1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Politically Right language

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread was this post:
    Well, Matt was correct on both counts - and here I will fully answer his comment. But I am NOT playing a word "game"
    Suppose I were to say that a dog had three legs and two tails? You would say I was being ridiculous. "But, I'm calling one of his legs a tail". Well, it is still a leg, no matter what I call it.

I am fed up with conservatives who allow themselves to fall into the trap of using "Politically Correct" language.

Why do Libs use such terms as "Pro-choice" or "Gay"? Because they don't sound so threating - those words sound "nice" and pleasing. Isn't it wonderful to be accepting and affirming of someones "choice".

Even in politics - why is someone an "undocumented alien" when they are illegal!!!

Why is Planned Parenthood afraid to say they are pro-abortion? Why doesn't an immoral person say they are a homosexual?

Sin is Sin - and should be referred to as such. I preached this past Sun, brought up Fritz Peterson and Mike Kekich. To the best of my knowledge only one other Yankee spoke out saying what they did was immoral.

To some extent - this is even a problem in our churches. Are pastors still preaching against sin? Instead of saying Adultery is sin, we say a man had an improper relationship. Instead of saying a man is a drunk - we say he has a disease (The only time the word drunk is acceptable is when referencing drunk driving)

I have come up with a term - L.E.F.T - Liberal Education For Terminology. Liberals insist - NO - they DEMAND we use certain terms to make sin sound acceptable and affirm their sinful lifestyle.

And Matt - I am just as vehemently opposed to sugar coating sin.

Likewise - I encourage all churches to count the soon-to-be-born in the attendance in our churches. Why - because we believe that a young child is a person. What would you think of a church who decided not to count any child in attendance under the age of 3 years old?

Salty

PS

PPS - this thread is not to be hijacked by anyone - except Matt :smilewinkgrin:

2. Squidward

Squidward Member

One thing that I personally do not like about calling alcoholism a disease is the word "disease" appears to take all responsibility from the drunk themselves and blame it on their addiction. The word "disease" is never labeled on a meth head so why do alcoholics get this pass? In my opinion, a disease is something that happened out of one's control. The alcoholic, no matter how bad they spiraled out of control, took the step of taking that first drink. Now other outcomes such as cirrhosis I would label a disease, but I would not label a behavior as a disease.

Sin may be a spiritual disease, but sin is still sin and homosexuals make a conscience effort to seek other homosexuals.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Salty...I love strawberry cheesecake. What about you?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brother who has abused drugs and alcoholic has tired to convince me that I am an alcoholic but our father was. So it is genetic?