1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please review this " what we believe statement " give your opinions?? Please!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 31, 2006.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I was invited to go to a church and before I go, I want to make sure everything is cool you know.. Please fellow members.. read the below statement from that church and adv anything that is unbliblical if there is anything..

1. We believe that the Bible is the inspired Word of God; therefore being our only rule of faith, doctrine and conduct (2 Peter 1:21, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

2. We believe in the triune God, manifested in three persons; Father, Son and the Holy Ghost (2 Corinthians 3:14, Matthew 3:16-17).

3. We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ, His virgin birth, His redemptive death, His bodily resurrection, His ascension to the right hand of God the Father (1 Tim 3:16). We acknowledge the Lordship of Jesus Christ over all things in heaven, in earth and under the earth (Phil 2:9-10).

4. We believe that man was created in a state of righteousness and holiness, but that he fell; and now lives in a state of spiritual death unless he is redeemed through his faith in the grace of God and the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ (Rom 3:23, Eph 2:1-2).

5. We believe in the inability of man to save himself through religious works or good merits; and that he can only reach God through his faith in the grace of God and the perfect complete work of our Lord Jesus Christ (Eph 2:8-9, Rom 6:3-4).

6. We believe in baptism by immersion in water, as a type of the death and the resurrection of the Believer and as a manifestation of faith and obedience to the ordinance of our Lord Jesus Christ (Mat 28:19). We do not believe or hold water baptism as having any power of regeneration or salvation in and of itself, but rather as the aspiration of a good conscience towards God (1 Peter 3;21, Rom 6:3-4).

7. We believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit as a later experience apart from salvation, which is necessary to operate in a life of power, to manifest the gifts of the Spirit, and to do the works of God on the earth. (Luke 3:16, Acts 1:8, Acts 2:4).

8- We believe that the Church is composed of all who call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and live a life separated from sin. The Church is a spiritual organism instituted by Jesus Christ Himself; therefore, it is His representative on the earth. Its members have the sacred responsibility of working, giving, and praying for its growth. The Church has the divine right of expelling members who constitute a menace (threat) to the health of the Church (Eph. 1:22,23, Acts 2:41,42, Mat. 16;18,19, Mat. 18:15-20).

9. We believe in the continuous practice of Holy Communion, as a remembrance of the death of Jesus and as a living and actual experience with Jesus and the members of His Church (Matt 26:26-29, 1 Cor 11:23-24).

10. We believe that the sanctification of the Believer is the will of God, as a result of the life of Jesus Christ in him, the authority of the Word, and the power of the Holy Spirit (Gal 2:20, John 17:17, 1 Cor. 6:11, 1 Thes. 5:23,24).

11. We believe that in order to please God and be His witness on earth, the born-again Believer ought to live a life of separation from the world and its practices. Everything that has an appearance of sin must be avoided as a testimony to sinners that we are the chosen people of God (1 Pet. 2:9, Mat. 5:16, 1 John 2:15-17, 2 Tim. 2:19-21, 1 Thes.5:22, Jam. 4:4,5). Therefore, we do not permit our ministers and members to be part of secret associations, such as the free masons or lodges (Ephesians 5:8-13).

12. We believe that the perfect will of God is the physical healing of every Believer and is received by faith and through the laying on of hands (Isaiah 53:4-5, 1 Peter 2:24-25, James 5:14-15).

13. We believe that the five-fold ministries of Ephesians 4:11, (Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors and Teachers) are basic and fundamental for the functioning and growth of the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:20, 1 Cor. 12:28).

14. We believe that the mission of the church is local, national, and international evangelism, according to the commandment of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matt. 28:19-20, Acts 1:8).

15. We believe in worshipping and praising the Lord in spirit and in truth, through the manifestations that are suggested and approved by the Word of God (John 4:23-24, Phil. 3:3, Psa. 150).

16. We believe that the family is the fundamental base for society and the Church (Gen. 2:21-24, Eph. 5:21-33).

17. We believe in the following practices based on the authority of the Holy Scriptures:

A) Presenting Children unto the Lord (not the baptism of infants) as an act faith and covenant of the parents as a public identification of the child with the church (Matt. 19:13-14).

