1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

POD

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Preacher Nathan Knight, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Dualhunter

Dualhunter New Member

I never said Jesus partook in the same activities. The people who have a problem with POD are basically saying that being in the same room as sinner is bad and I'm just pointing out that Jesus was often in the same room as sinners.

People have already pointed out that the questions was "Are you or are you not a Christian band?" and they replied no to that question not to the question of being Christian. I find it sad when Christians must resort to not just deception but poor deception. Of course it's also possible that in your haste you just didn't bother to read it properly which shows the benefit of careful thinking before opening your mouth.

2. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

TravelSong, we have a post about that article. Some things just don't jive. It sounds like he is holding a personal grudge about being kicked out so now he's getting his "payback."

I wouldn't be surprised if he is lashing out in anger. The alarming thing about that interview is his attitude. It's just rotten to the core. I've been surfing all over the place reading interviews with these guys and they seem to make a solid stand for Jesus not just with Christian media outlets, but secular as well. Then I see this interview and I wonder what the heck is going on.

The thing that bothers me is the kids who will be affected by this. When some kid who thinks the guys in his favorite band are stand up Godly men stumbles across this sort of thing it can be devastating. As adults we can distinguish between the music and the actions of the artist, but children have a much more difficult time making that separation because the artist is a role model. I fault P.O.D. for allowing the situation to escalate to this level.If Marcos is as far gone as that interview seems to indicate, they should have known about it a long time ago.

3. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

[​IMG]

(But like i say, i admire your stamina! [​IMG] )

4. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    but back to POD:

Isaiah 5:18-21 Woe unto them that draw iniquity with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with a cart rope: That say, Let him make speed, and hasten his work, that we may see it: and let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it! Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

5. Travelsong

Travelsong Guest

I Think it should be clarified that this is not a debate. In a debate two parties would represent opposing views on a given topic. When it comes to discussing the salvation of someone who I don't know that professes faith in Jesus as their saviour I make no assertions about their eternal position with God.

What we have here is a trial. Those who are claiming that the members of P.O.D. are unsaved are doing nothing short of pressing charges. As prosecution it is your duty to present evidence that would overwhelmingly persuade a theoretically unbiased jury to conclude that your accusations are true.

Su Wei, I am equally capable of saying you are unsaved and then quoting Scripture with the implication that it applies to you and not even attempt to demonstrate how.

Here, I'll show you: Su Wei, you are not a Christian. The Bible says "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!'

Do you honestly think that would convince a jury? If you still desire to flog this dead horse, then by all means, go ahead. We all live in free countries. But at least have enough respect for the people you are condemning to show that it is their character and actions which give them away as being unsaved. Until that point, you still look like nothing more than a spiteful, arrogant headhunter.

6. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    misunderstanding! [​IMG]

I wasn't referring to POD with the verse and it is not about whether or not they are saved. Only God can determine that (but a changed life would show).
    a saved person should exhibit the fruit of the Spirit.

Galatians 5:22-26 And the fruit of the Spirit is: Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law; and those who are Christ's, the flesh did crucify with the affections, and the desires; if we may live in the Spirit, in the Spirit also we may walk; let us not become vain-glorious--one another provoking, one another envying!

actually with the verse from isaiah, i was referring more to the talk about Mason, rastafarianism and so on... [​IMG]

7. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JDT,
    consider this statement, not made in judgement of you or the bible you are using, but just consider this statment and tell me if you would agree:

"A watered-down bible will result in a watered-down expression of Christianity."

I'm not sure which version you are quoting from. Can you help me check if Acts 8 :37 is in that version?

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you know by now that i am not an expert on everything that POD has said or done or sung. I posted the original article about POD to see what the people here have to say about it.

The truth is, I am particularly interested because we are facing this scenario here in Singapore where a female Pastor is drawing crowds to her church because she has made a name for herself in the secular music industry. On the newspapers, her gigs are called concerts, but on the church website, they are called "Evangelistic rallies". So i ask myself is it in God's will for us to draw the world using the world's tactics.

I don't know everything that POD did. However, God asks us to test and try every spirit and we can do that by checking against the Word of God.

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
    -----------------
    I don't need to know everything they said or did. The Word of God (Jesus Himself) proclaims that in this world, you shall have tribulation. If the unsaved world embraces your "christianity", it is not the same "brand" of Christianity that Jesus was talking about. In fact, it is in direct contradiction! :eek:

Please go back to pg 1 and re-read the verses i posted and tell me if i'm twisting the Word of God or truly, the Bible says that the World is at enmity with God and His Word and His Children.

Sincerely,
    Suwei

9. Preacher Nathan Knight

Here is a list of good gospel music singers that you just cant go wrong with.

1 The Inspirations
    2 Primitive Quartet
    3 McKamey's
    4 Cathedrals
    5 The Nelons
    6 The Rollins
    7 Carolina Boys
    8 The Hoppers
    9 Morris Stancil
    10 Gold City

10. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, haven't seen these in the christian shops here. :(

Are some of these family singers?

