can boast.

3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Knew you see more than one gospel. Awaiting J. Jump reply

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I'm sorry webdog I don't remember a formal meeting. Obviously you know my first name, why don't you share with everyone yours sense you feel the need to share mine with everyone without my permission.

I'm anxious to see how your going to turn this mistake into my fault.

You are one of the most arrogant people that I have run across in quite some time. You have been informed that you have offended another brother in Christ. You try to lay your mistake onto me. I prove to you that what you said isn't true and you are still so arrogant as to say that you know what I believe.

Again I think people have enough information on you and the way your treat others that I hope they will take a LONG hard look at what you say from this point forward.

It's really sad that a situation that could have been handled with a simple I apologize what is it that you believe so I won't misrepresent you in the future, you have tried to turn 180 and make me the bad guy even though I am the one you lied about. That's pretty typical of people today though unfortunately :(

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What you were reading is not what webdog believes, but was a misrepresentation of what I believe. From the posts that I have read of webdog he is pretty much a church traditionalist as far as I can tell.

You and I have had several conversations in regard to what I believe so I don't think we need to go over it again just look back at some of the threads that we share.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

We return you now to the original question, dealing with John 12:37-40.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

OK, I'll go with the principle aspect as I agree therein.
    Yes, Paul is stating the 'Who' concerning the difference in one believer vs another with regard to positioin or gifts NOT about salvation. You have to superimpose that into the text. "All we have is a gift from God"??? Does that include sin, being under His wrath, unrighteousness... "every Good thing is from above". Salvation is a gift I agree but one that can be rejected.

No, the distinction is who they were looking for. (ie King or savior) However due to their partial blindness (as says the scriptures which Blammo quoted)
    They would not accept a Savior if looking for a King, but if they accepted the Savior He would their King.
    ABout the blinding of Israel...I hold they are responsible for why God did indeed blinded them. I do agree with what you spoke with Amy about concerning unbelief and hardening:
    You stated:
    Well the degree of harding are shown (at least for this thread) in Israel blinding. Jesus said Israel was blinded, and yet we see thousands of Jews coming to salvation after Jesus accention. So was Israel blinded totally (making Jesus a liar when Jews were saved) OR were the blinded in part with regard to their King. This is the very reason they accuse and bring Him before Pilate on - He who cliamed He was their King was not their King... How horribly true that statement became.
    But I absolutely agree the harshest judgment (though absolutley Just) is when God STOPS reaching out and leaves you to the natural results of unbelief. This is why I'm so thankful for His mercy and praise Him for His grace.
    This again has NOTHING to do with context as it is dealing with believers. Please show were this principle is used as distinction between believer and non-believer. If you hold to principle it still is defined by its context and the context is has nothing to do with salvation.
    Even if you hold to the principle as put forth (on God deciding who get saved and who doesn't) you still loose footing with the scriptures that show Jesus died for ALL men:
    Just to name a few... >>>EDITED<<<

#67 Allan, Dec 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2006
  8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Allan, thanks for trying to keep the thread on track.

I reviewed my comment to Amy about degrees of hardening and blinding. In the first paragraph actually implied there were degrees, and in the last paragraph I said I wasn't sure. How's that for consistency?

My latest position, which obviously may change with the wind: Not sure, leaning against degrees, open to more light.

I don't think the passage in Romans 11 supports degrees of hardening. I take it to mean exactly what you said--that not all Israel is blinded and some will be saved.

We've been over the other parts of the post, no sense rehashing.

Our conversations are certainly not very exciting, though. Wanna start a fight?

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

LOL, I almost fell out of my chair laughing. :laugh:

I guess Rom 11 isn't 'actually' degrees of blindness per-say but I was simply showing they were not totally blinded but to a degree blinded.

I think the God has established and 'type' of automated hardening (which I would consider degrees). The more you hear and don't respond the more hardened to what you are to it.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    My apologies for not stopping the spitting match sooner.

Please keep to the topic.