1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

pledge of allegiance in church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by slow to learn, Feb 14, 2006.

1. slow to learn

slow to learn New Member

do any of you attend church where the pledge of allegiance is done weekly to the american flag, christian flag and the bible? what do you think of this?

2. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

I pledge allegiance to the Lamb
    With all my strength
    With all I am
    I will seek to honor His commands

good old Ray Boltz - I love that song!!!!

might as well post the whole thing, including his narration first:

"Dad, has it always been this way?"
    " Well, even from the beginning men hated
    Jesus even though He did nothing but love
    them and teach them and heal them. They
    nailed Him to a cross. They thought they
    had killed Him, but they only set Him free
    to live in the hearts of people like you
    and me who believe in Him. Then came the
    apostles and most of them were killed for
    telling other people about Jesus. So they
    tortured them and killed them and even
    left their bodies to rot as an example
    to other people, but the church kept
    right on growing, watered by the blood
    of these precious saints."

"But Dad, did they want to die?"
    " No. They didn't want to die. I mean,
    many of them had children just like you
    they had to leave behind. But they were
    forced to make a choice. They could
    choose to live this one life here on
    earth and reject Jesus and be damned
    or they could choose to believe in
    the words of Jesus and live forever."
    " I think I understand."
    " Here, maybe this will help you understand."

I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb

I have heard how Christians long ago
    Were brought before a tyrant's throne
    And they were told that he would spare their lives
    If they would renounce the name of Christ
    But one by one they chose to die
    The Son of God they would not deny
    Like a great angelic choir sings
    I can almost hear their voices ring

With all my strength
    With all I am

Now the years have come and the years have gone
    But the cause of Jesus still goes on
    And now our time has come to count the cost
    To reject this world, to embrace the cross
    And one by one let us live our lives
    For the One who died to give us life
    Till the trumpet sounds on the final day
    Let us proudly stand and boldly say

With all my strength
    With all I am

To the Lamb of God who bore my pain
    Who took my place, who wore my shame

"You've got to remember that it wasn't
    always this way. I mean, my dad could
    even pray in school, of course, they
    took that away from him. Then it became
    incorrect for us to believe in the bible
    and after that they just stripped our
    right to worship away from us and we
    quietly stood by. But son, I hope that
    you're never put in the position that
    you have to choose between your faith
    and your life. But if you are - I know
    which choice you're going to make because
    I know that Jesus lives inside of you.
    In the meantime, just pray like I taught
    you how to and take care of your mom and
    remember that God is the Father of the fatherless."

With all my strength
    With all I am

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

We did this once in church around the 4th of July and I for one was quite uncomfortable with it.

I pledge allegiance to the Lord first.

4. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

We had a pastor for a few years that had the children lead in the pledges before every Sunday Morning service. It was cute for a while, but became hum-drum.

In my humble opinion, it took away from the main reason for being at church, hindered the service, and prevented any variety in the opening of the service.

I think that doing it every week is counterproductive. It ceases to have that special meaning that is engendered when done occasionally.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We do all three at school each morning (Christian school). However, i do not feel that it is appropriate for corporate worship. Christianity doesnt = America.
    I am very patriotic and am so thankful for the opportunities we have here. But pledging to the flag, and singing songs "to" a country (look em up - they're in the hymnal) border on idolatry in my book.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    What she said.

7. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

On patriotic holidays my former pastor would "post the colors" and lead the pledge of allegiance. (He was a chaplain in the Air Force for many years.) I am very much against doing this and when it was done I would turn and face the Christian flag.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you look at kids and their parents today there is so little thanks and patriotism. We ought to give thanks for the freedoms we have in America. For the longest time I took them for granted until I met some from communist counties and those countries where Christians are persecuted. It is quite an eye-opener. When you talk with some it makes our squabbles seem so petty. Some of my friends who have been missionaries in communist countries have stated that they have come back to a Christian church in America which is weak. They are saddened by what they often see and the sermons they hear.

One of my friends showed me a picture that was taken while he was preaching with several army folks with machine guns ready to blow him away should he have said anythuing negative about their country.

Another friend of mine mentioned to me a few days ago that nobody would have said anything against the country where he came from nor its leader without losing their head.

America is one of the few places in the world where its citizens can do that. We ought to be thanking God for our nation. God has truly blessed America. It has stood for things which no other nation has.

9. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

We pledge all three during VBS, and we pledge the American flag for Veteran's Day and Independence Day. It probably would become hum-drum doing that every week, but it's special with specified emphasis.

10. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

I'm not comfortable when it is done in church..to me it is inappropriate. Of course, ever since I was saved, I've been uncomfortable pledging allegiance to anything other than God.

11. eloidalmanutha

EXACTAMUNDO!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've only seen this done in some Christian elementary schools. Never seen it in churches.

The only thing I've ever seen in churches is pledging to the flag on special days like Memorial Day and the like.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say it's totally out of line. You are in Church to worship the Lord, not to show your patriotism.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I believe that I am as patriotic as anyone, however, I do not believe that any flags belong in the worship service.

15. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Wow. I don't think that I've ever seen this much agreement on a subject here.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I agree, it is inappropriate in church on a regular basis. Because it is not what we are there for. On occations it is ok.

But those who commented that they were uncomfortable pleging allegiance to this country are way off base, imo. Pleging allegance to this country is not ment to put your country above your God it is saying you will put your country above all other countrys. It means nothing else.

For those who hinted that it is idolotry, you are absolutly off base. Allegance is not worship. I do not bow down to my country. Citizenship in this country requires allegance to this country, people who imegrate here are required to take an oath of allegance. Anybody who serves in the millitary or law enforcement or elected office has taken an oath of allegance. All the oath says is they will defend this country against other countrys it has nothing to do with your religious beliefs.

17. eloidalmanutha

Matt 5:33 ¶ Again, you have heard that it was said to the ancients: "You shall not swear falsely, but shall give your oaths to the Lord." Lev. 19:12; Num. 30:2
    34 But I say to you, Do not swear at all, neither by Heaven, because it is God's throne; Isa. 66:1
    35 nor by the earth, because it is the footstool of His feet; nor by Jerusalem, because it is the city of the great King. Isa. 66:1; Psa. 48:2
    36 Nor shall you swear by your head, because you are not able to make one hair white or black.
    37 But let your word be Yes, yes; No, no. For the excess of these is from evil.

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

eloidalmanutha

Do you plan on renouncing your citezenship. Allegance is a requirement for citezenship.

25 And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”
    Luke 20:25

I serve God above all. However I have taken an oath to defend my country and uphold its laws. This oath was not in conflict with my faith.

If you are married did you not take an oath to your wife/husband. I realize you also took an oath to God during your marrage but you also took an oath to be faithfull to your spouce. Was this wrong.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/general.htm

20. eloidalmanutha

I am an american citizen as I was born in this country - no pledge needed. Although I have pledged allegiance in ignorance. However; I renouced that allegiance a long time back when Jesus became Lord of my life. His Kingdom is not of this world and therein is my citizenship.

I am blessed to live in this country - that is God's will for my life. But I do not have to pledge allegiance to anyone/anything other than Him. It is through and by Him that I live and breathe and have my being, not the USA. And, to avert your next question. Yes, I am willing to die for my "denouncement" - ready . . . aim . . . fire - goodbye USA, hello Jesus :D

Did I take an oath when I got married? Nope, what I entered into was a covenant, God as the Head.