1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Political Correctness

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Salty, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Websters New Explorer Dictionary explains PC as: "seeking to avoid offending members of a different group"

According to this - it is acceptable for members of a "group A" to use offensive language among themselves, but members of "group B" could not use the exact same language to "group A"

This definition from the on line dictionary
    PHP:
    political correctness avoidance of expressions or actions that 
    can be perceived to exclude 
    or marginalize or insult people who are 
    socially disadvantaged 
    or discriminated against
    According to this, only certain groups can be offended, hmm I wonder what groups are not allowed to be offended

Here is a link about the HISTORY OF PC

#1 Salty, Apr 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary: politically correct : conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated.

American Heritage Dictionary: politically correct: ADJECTIVE: abbr. PC 1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation. 2. Being or perceived as being overconcerned with such change, often to the exclusion of other matters.

These two seem to be pretty good definitions. People of different gender, race, class and sexual orientation appear to be the common groups to be sensitive to.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Western and Southern Californians should try to be a little more politically correct.

They should make sure the whites are not offended, whites being the minority there.:laugh:

j/k, mind you.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, regardless of the definition of "PC", one thing is for sure - it's prevalence, as practiced today, is the death knell of common sense AND this country.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

PC is just more collectivism. The very root of divisions and racism we see today. Expecting collectivism to cure the ills of division and racism is like expecting a cancer to cure itself. Ain't gonna happen.

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Being 'pc' is so subjective to interpretation: One person remarks about an offense, and if there's an out spoken group that has recognition that is supportive of that person's position... they taking the same stand.... then the 'offender' is taken to task publicly for the offense, regardless of the size of his initial audience, and those within who were offended. On the other hand, a person or persons may make pejorative comments, and be publicly supported as acceptible justified abuse, based on the perception of, or their accusations of, past abuse, which 'qualifies' their statements as 'okay'.

Although there may seem to be justification, from the historical past, and supporting evidence in the present, that some injustice continues to occur, it is not an excuse for deliberately abusive conflaguration except (perhaps) in the context of actual present experience or fact to which it is linked.

Unfortunately, comments are seldom presented 'in context'. They are often presented removed from the context and presented for 'pc' approval, by groups wishing to make an issue: Often such generalized groups are making a judgement without having the same concept of understanding as the more limited audience was aware of. Political correctness is an appealing flag to the emotional side of a person: It rarely appeals to the logic or the rational. It is not necessarily based in fact; it does have an agenda to divide and polarize....even more than the causitive statement might have created unrest and provoked thought.

'PC', frequently like the statements which are judged by it, is a subjective position and opinion, often removed from fact or context, and designed to create or dissolve superficial alliances and control public opinion and attitudes.

7. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Political correctness doesn't belong in a free society as a form of control.

Individual variances of sensitivity does belong in a free society as a matter of free expression.

Perspective is a attitude of observance, as broad or as narrow as the ability of a person or persons to take in. We each, as individuals, are responsible for what we see and hear and how it appeals to the choices we make: Does one listen for only what he wants to hear/see/read? Does one listen/see/read only for what antagonizes him? What is the bases of filtering in our mind: Are our filters based upon popular opinion or those of our familiar circle? Do we look for facts or are we moved by opinions?

Are there laws of absolutes which we accept and use to filter what is accepted within our own thinking to move upon us in our choices and decisions? Does our identification with fallen humanity filter and override our knowledge and expressions of what is right and wrong? Is each of us willing to let judgement begin first with us before we judge another? Is it right to expect others living in a fallen world.... and especially others of Christian faith.... who may appear to have a more 'carnal' pattern in life and observance ....to understand and perceive things as one who counts themselves as 'spiritual'?

The Word of God tells me that we all sin and come short of the glory of God: I may be saved by grace (the work of God), but in my flesh, I am a sinner....just as much as a harlot or a homosexual or a racist or a murderer.......we're all in need of God's forgiveness.... and daily, I'm in need of his cleansing. Perhaps, at times, I get too determined, too stubborn, too sure of my own position.... to see another clearly. What are my filters?

