1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please pray for our church.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jul 28, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Hello Bro'!

Did I read this right?

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Would you?

I cannot remember the last time I even thought about deducting offerings to the Lord. I do not look at it as a carrot. Now if I start making a lot of money again - my tax guy may recommend it again.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That is real good to know.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, but so you don't read it wrong. The Church is both a divine instution and a non-profit corporation. Filing tax status is up to the non-profit side (rendering to Ceaser what is Ceaser) but God desires the divine institution.

Remember, even Jesus paid taxes.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I just wanted to make sure that I was supposed to be reading into the quote the Scriptural example.

;)

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ever watch a church disband because it was sued and caused the church to get rid of everything. I have and knew the pastor of that church? That pastor is the son in law of a very well known leader in the SBC.

I never said that you couldn't get insurance but just try to sometime. I have been down that road in planting a new church before and it is much more difficult and in some cases impossible. Part of that is because of the corruption in so many religious organizations today.

The limits of liability for the corporation are limited since Ronald Reagan was in office.

It does not take a lawyer to apply for 501(c)(3) status.

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

do you know if this is why some of the new churches do not have membership - just attenders?

8. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

This church that you are talking about was a (c) (3) wasn't it? That is my point exactly. You could not have said anything else in the world than that to prove my point. Incorporation will not save your hide in a suit.

Now, the part about "Rendering", If you just have a church, no school, no book store, no child care center, Nothing but regular church services with the pastor and congregation, please tell me what part of that belongs to Ceasar?

The money in the offering? That belongs to the Lord.

Thanks
    Bartimaeus

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

The church is tax exempt, but not exempt from laws of the state. There is no constitutional requirement that a state exempt churches even from taxes. If you don't want government entanglement, don't call the police if your church is robbed. Don't call the fire department if your building catches fire. Don't hook up to city water and sewer systems, instead drill your own well and septic systems.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The property tax for the land the building sits on. Unless you tell them you are not taxable by filing for a non-taxable status.

11. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Please pray for our church

LeBuick,
    In the state of Indiana I have friends who pastor churches that have simply wrote a letter to the county officials and they were not required to pay the property taxes. This is based upon the fact that taxing the church property is the same as taxing the church.

1. The tax that the Lord Jesus paid was a temple tax. It was not a tax by the Roman Gov't.
    2. The payment did not come from the bag that Judas carried (that was the money used for the church). The money came from the mouth of a fish and Peter had to go out and get it.
    3. Can anyone give me instruction on the Lord Jesus paying taxes besides this? Please instruct.

Thanks
    Bartimaeus

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The point being you complied with the process.

25 He saith, Yes. And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?
    26 Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free.
    27 Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.

It may have been a temple tax but Jesus says a very interesting thing, "lest we should offend them". I believe he is teaching compliance???

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If a church is not incorporated then the membership can be sued and not just the corporation. A lot more is at stake when the entire membership is sued rather than just the corporation.

14. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

gb & LeBuick,
    I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you but I am leaving town for about three days so I won't be able to continue. Thanks for your voices on the subject, we may be able to continue later.

Dale C. still praying for you all.

Out here Bartimaeus