1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Divisive Dem Contest Could Boost McCain

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

As Democratic Senators Barack Obama of Illinois and Hillary Clinton of New York slug it out for the nomination, many of their supporters -- at least in Pennsylvania, site of the next major primary -- aren't committed to the party's ticket in November, according to a Franklin & Marshall College Poll.

Among Obama supporters, 20 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain of Arizona, the Republican nominee, if Clinton beats their candidate for the nomination. Among Clinton supporters, 19 percent said they would support McCain in November if Obama is the Democratic nominee.
    (See poll)

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=/Politics/archive/200803/POL20080321a.html

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't a lot of conservatives say bascially the same thing about Senator McCain during the GOP primaries? However, come November 4 the vast majority of these folks will end up voting for Senator McCain.

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Yes. Its looking good for McCain dont ya think? The Democrat party is a mess.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    7.5 months to go. 7.5 months to go. But go ahead. Republicans counting their chickens before they hatch is fine by me. :laugh:

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think there is a lot to this poll.

Last night I had a conversation with my brother who is a democrat that works in a Steel Mill with a large group of other democrats . A lot of what he said supports this thinking as well. What he has seen in recent weeks is that

1. The White and Hispanic democrats he works with have said that this deal with Obama's pastor has opened their eyes to the real Obama and he will no longer get their vote. If he is the candidate in Nov they will either not vote or vote for McCain.

2. The Black democrats he works with have said that if Hillary some way finds a way to win the nomination they will not vote for her and will either not vote or vote for McCain.

Interesting stuff...

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us level-headed Americans - white, black, yellow, brown, and red - will unite come the autumn to defeat Senator McCain.

You conservatives will see. You conservatives will see.

By the time we get through defining Senator McCain even you conservatives will wonder why you support him. :)

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==McCain has very little chance of winning in November. However it is not impossible. If the Democratic Party tears itself apart along racial/gender lines during this primary, McCain could very well win in November. I doubt that will happen however.

As for "level-headed Americans", no level-headed person would vote for someone like Obama or Clinton who will, make no mistake about it, bankrupt our country with their big government programs. Our country is in serious trouble. This administration has cut taxes and increased spending. A stupid move by any level-headed calculation. Obama and Clinton will do nothing to change that. Both will set out to grow the size and scope of the federal government. Our economy will continue to sink, and if nothing is done to turn things around, the country will go bankrupt in our lifetimes. What we need in this country is massive spending cuts, a small federal government, a humble foreign policy, and very low taxes. Obama and Clinton are opposed to all of that. As for Iraq, they are no different than McCain (who at least is willing to be truthful about how long we are likely to be in Iraq). Clinton knows, and Obama will find out if elected, that pulling troops out is not something that can be done quickly. It will take time. It is also something that must be done in a way that does not make the situation on the ground worse than it already is. So don't get your hopes up. An Obama or Clinton presidency would do little positive. McCain knows that troops will be in Iraq for years to come. McCain understands that we must cut taxes and, as he has made clear in the past, cut spending.

I have said it before, and I say it again, I don't understand how someone could logically be a Ron Paul supporter and then turn to Obama. I know you have talked about civil liberties and foreign policy, but it still makes no sense. Obama's big government ideology is unconstitutional and it represents a danger to our country's future. His foreign policy is a mystery. He does not have the experience to know what he will or will not do. All he can do is talk.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The longer this battle goes on between these two, the better off this nation is.

9. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Can we vote "none of the above"?

:laugh:

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true. The longer the Democratic campaign has gone on both candidates have become better candidates, better debaters. Both will be more primed to defeat Senator McCain on November 4 than if either one had wrapped up the nomination by February 5.

Senator McCain would be an absolute disaster as president of these United States.