1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Policeman Shoots Unarmed Marine 13 Times

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Robert Snow, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

There's obviously more to this story than what we are reading. I'm sure there's plenty of wrong doing on both sides.

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Personally, I think he used excessive force--assuming that it was even necessary for him to use his weapon. Just because the marine was offensive in his behavior, that's no reason to shoot an unarmed man--especially 13 times! The cop needs to be held accountable for that. Of course, I realize we aren't getting all the facts.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of what facts we are or we are not getting, we know that if this policeman had asked a driver to submit to a breathalizer test and the driver refuses he could, and most often will, handcuff and arrest the driver for refusal to submit to a lawful request.
    So, why should he be exempt ?

5. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Everyone has the right to refuse. But you're correct, if you refuse then we take you into custody and have your blood drawn. That probably happened with this officer due to the fact any time a cop uses deadly force an IA investigation is initiated and part of that is automatically a blood draw to determine any level of toxicity in the blood. Believe me, it did happen.

6. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Taking someone into custody is one thing, but shooting an unarmed man 13 times?

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all are missing the point. The cop was NOT taking the Marine into custody. Read the story, for pete's sake!

The cop was off-duty at a bar with his girlfriend; the Marine made advances towards the girl. The cop and the Marine got into an argument over it. The argument escalated into a fight, and the cop pulled his service weapon and shot the Marine.

This cop is facing charges for murder, in my opinion.

8. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Right!
    The officer was off duty but had his service revolver with him. Chances are he was drunk..... and a crazy drunk at that.... but story doesn't say.
    The witnesses report is not under oath but we're led to believe the officer initiated the physical scuffle, if in fact there was one.

IMO, all law enforcement loose their authority and acting 'under color of law' the moment they're in civilian clothes and their badge is off. At that point he's a citizen with no more rights than any other citizen..... or, rather, because of his occupational knowledge and authority, he's also has the added weight of responsibility for his own conduct conforming to a higher standard of law than the average citizen. He should know that the authority to demand answers to questions or obediance to commands ends when he removes his uniform, and should end, with few exceptions, the moment he's off duty.

What makes this so..... really so sad.... it took out one of our soldiers in a country where he should have been safer than the one he fought in for us.

9. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Wind, you are mostly correct with your opinion about off duty cops. The only exception is, according to statute in my state, I would HAVE to take action if I or a third party are in danger of death or serious bodily injury. Other than that, we are trained to simply be the "best witness we can be". You are correct, cops should be held to a higher standard, and in my department we are. Have seen several cops go to IA for personal behavior off duty.