1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Politico Admits Fabricating A Hit Piece On Ben Carson

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Which well may be the case. But Carson has already said there wasn't an actual scholarship offer and that it was just his interpretation of what was said.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You say this like people don't know this. It doesn't change the fact that Carson wasn't offered a scholarship.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Again, no one is debating THAT. Cheney knew that as does anyone else who knows anything about the Service Academies. And knowing THAT and the process, it's quite easy to hear Carson's story and know that he was fabricating part of the story or simply didn't know what he was talking about.

But then again he thinks the pyramids were graineries.

4. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But he was verbally offered a scholarship by Westmoreland and the general's word would certainly be enough for a West Point appointment.

Now, Carson could be lying about Westmoreland, but who should I believe, the leftist MSM or Carson? Carson got admitted to Yale. You're stuck with the narrative the MSM fed you willingly.

The hacks at Leftico even lied about what the Carson camp said here, that they had "admitted" that Carson lied. They went "gotcha" and it blew up in their faces and they had to backtrack. Carson won't be your opponent any ways, but the way liberals attack a black conservative is just shameful. Believe that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What part did he fabricate? Westmoreland told him he could get him an appointment to West Point. Such appointments carry a 100% scholarship. Carson declined. What part of that is fabricated? Be specific.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He didn't decline a scholarship. He wasn't OFFERED a scholarship. :D School counselors tell kids what Westmoreland told Carson all the time. With your grades and activities, you can get this scholarship or that scholarship. Or you qualify for whatever. Those aren't scholarship offers.

According to Carson's camp
    That's NOT a scholarship offer. That's what visiting admissions reps tell any student they think meet the requirements for admissions and scholarships to their school.

I think I had 50 or 60 different schools to say that very thing. But actual scholarship AWARDING/OFFERING came after being accepted.

So either they told him they could HELP him get an appointment based on his grades and ROTC performance as his campaign manager said after the fact or they offered him a full scholarship as he says in his book.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sorry, no. My life is taking a different direction." That sounds to me like he declined. He certainly didn't accept so he must have declined!

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I can get you appointed to West Point." (Which includes a 100% tuition, room and board, and even a salary, scholarship.) Sounds like an offer to me.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If that was said to Westmoreland, he wasn't declining anything but the HELP to get a "scholarship"Biggrin as no scholarship offer could have been made.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you are being disingenuous. You add the word "awarding." Nobody claimed he was awarded the scholarship. It was an offer. He declined.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's not what his book says. His book says
    His campaign manager said
    Not I CAN GET. But we can HELP you get. That's what the campaign manager said to try and clarify.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Then throw out the awarding. I was explaining the process to show that he couldn't turn down the scholarship because a scholarship hadn't been awarded or offered to him. According to the campaign manager, he was told they could help him GET an appointment. There was nothing to turn down except the help in getting an appointment.

He lied in the book and said he turned down a full scholarship when he only turned down the HELP to get a full scholarship. West Point would have had to OFFER him a full scholarship for him to turn it down. He would have had to go through the admission's process to do so. He DIDN'T.

He turned down the HELP. He didn't turn down a full scholarship any more than I turned down full scholarships to the 50 or 60 schools who said I qualified for full scholarships.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When General Bill Westmoreland says he can get you an appointment he can get you an appointment. General Westmoreland was Army Chief of Staff (the highest ranking General in the Army) from 1968 to 1972. The conversation too place the summer before Carson entered Yale in 1969.

At the time Westmoreland told Carson he could get him an appointment to West Point Westmoreland was the highest ranking General in the US Army, and was the Commandant of West Point's boss. When the Chief of Staff says he can get you an appointment to West Point you can take it to the bank. It was a legitimate offer. Westmoreland did not blow smoke.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No, he was not verbally offered a full scholarship by Westmoreland according to the campaign manager.

In this instance believe the one who has credibility. Carson and his camp have backtracked because they know the book and the narrative in the book are inaccurate.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same thing. You are making a silly semantical argument. Why do you have such a dislike of Carson that you keep passing on the lie Politica told?

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I can get you into West Point." West Point appointments include a FULL SCHOLARSHIP! DUH!

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, they wouldn't. It is AUTOMATIC with an appointment, which Bill Westmoreland told him was in the bag!

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

The book says that he turned down a full scholarship. It doesn't say anything about " I can GET you an appointment" or " I can HELP you get an appointment" as his campaign manager has said.

Where in the book does it say that Westmoreland said he could GET him an appointment? I don't think anybody in Carson's camp has said that he was told by Westmoreland that he could GET him an appointment. They are saying that Westmoreland told him that he could HELP him get an appointment.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Where did Westmoreland say "I can get you into West Point"? That's not even something Carson's camp has said that Westmoreland said.

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Where did Bill Westmoreland tell him this? And you have to go through the admissions process to get an appointment. Though his chances would have been really good with Westmoreland's letter of recommendation, it's not automatic.

#60 Zaac, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015