Perhaps, I get so angry over what seems to be an injustice that I fail to see another side: Perhaps, I get so set in one position of looking at things, that I'm insensitive to see the harm of my enthusiasm to an opposing party, who may only feel my judgement.....which is not my right, belonging only to God..... when I really would prefere they hear my love..... or more importantly, God's love.

This world is looking for unity, and peace, and people wish to live where they feel they 'get along' together. The world seeks it by making its own standards of conformity.... and it is subjectively based: There are no absolutes in this world, in it's institutions like school, medicine, media....or government or the courts. The world gives us many laws, some which contradict others when taken literally..... (there's 'evil' in many words [this poster....judge herself...lol....sigh]) but God gave us 10 simple ones which we cannot or donot obey: If we did obey..... we would conform to the persons he designed us to be and become men and women after His own heart.... and there would be little use for government.

But we live in a fallen world: All the attempts by mankind to correct it and enforce control on others are deceitful and foolish. All attempts to bring unity by man and his institutions will fail. Being pc or not pc is 'horse apples' in comparison to the need of the Gospel by this world. Ah, but it is so easy to be moved from God's purpose in our lives!

8. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

So...God's purpose is to have people with one track minds so they'll be able to sleep better at night?

That's it?

9. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

Brad Stine put it this way. " I want to see pc die in my time, but I want it to suffer first." :)

10. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Very Funny:laugh:

I think it's my purpose to live, and to glorify God. What that looks like changes from time to time....

I believe God has a similar desire in his heart for all his creation.... but its our choice, our interpretation, our free will, and what we do with all of our living which determines what our purpose looks like and whether we conform or are transformed. Each has the free will to conform to the expectations of the world, or conform to his own expectations of himself, or to conform his obediance to God's Spirit and be transformed: I think the later is a lofty goal, .........impossible for me to obtain, at least in this life..... but I'm happier when I try.

How does this relate to pc?
    It doesn't except 'being pc' is a fallen humanistic attempt to create a comformity of 'polite society' upon all people, in all walks and positions of life, and unite them in agreement of what is and isn't acceptible. It doesnot unite; its an attempt to control..... and if carried to the extreme so that 'enforcement' becomes the rule... a form of fascism!

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

We see a lot of pc happening on this board, you'd think it was in the 10 commandments or something.

12. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Well, don't know about you but the prospect of our present international corporatism turning to totalitarianism (which it is quite rapidly) doesn't make me sleep any sounder. Neither does knowing that nine tenths of the people still can't see it coming. The tell tail signs are there plain enough to see unless you're all caught up in being good little righties, lefties and party members. Group think, I don't get it.

Serves those who have been stealing us blind while we're watching them well enough though.

BTW, Didn't Christ stand and challenge both spiritual and politcal tyranny in His day? I think so. Sure he was pretty busy spreading the good news and battling hell and demons and all but He still found time to put the publicans in their place. Of course we, His faithful followers can no longer do that now because the state forbids us taking any part in putting them in their place. And we all want to be good peacable and orderly (subservient) citizens now don't we?

Uh Oh Red Alert! My sensors tell me there's a mindguard approaching the perimeter...I best get while the gettins good!

"Beam me up Scotty". Beep Beep! :wavey:

#12 poncho, Apr 13, 2008
  13. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Actually, Poncho, I've agreed with you all along.

Some will call a spade a spade... and some want to find a more 'appealing' term.

In the two major parties, we have no one running for President, that is not a crook... except for Ron Paul. He is still in the running. But the smartest ones among us are quick to discount him as out of the race... like the Republican ticket is already determined. Oh, yes, Mike Huckabee is also still in the running. Even the Democrats know they still have a convention before they really have a candidate. At lot of things can happen between now and the party's conventions. And.... in every state where a third party or more offers a candidate, there is a choice besides the two parties front men.

