We had a scare with carbon monoxide on Friday night (our furnace malfunctioned - it was very old) and it filled the basement with CO. We're blessed that God caused the malfunction to smell so that we knew to check for CO (we don't have a detector in the basement but instead on the main floor). Needless to say, we're in the middle of getting a new furnace and running up our home equity line of credit - and using up all of the firewood we had to keep the house warm!! Tomorrow will be 4 days with no heat in New York in the winter. Fun times! But please Please PLEASE get a carbon monoxide detector or two (or three) and put one near your heating system, one near the bedrooms and if there are any other heat sources or combustion sources, put another one near that as well. it can absolutely save your life!!