1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Poll: Americans not happy about shutdown; more blame GOP

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you imagine what a mess we would have if you let a small group of radicals cherry pick ... in essence have a line item veto on the budget.

By the way, can you imagine what a mess we would be in if you let a small group of radicals cherry pick the budget ... in essence have a line item veto? That is what you are advocating.

Now if the Republicans controlled the Senate and the Executive Dept. and the Democrats the House and the Democrats were acting like the Republicans you would be screaming about the terrible Democrats.

You say you are Independent, but you surely are a Republican apologist. Be honest about it. Thanks in advance.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am constantly amazed at the foresight of our founding fathers, giving those who directly represent the people the power to stop a law the people do not want.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You failed to address anything I actually said. Why is it that if the president exempts certain parts of a law, it's okay; but if House Republicans try to do it, it's "cherry picking" and wrong?

Further, it's COMPLETELY within the rights of the House to determine areas for which to appropriate funds. That's why they have annual appropriations bills. Things that are legal, within current law, have not received funding throughout the history of our country. Look up "legislation by appropriation."

Even, further, not appropriating funds does NOT mean that they are declaring a law no longer valid. The ACA has been authorized; funds have not been appropriated. In other words, the House has agreed that the ACA is legal; the current argument is about funds that support that law. Not providing funding does NOT mean the House is somehow "un-authorizing" the ACA.

You obviously haven't paid attention when I've recently talked about how sick and tired of the Senate Republicans I am...or when I used to rail against Bush and the Patriot Act...or any of a number of other times I've come out against Republicans.

I'll be honest about this: I lean towards conservatism.

Economically speaking, the ACA is a train wreck and always has been; and I oppose it vehemently. THAT is my honest stance, and has nothing to do with Republicans or Democrats.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

5. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth? You can't handle the truth.

6. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ObamaCare is less liberal than RomneyCare in MA. Please tell us what terrible things have happened in MA as a result of his health care law.