Religion is politics. I wish it weren't, but the leaders of this world are already aligning themselves up to unify into a global government and global economy. Already we see signs of political figures calling for unity or compromise in religion: the leaders of Saudi Arabia; the conversion of Tony Blair from Anglican to Catholicism; the Pope. We've seen the Pope apologize to Islam for telling the truth...... Since when did the truth require apology? Its politics! Preachers, in our country, cannot stir the public waters: If they create a stir; if they inspire to political action; if they get their names published connected to a cause... the IRS keeps tabs..... and if it serves the purposes behind the IRS, to harrass and prosecute for taxes, a church which was incorporated.... or an unincorporated church based upon its special tax status in the community which made it comparable to recognized exempt organizations get trapped into the same 'give unto Ceasar.

To preach against sin is politics. To preach against abortion is politics. To preach against 'gay' lifestyle is politics. As a Christian, I don't think about it as being 'politics' but that's the viewpoint of this world....

Government and many others are quick to point out the church should preach on Romans 13. Well what and why is the government sticking its nose in to what a preacher preaches. The preacher should only have to answer to God for his message and the leadership of the flock... not the government.... The deacons and trustees of the church should not have to concern themselves with the conflicting of political position with the liberty Christ gives the pulpit... but they do, or are constrained to positions of restraining the pastoral position to protect the tax status of the church against enforcement of IRS, which should not be.

Romans 13 is part of the Bible, but in and of itself, has no superiority over other scripture. A government whose power comes from God is to be followed and supported by Christians cause it works for our peace and good. A government which does not work for our peace and good nor follow the justice and righteousness of God... is not to be followed as though we are blind.

Why the move by political leaders towards unifying the religions? Yes, it is a fulfillment of Bible end times prophecy.... but it is not because of any deep desire these leaders have of wanting to know and follow after their Creator. The devil is behind their power, and is deceitfully leading them and the masses under them to eventually bow to him in 'worshipful' obediance of his government.

One day the Harlot will gain power for a time. She is being courted by the religious and political leaders of the world to help make a system which can unite all people under both religious and government rule. Her end will suddenly come, upon 7 hills she sits... and she will burn in that day when those who conspired with her and found her useful for their purpose, turn against her and destroy her with their covert hatred.

The New Age is the religio-political movement of the end age.... and folks like Oprah and Schuller are leading many to open to it. If they profess to believe the Bible....everyone believes them without opening their Bibles at home to see how its being compromised and watered down. When Oprah claims, the preaching of a jealous God was an offense to her as a child, and turned into unbelief, she is not only creating her own religion, but is using her authority and success and her failure to understand that God is not jealous of her... into dissimination of false information which misrepresents the Jewish and Christian teachings.

Jesus is coming soon.... 'Til then we need to be spiritually exercised, well studied, and have our eyes and ears wide open in preparation and stablility for the unstable times we may face ahead, and protection against deception. Our slowness to start applying now to discipline, observance, and discernment, troubles me greatly as I see the day of deception rapidly approaching.

One may ask me to separate the spiritual from the politics... but I can't: They are together more than most of us know!

#13 windcatcher, Apr 13, 2008
  14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

It isn't so much what happens in the end to me as what I do now. I just can't bring myself to lay down shut up and go along with all this corruption, greed and murder and other assorted crimes these "international" people get away with in the name of the state. Shouldn't sane reasonable people...even Chritians be outraged at this instead of going along with it all as if it were normal and unavoidable and maybe in some dreamy rapturious escape (ism?) way might be a good thing?

I don't know my gut tells me to stand up to it. And as far as I can tell the Bible doesn't tell me not too. No matter how much the govcorp preachers tell me it does.

Does that make me bad or a threat to world peace or national security or maybe even an obstacle for those of you who are betting all you're chips we'll be blinked out of here and spared God's wrath in the nick of time?

Does it?

15. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Yes there's sufficient cause for alarm and to sound the alarm to others.

If it adds strength to your motivation.... by all means get angry: Get angry over the liars and deceivers. Get angry that people who are supposed to be enlightened, are falling asleep and refusing to waken for the alarm in time to protect and defend themselves... Be angry that there are so many variables, and, amongst them are mercurial people who straddle a fence waiting to see who's winning.... until the time becomes too late to make a difference. Be angry that they profess to want a change but continue to do the same old things which brought us to where we are.

