1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Political signs

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by bobbyd, Oct 9, 2008.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm going to advertise my ignorance a bit here, or at least my inexperience. I live in a parsonage, my house is on the same square block as the church building, but facing the opposite corner (church is facing Southwest, house is facing Northeast)...anyone know the rules on political signs? I know not to put them any where near the church, and will not do that...but just wondering if i'm safe to put them in front of my front door facing the opposite direction.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A church cannot endorse a political candidate without risking loss of 501c3 tax status (people who contribute cannot claim deduction).

I was an elected official in Wisconsin and examined those laws carefully. This included signs for candidates but NOT for "issues" - you could have a VOTE NO sign on new taxes, gay marriage, etc.

This applies to ALL property owned by the church. We lived in a parsonage on another block and I could not even put up a sign to ELECT ME on the property. Thankfully many others were happy to oblige and get me elected.

BTW, after election THEN our church got tons of free publicity. When I spoke or voted on an issue, I was always listed "The Reverend Griffin"
    with the church name following. Brought lots of interest as I voted often agains liquor issues

This was 25+ years ago, so only sharing experience not any commentary on laws effective today.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This was in an email that came yesterday that you might find of interest. I get on a lot of "Christian" junk mail lists :-(

[FONT=&quot]Please read the [FONT=&quot]Alliance Defense Fund’s Churches and Politics: Your Freedom to Speak Biblical Truth: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://www.telladf.org/UserDocs/churchesandpolitics.pdf[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Thanks for the input...took the sign down, but did replace it with a couple of issue signs that are on the November ballot here in AR concerning a lottery and adoptions. I'll just have to live with the bumper stick i proudly placed on the minivan.:thumbs:

5. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I was told that because the parsonage driveway is right next to the church that I would be crossing the line if I even put bumper stickers on my private vehicles which are parked in front of the church building.

Not sure where the line is, but I keep my political views strictly Biblical or entirely to myself. If I can't find a passage which speaks directly to a political issue.... I leave it alone just to be safe. Only to save legal fees defending my constitutional rights.

I do preach on moral issues as the passage I am preaching brings them out... I am preaching through Galatians right now.

#5 j_barner2000, Oct 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008