B) Tithes and offerings as the only means authorized by God to sustain His work. (Mal. 2:10, 2 Cor. 9:5-14)

C) The Marriage Covenant- We believe in the holiness of marriage instituted by God for the preservation of the human race. As for divorce, we believe it is tolerated by God from the Old Testament, but not authorized. We subscribe to the teaching of Jesus that the only legal reason for divorce in the Believer is adultery by one of the spouses. (Heb. 13:4, Eph. 5:25-33, 1 Cor. 7:1-5)

18. We believe that when Believers who are sanctified in the blood of Jesus Christ die in the Lord, they go immediately to a place called Paradise; but sinners who die and have refused Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior go to a place called Hell where they are tormented until they are resurrected for the Final Judgment. (Phil. 1:20-23, Rom. 14:7-9, Mat. 10:28, Mat. 23:33, Luk. 16:23, Rev. 20:13)

19. We believe in the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ in a visible and bodily form, in the resurrection of the dead, the establishment of His millennial reign, in the Final Judgment for all mankind, and in the new Heaven and new Earth, where we will live eternally with God (1 Thes. 4:13-17, Acts 1:11, Rev. 21:1-4).

20. We recognize human government as an institution placed by God for the preservation of order, peace, security and well-being: recognizing their patriotic symbols, however, not worshiping them (Rom. 13:1-6, 1 Peter 2:13-14).

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

I see a pentecostal persuasion...

Two items pose problems for me:

#7--I categorically reject the "second baptism." Pentecost was the initial coming of the Holy Spirit. We receive the HS when we are saved.

#12--I absolutely reject and abhor this one. We have no right to impose our will upon God. He never healed Paul's thorn in the flesh, remember? We have every right to petition God, pray for one another, and the like. But the healing is up to God.

I do believe that God always heals His children...He heals some through medicine, some outside of medicine, and some He grants ultimate healing to as they go home. But it's on His timetable, and when His work is accomplished--not when our wants are expressed.

One of the meanest and nastiest things I ever hear in Christian circles is for somebody to look at a Christian who is sick, dying, etc., and claim that "you don't have enough faith." Hogwash. Sometimes God accomplishes a more perfect work through our physical infirmities (2 Corinthians 12:7-10).

3. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Definite penticostal and legalist leanings.

I have problems with 6,7,9,17 and 19 because they demonstrate a false understanding and teaching concerning the sacraments. These and number 12 to me demonstrate a desire to control God rather than let God be God.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

I second everything rbell mentioned.

A few more that worry me:

#13--I'ld be interested in their definitions of "Apostles" and "Prophets"...Come across a few spectacular failures of pathetic prophetics now and then...

#15--I think it was a record review in newspaper I read about a thousand years or so ago that used the line bang bang scream scream crash crash yell yell in describing a band's latest release. I don't know why that line comes to mind now... ;) I'ld suggest taking earplugs...

...and expecting anything.

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I pretty much go along with what rbell has said.

Keep in mind, when you ask for opinions on the BB, you'll get 'em! And you might not like 'em all.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

They are an other denomination . . .

Are they PCH?
    I am not aware of other pentecostal holiness denominations over that way.

Sounds like you are in for an experience.

7. Pete

Pete New Member

8. Joe90

Joe90 New Member

Point number two points quite clearly to Catholicism...

After that, the rest is irrelevant.

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

:confused:

Guess I'm missing something. Is believing in the Trinity catholic?

10. Joe90

Joe90 New Member

How can it NOT be?

11. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Of course it is catholic, not only that is is Catholic. :smilewinkgrin:

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

touche' chemnitz!

Rephrasing:

Is believing in the Trinity only a Catholic doctrine? What is your problem with it, Joe90?

13. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are the majority of members here believers in a Triune Godhead or some other? I am shocked spitless!

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

DANGER:

Possible
    [​IMG]

:laugh:

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The way point #2 is worded:
    is suspect.
    It is not a clear definition of the trinity as orthodoxy Christianity defines it. The Oneness Pentecostal, who does not believe in the trinity, would accept this definition.
    DHK

16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not really, becase it mentions "persons" as what they are "manifested" as, rather than as "manifestations" INSTEAD OF "persons".

17. Joe90

Joe90 New Member

I am not a trinitarian, nor am I oneness (Jesus only).

The scriptures support neither standpoint.

Throughout the NT you see Paul opening his epistles with 'Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ'.

Looks like two of them there to me - one is God the Father, the other is the Lord Jesus Christ...

18. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you're binitarian? Would you happen to be a follower of Armstrongism, or the other 7th Day Churches of God, since they seem to be the only binitarian groups?

19. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

This will kill that duality thingy:
    Ac 5:3
    But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
    Ac 5:4
    Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

'Nuff said?

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

As for the OP;
    I concur with the majority. That satement of faith is very Pentecostal.

"RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!" (Taken from Monty Python as I recall from my heathen days)