Fence straddlers are fickle or fair weather friends..... the distance may not be far between them and enmity. How long must one stick their neck out to save others who don't care to be saved. At what point, if any, does one draw the sword to protect oneself realizing ones energies are of value like pearls; being cast before swine to be trampled upon and rend one does no(one) any good.

As for a 'rapture' saving the body of Christ from persecution..... I don't believe it! I think it sounds good and is soothing and is putting people in pews to sleep in apathy. Clearly we are taught to be alert, awake, watchful, prepared, vigilant.
    The first time Jesus sent his disciples out as sheep and peaceful. Then another time, he tells them to sell what they have and buy a sword..... Buy a sword?...the Word o f God is our spiritual sword for spiritual warfare, but a sword is a weapon of defense against aggressors, murderers, and theives.

The Christian is as much responsible for his own exercise of knowledge and decisions in the course and practice of his citizenship as he is for other decisions made in his life. It is more serious than many want to believe because God has given us a social order where we have a say and influence in the governance of ourselves and our fellowman.... that means responsibility rests upon our shoulders for the choices we make... or refuse to make.

Ignorance maybe bliss.... but choosing to be ignorant is a fool's way of excusing a lack of responsible action... but by no means removes him from responsibility or the consequences of his choice.

16. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Poncho,

The real shocker will be, the body of Christ will face some very serious troubles and persecution.... including beheading.... in the name of doing god a favor... and it will happen before the rapture. We are told to be vigilant, alert, watchful, prepared.... but the church has accepted a doctrine that they will avoid persecutions and troubled times by a rapture. I believe there will be a rapture avoiding the terrible day of the LORD, but not to save us from entering into the tribulations.

Jesus sent forth his disciples, peacably, and told them to take nothing. Later he instructs them to sell what they have a buy a sword. Now the sword may be the Word of God for spiritual warfare.... but a sword is a weapon of self protection and defense against aggressors, murderers, and theives. As the times become more perilious, we are urged to be watchful and prepared, and ready to give comfort and encouragement to one another.

If it helps you to be angry.... by all means be angry: Be angry that the pews are filled with sleepers instead of alert and watchful Christians. Be angry that so many Christians don't recognize that this country and its governance was God given to us to preserve and maintain: They are filled with apathy towards their Christian responsiblitiy in citizenship. Be angry at the liars and deceivers who masqurade in sheeps clothing, some leaders in the church, some leaders in government.... Be angry if it serves to motivate you in those things revealed to you. Sound the alarm.

Unfortunately many don't want to wake up and smell the coffee.....or see the signs.... or prepare for troubles. Many who voice their positions are so changable, they are like sitting on a fence watching a fight to join the winning side at the last minute. Many refuse to take a stand and be counted: They seem like friends.... but many are fickle, fair-weather friends with the space between friendship and enmity very short. By all means sound the alarm, ...I hope I'm doing the same, but keep in remembrance the value of your energies... which, like pearls.....aren't casually cast before swine, less they trample them and turn and rend you.

Ignorance may be bliss.... But the choice to be ignorant to avoid responsibility, choices and consequences does not protect or absolve ones so foolish to make that choice..... But when you sound the alarm, they still refuse to hear....you have no charge when their caught entrapped with pathetic crys.

17. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Oooopsy.... double post of sorts.... #15 did not return to my screen so I rewrote #16.... each basically the same but a little difference.

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Political Correctness is straight out of Orwell's "1984". There are a number of people making a good living being professional thought police. Political correctness is also anti first amendment.

love,

Sopranette

19. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a job that should phase out 'fore long; seems less & less people are really THINKING anymore.
    The majority are just listening to a bunch of talking points, letting out a big burp, and then taking a nap!

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Christians. We are talked about terribly and disrespected, and our freedom of speech is not protected like everyone else's is. We cannot stand up and say that homosexuality is a sin, or that abortion is wrong, or that children and teens should be taught to abstain from sex, but anyone can say that we are bigots and unloving because of our stand and not be criticized for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.