1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll about tithing

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Alcott, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems there are usually one or more active threads that concern tithing on the boards most of the time. This is a comprehensive poll about our opinions of tithing and giving.

2. Timotheus

Timotheus New Member

Sorry, but some of the answers are silly, so I took a rain check voting on this one... :(

3. Brett

Brett New Member

Alright, who failed math? [​IMG]

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They should fit you just fine, then.

A significant part of the way I learned to interrogate is to ask some questions which are valid, some which are questionable, and some which are inane. You can detect a lot of keys to what people are thinking, what they are defensive about, what they will fake a chuckle about ....

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This poll has verified the point it was meant to make... there is little agreement about giving and 'tithing'. The only statement that gets more than 50% response is: "We should give as we are led to give-- not more nor less." And that, of course, is a very indefinite statement. So it's little wonder there are so many threads about the subject, with posters hoping their own views will be verified, instead of always being shot down from the pulpits and other sources.

6. Russ Kelly

Russ Kelly New Member

Alcott
    I hate to disagree with you, but there are actually practically ZERO discussions on this board about tithing which have drawn any response. I have tried to start three and a friend of mine tried to start one. Do a word search and you will discover that it is really very litle discussed.

By the way, the vote counter will not let me enter. I am able to post and am listed as Baptist. What is wrong? While I am posting, it still says that I am NOT logged in??????

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

And Russ is right. Tithing has lots of "little" threads with "little" discussion. Nobody wants to step in here.

BTW, I love the answer that changes giving from OBJECTIVE to SUBJECTIVE - I give what I feel like (oops, try to be spiritual - am "led" to). Looks like almost everyone was sucked into that one!!

I NEVER feel "led" to give much of anything. Money is not everything in life, but it ranks right up there with oxygen.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by Russ Kelly:
    Alcott
    I hate to disagree with you,...

Never mind the phony prologue.

...but there are actually practically ZERO discussions on this board about tithing which have drawn any response. I have tried to start three and a friend of mine tried to start one. Do a word search and you will discover that it is really very litle discussed.

I did the search, and the word "tithe" give 8 threads since the beginning of this year. OK, that's not as many as a lot of subjects, but the topic does come in other threads in which that particular word is not used.

Nevertheless, I think this poll does give substance to the very differing opinions suggested by these other discussions about giving, as well as to another topic indicated by the "being led to..." language; that of having some kind of ESP with God.