1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Politico Admits Fabricating A Hit Piece On Ben Carson

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure, it's criticizing Obama. haven't we learned anything these last 7 years?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I see nothing in that story that says anyone at Politico admitted to fabricating anything. It says that the author of YOUR article is interpreting it as such. So why are YOU now fabricating things?
    The man lied for 25 years about getting a scholarship offer. He may not have thought much of it, and normally no one else would either.

But the damage is done and he's starting to look like a sociopathic, serial liar. He might just be a politician at heart after all.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Politico admitted he did not lie.

But as you say , the damage is done and any lie they can use to falsely discredit him is OK with the left.

But this time, since they ate crow, I doubt that it will work so well.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's interesting. When my daughter went to high school, one of the schools she was interested in was there. She spoke with them and showed them her transcript. They offered her right there verbally an $11,000 scholarship. No, we don't have it in writing because she ended up not applying. Does that mean it is a lie that she was offered a scholarship?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, where is the story where Politico or Cheney admitted that he did not lie? Link please. The story you list looks like an op ed in which the writer concludes they admitted they lied.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Nope. But Carson WASN'T offered a scholarship. It's semantics. But in this case, his semantics were stretched to say that he was offered a scholarship by Westmoreland.

The editor's note to the story;

D
    He's sounding like someone who just can't keep his stretches of the truth straight.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac - you've made it plain that you aren't voting for the man. Why do you feel it necessary to defend Politico and bash it through others' heads that you believe Carson lied?

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he didn't. General Westmoreland told him he could get him into West Point. Carson declined saying his life was going in another direction. And ALL West Point appointments are given with 100% scholarships. It is all taxpayer funded.

Look, I have no use for the man as a candidate. He is a neophyte, a Democrat until 2009, has no executive experience, no political experience, and has a questionable stance on civil rights and gun control.

But it is not necessary to make up lies about him. The radical left wing media is afraid of him for no reason. He will not get the GOP nod.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What does me not voting for him have to do with anything? I posted a story. Some folks don't think he lied. I think he did and has established a pattern of these stretches of the truth.

I'm not bashing it anymore than the folks who think it's a non-story or no big deal. Have you addressed them?Rolleyes

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a similar story. My oldest son was a National Merit Scholar Finalist. He got offers from several universities (Arizona State University, Oklahoma University, Univ. of Texas, others) promising a full ride scholarship including room and board if he was named a National Merit Scholar. Subsequently he was named a National Merit Scholar but he didn't apply to these schools nor take up these other schools on their offers. So when I say my son got a full ride scholarship at Arizona State University, it's the truth. But he turned them down. (I think I still have the letters around here somewhere.)

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No one is making up lies except for Carson. He has come out and said that it was HIS UNDERSTANDING that a full scholarship had been offered even though Westmoreland NEVER made such an offer because he couldn't.
    He's well aware that what he has written in his book and the story he has told again and again was a stretch of what actually happened.

It just sounds better to say "I was offered a full scholarship". Outside of politics no one would have questioned it as they didn't for nearly 20 years.

Now he continues trying to "clarify" several things about several stories. I've seen that many times before. It's a cover my behind approach to keep from having to say I stretched the truth deliberately.

Again, he created this problem. I don't really care about his lies because I'm not sure where he stands with Jesus.

There's just something OFF with him.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I disagree. Your son got conditional offers. You don't have an OFFER of a scholarship, full or otherwise, until the University sends it to you in writing and you sign it.

It's the same thing in athletics. Students often get conditional offers that hinge upon them qualifying. The ones who have qualified get ACTUAL offers. And often times, when they have given out conditional offers, they have the option of rescinding it if they find someone else. I haven't heard of any NMS sponsors, corporate or college, who have done that.

I went through the same thing as your son with the NMS ( Thank you for the money International Paper :) ). Schools go after you the same way they do for athletes

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course he could! ALL West Point appoints come with full, 100% scholarships! All of them. Every last one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac - you DO have an "offer" of a scholarship, full or otherwise. You signing it does not change its status as an "offer."

Carson being a civilian and Westmoreland being career military also provides different filters about how a message was given and how it was received. In military understanding, Westmoreland was telling Carson that he could get him into West Point. If you get into West Point, it's 100% tuition, room, and board. In civilian understanding, Carson heard Westmoreland telling him he would get a "full ride" -- i.e., a full scholarship.

What you consider a "lie" is a matter of perception.

Any more discussion on this subject is simply cantankerous back-and-forth, and doesn't serve any profitable purpose. Adieu.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Take a look for yourself. This is from Arizona State University. It certainly appears to me that they are offering a scholarship, not if he becomes a National Merit Scholar, but simply for being a National Merit Scholar Finalist.

[​IMG]

17. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, who expects the liar (Politico hack) to admit his lies to prove he's a liar. Scholarships to West Point are actually appointments, and they pay the students to attend the school in lieu of tuition:

[​IMG]

now slither back to Hillary

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds a whole lot like a scholarship to me. How could anyone ever doubt it?

19. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Many moons ago when I was applying for college I received four offers of scholarships they were "full scholarship" contingent upon my acceptance to the university. In reading the fine print they were (almost all) full tuition scholarships but I had to cover room and board. I would have no problem saying my offers were for full scholarship.

Likewise, I have a good friend who graduated from West Point decades ago and he fully believes Carson's story. Westmoreland was known for these conversations. At the point of time they Carson is describing, if a cadet was presented by Westmoreland it was a guaranteed admission.

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a conditional offer . That's what they all are until they send the contract and you sign it. But they don't send it, until you've met the requirements.

I remember thinking at the time, this is a lot of work to go through for what they really capped at $10,000 over 4 years. Now that wasn't too bad back when I was an undergrad. But today when school can cost an easy 50K a year. that feels like peanuts.