1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Political Correctness????

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Internet Theologian, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Here is the curriculum from the school in the last email response, green portions mine:

Hello,

We will be working on the following Grade Level Expectations for Guidance and Counseling in our small group.

Big Idea 1: PS1 Understanding Self as an Individual and as a Member of Diverse Local and Global Communities

wonder where A & B have gone, we skip right to C

C. Being a Contributing Memberof a Diverse Global Community

Identify character traits needed for different situations.

Big Idea 2: PS2 Interacting With Others in Ways That Respect Individual and Group Differences

A. Quality relationships

Demonstrate how to be a friend.

skip from A to C. Where did B go?

C. Personal Responsibility in Relationships

Identify feelings of others.

·We will learn how to join a game or activity

·How to deal with friends who say or do things that hurt our feelings

·How to listen to friends

·How to share and take turns.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, this email:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/threads/political-correctness.99090/#post-2218764

Is this extra hours class on friendship for the entire class or is it for selected kids? Maybe there are a couple of kids that are acting aloof. Have you found this out yet? <provocative comment removed>

#42 InTheLight, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  3. Internet Theologian

Your response was about one sending an email about how to make friends. No such email was sent. Pay attention. This was all initiated by a sent letter. Do you know the difference between a letter and an email?

I see, you haven't comprehended the thread and things stated. If you had you'd note this was already answered.

Yes, that must be it!

Uh?

Gee, should I answer a fool according to his folly here, or do the other?

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Part of parenting is exactly as you said. We don't wait until Sunday. We have church and praise and worship God EVERYDAY with our families. At least we should.

When I send kids off to school who know Jesus, it's not just to gain book knowledge, but to do spiritual battle.

I, like you, have to know what's going on at school and in class so that I can teach, correct, rebuke and train in righteousness so that they are covered and READY when they leave this house. Because the enemy is going to try and kill, steal and destroy. And my job is to make sure they can withstand the arrows, and understanding that they take the One with them at ALL times who will fight their battles.

And if they aren't being taught Godly values, I'd rather the teaching of how to make and keep friends be left to me.

Because unless someone is IN Christ, our sole reason for befriending them has to be to point them to Christ.

So if social psychologists want to teach kids how to make and keep friends, they better teach them how to love Jesus because it is out of that overflow that we love our neighbors.

And if they aren't doing that, they can keep their little experiments to themselves.

And I STILL don't like the tone of that letter you got or the response. There's just something off about it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Internet Theologian

I agree with this! Sunday is not the only day of worship at all.

And they are trained for this daily by godly families, or at least should be.

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup

I don't like it either. I sent a response about how unprofessional it is to leave off the points. I find it telling that we have professing believers on here belittling other believers because they desire to know what their children are being taught. They ridicule in the same manner as the lost world ridicules.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Run!

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmmm....

The institution I work for has a standardized syllabus; there are certain items that must be on every faculty members' syllabus, such as the generic 7 General Education goals of the institution. Not all courses will address all 7 goals; but the syllabus identifies which of the 7 the course does address. The faculty member then tailors other sections with pertinent course information, such as textbook, grading, etc.

What they gave you sounds similar. Sounds like they have "general" goals in each area, but the study will only address certain of those goals (thus, why they left out A & B in one area, and left out B in another area, etc.).

HOWEVER - this is more of a course outline, rather than the curriculum. What you've posted here is a general outline of what the curriculum will cover, not the curriculum itself. If they haven't given you anything more than this, I would also ask for the learning strategies that will be employed, and any lesson plans, worksheets, materials, etc.

-----
    As I continue to swirl this around in my head, it almost sounds like they're experimenting with a generalized curriculum that might be in a "proposal stage" on a much larger scale, and thus, why they're only looking at certain general goals rather than all of them....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Internet Theologian

We've declined our child attending this class. Thanks for your insight.

9. Internet Theologian

For the record here, the reason I had gone anonymous in dealing with this is due to the fact we don't want our 6 year old being singled out. That's manhood, (and womanhood on the part of my wife) imo.

In other words the protection of our child, and prudently handling the situation, takes priority over whether or not I confront the person(s) face to face.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Protection from what, exactly?

11. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

It takes a Village to corrupt a child

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel as if this is directed at me. At no point did I belittle you for wanting to know what your child is being taught. I criticized you for not taking a direct approach and finding out, either via a phone call or a face-to-face meeting. I was, in fact, IMPLORING you to find out about the class. Sounds like you never found out what this class entails, after all.

Ah, yes. You never disappoint. When cornered say that the person questioning you is not a Christian. We've seen this so many times here on BB, it's incredible. I wonder how many times you've questioned DHK's salvation? It's sickening.

13. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

Fear can be good. If it wasn't for the Fear of what might happen, I might listen to the voices in my head

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Corrupt or influence to act a certain way. It again sounds like an experiment for someone's dissertation. If I had a child in kindergarten, he'd be left behind if this were "required".Biggrin

15. Kevin

Kevin Active Member

I am glad I don't have any kids in school these days, and I am sort of relieved that they don't seem to be interested in having any of their own.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not meaning to speak for IT; if you were asking me, I'd tell you "bias." Once the counselor and/or university people know which kid is mine, there's going to be a level of bias (as in, "that's the kid of the guy who sent us an email questioning our stuff"). Hopefully, they'd be professional enough to overcome that; but in my experience, very few people actually are.

• Agree Agree x 1