11. Smaug067

Smaug067 New Member

Whoa! Whoa! I am not here to pass judgment on POD or try to make the claim that I have the inside info as to their salvation. But I believe you can pass judgment on behavior. I've listened to their music, seen video of them, etc. How can anyone make the claim that they are using their music to reach lost souls? Where is the gospel message? IMHO defenders of POD are fooling themselves using the "evangelism defense" to rationalize at best questionable and at worst satanic behavior.

If the pastor at my church invited a muslim to speak from his pulpit, I'd be extremely angry. Yet POD "speaks from the world's pulpit" and most of Christian youth look up to them. Satan is gradually squeezing the discernment out of our children.

P.S. - Yes. I'll admit I am biased on this issue. My fourteen year-old son is a fan of theirs, and it makes me worried.

12. Preacher Nathan Knight

Most of the groups I mentioned are from the southeast, although they do travel around the country. Most are from Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina. You can but their music at Lifewaystores.com

13. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I noticed a little twang in your list. :D

I just hope there are no believers out there who get nauseated at the sound of most Southern Gospel music....oh wait, that would be many of us.

Please don't forget that Bill Gaither was originally accused of playing "honky-tonk" music that would lead our young people into bars.

The circle never ends. :rolleyes:

BTW I have heard some horrible theology in Southern Gospel music. What's good for the goose ...

14. Preacher Nathan Knight

I love southern gospel, but i cant stand Bill Gaither either.

15. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

So what part of their behavior do you disagree with?

I wasn't aware that anybody was claimimg this. Nathan even presnted us with a quote from them in which they say outright that they're not a Christian band.

What behavior do you find "questionable"?

Do you really not understand the difference?

And out of our adults, evidently.

16. Smaug067

Smaug067 New Member

They associate with some of the most notorious, infamous names in music. Sorry, but birds of a feather and all... Then they claim not to be a Christian band, but Christians individually and in their lives "behind the scenes". Are they too embarrassed of their Christianity to display it in public?

Travelsong did:

And how are they supposed to reach the world when they don't even mention the name of Christ in their lyrics?

Do you really not understand the difference? </font>[/QUOTE]Sure, I understand the difference. I fear that many of our young, impressionable youth do not, however. POD gives them the impression that it is OK to be "of the world", disregarding the Bible's exhortations to come out from the world and be separate from them.

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

They associate with some of the most notorious, infamous names in music. Sorry, but birds of a feather and all...</font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, but I don't buy the "guilt by association" angle.

They perform with other artists but do they "associate themselves with them" in a way that woul indicate that they're involved in sin, or are you just jumping to conclusions.

But they're not a Christian band. Would you rather they lie?

What about someone like, say, Buddy and Julie Miller, Junior Brown, Tony Villanueva, Ricky Skaggs, Radney Foster, Peter and Jim Mayer and others who are Christians but aren't "Christian artists"?

In every interview I've ever seen with them, they've discussed it. It sure doesn't sound like they're embarrassed about it to me.

How do the millions of Christians who aren't in any kind of band do it?

Then why do you equate the two?

How? In all of these posts, in all of these threads, none of you have shown that they're "of the world" so you're basing all of this on what is, so far, a false assumption.

18. Smaug067

Smaug067 New Member

Why not?

No... when they take the same stage as these others, theygive the appearance (to the general public) that they do associate with them. And they confirm it when they 'recognize' artists such as Kid Rock.

Sorry, I can't comment on these artists because I don't know anything about them.

The only quote I've seen is "we believe in God". They do well. The demons also believe... and tremble.

Evangelism and witnessing to family, friends, co-workers, etc. I don't recall ever hearing of the members of POD trying to evangelize Ozzie Osbourne, et al.

An analogy to illustrate my point.

When they make the statement "if there's a party... we party!" and when they describe themselves as "not being goody-goody".

19. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Because it's a cop out. You can't pin anything on them so you try to attatch them to someone else's alleged sins, which you havenn't demonstrated either.

Again, how do they "associate with them"?

How did they "recognize" Kid Rock, other than saying that they didn't want to disrespect him?

So then, you don't really know, you're just inferring your own meaning into it so that you have grounds to judge them on.

Did it ever occur to you that what goes on between them and Ozzy Osbourne is none of your business?

If I were Ozzy, I would deeply resent them making such a personal conversation public.

Two things that are different can't be analogous.

When? In the MTV article? That's not the band, that's one band member who, evidently, has his own problems to deal with.

How do you reconcile that with the quote provided by Tracelsong in which they say that they don't "party".

And, speaking of "partying", why do the pharisees among us always assume that that wrd carries some sort of evil connotations?

20. LAWC

LAWC New Member

At least POD is actively living out their faith instead of arguing on the BB about it!

you can whine all you want about their cutting edge style of evangelism, but hey, they are reaching the people groups that you like to judge and complain about, not pray for, go out and reach, love and share Jesus' love and acceptance.