1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Crabtownboy, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not true, although lots of Christians believed the lie that was spread through e-mail and from pulpits.

"In God We Trust" was written on the edge of the coins in question.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

>>Originally Posted by billwald
    >>50 million babies times $10,00/year welfare payments times 18 years. How many of you would vote for THAT tax increase if the babies lived?

>Please stay on topic.

YOU, C4K, a list administrator, changed the topic from Pledge to Abortion, not me.

See post #16:

"I am not real big on a secular government 'Under God' policy to start with. I think it is a little hypocritical for a state that claims to be under God to permit the slaughter of 50 million babies."

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You are incorrect, the topic was including the words 'under God' on a nation which kills babies. It is obvious that it was illustrative of national wickedness and not a thread topic. Your abortion support was off topic.

Any further attempts to drag threads off topic to promote your personal agenda will be dealt with accordingly.

4. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

The earlier version of the pledge was not even adopted by Congress until 1942. It was officially in use for 12 years. The current form of the pledge has been around for 57 years. I don't see why anti-pledge folks always argue as if the modern form were some new-fangled scheme.

You're in good company though! The atheists also would love to see God removed from the pledge.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Your thinly veiled personal attack aside, it makes no difference to me what is in it - I don't like the whole concept of pledging allegiance to a secular state when our entire allegiance should be toward our eternal King. Who are we going to break our allegiance to when they come into conflict?

It is interesting that this country survived 175 years or so without a pledge like it is today, and yet folks act like the country is falling apart when this pledge is 'threatened.' Can anyone really say that this country is more godly than it was when these words were added?

#25 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  6. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

It's not a personal attack so much as a perplexed observation. I know that you are not an atheist, but when given the opportunity you side with them on cultural matters. You side with the neo-pagans when they demand A Chapel of their Own.
    You know as well as anyone that the Supreme Court decision protecting abortion rights has been opposed by large numbers of Americans from the start, and now according to polls, a majority of Americans. But you hold up that decision as proof that Americans are un-Godly. Well, abortion is illegal in all Muslim countries I believe, but we wouldn't point to them as an example of Godliness would we?

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You do realise, I am certain, that you are creating a false dichotomy with your Muslim/abortion illustration?

8. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

If you say so Roger :saint:

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it had ever been put to a vote, there would be no such policy.

Why call every citizen a hypocrite for the decision of a few wrongheaded judges and a political party that only has about 30 % of voters as members?

10. mandym

mandym New Member

Would you object to those words on money if there was no abortion?

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Where exactly did I imply that every citizen is a hypocrite? My problem is that it is hypocritical for a government to allow for the murder of children and at the same time incorporate 'under God' into its coinage and pledge. Both political parties have supported this concept, not just one.

The 'under God' in the pledge and 'in God we trust' on coinage remind me far too much of Constantine and his declaration that Rome was officially Christian. Look what happened to the church there as a result. States are not not God-fearing, people are. Nations do not trust God, individuals do. This co-mingling of church and state is helpful neither for church or state.

Abortion is my big issue. Not only does the government protect the right of women to kill their children, but it demands that individual states do the same. That does not sound like a government that is truly 'under God' or able to say 'in God we trust' or 'God bless America.'

Folks are not hypocrites for taking that pledge, I just can't reconcile the two myself.

#31 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2011
  12. billwald

billwald New Member

In English "God" is a generic name same as "Allah" is in Arabic. Thus "In God We Trust" is a generic statement which refers to every god.