1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Please, take a stab at it ...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by PJ, Mar 27, 2006.

1. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, we plugged the laptop into an external monitor and it worked great! So we've narrowed the problem down to the backlight.

Now what?! There's an eBay seller that has backlights new for $30ish. He says there's some soldering involved, and generic directions for installation.

My brother has made repairs on desktop monitors (self learned) but never a laptop monitor. So tell me, techie gurus ... is this a job for a professional? Or could my brother and I figure it out, carefully, with generic instructions?

THANKS, THANKS, THANKS for all your help! [​IMG]

2. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

PJ,

As I sdaid before getting it apart may not be the problem...

It's getting it back together again that could be a *real* challenge...

If your brother has a good memory, takes notes and takes a slow methodological approach he can probably pull it off...

But, he needs to be willing to back out if he thinks he getting in too deep...

Some people are really good at the **mechanical** challenge of getting a Laptop back together...

I'm not. :D

Have you gotten an estimate from HP or a local shop?

That may help you pray about it and weight the matter out...

Mike Sr.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd concur with the above, but FIRST lean all over the manufacturer and the store you bought it from and see if they won't do something for you. Be nice but firm and see what pops up [​IMG]

If it comes to you repairing it, be sure the backlight offered is for your unit, and know that it might not be the backlight, it could be a connection or component that feeds the backlight.

4. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good advice, and yes, I did lean on HP ... but they didn't cave. :rolleyes: They said take it to your local Radio Shack for an onsight assessment.

You bring up a good point, exscentric. I never thought about the connection component.

In the meantime, the seller of the backlight sent me install instructions, just for a clue of what it would take to get the job done. I'm not feeling too confident about it. Guess I'll give this project more thought before acting ...

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember you can use it with a monitor as a desktop - loose the mobility aspect unless you have a long extension cord :rolleyes:

Radio shack might give you some insight as to how much repair would be.

I think the companies are too big to care if they have unhappy customers any more.

Happy decision making [​IMG]

6. standingfirminChrist

when the laptop screen no longer works, it could be the monitor, in which case, in most cases it is cheaper to buy a new laptop.

Or it could be the video card... in which case it is cheaper to replace the card.

To check to see if it is the card, plug another monitor into the back of your laptop. If it gets a picture on bootup, then your laptop monitor is what is shot.