1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll-Does Your Church Visit Pagan Pride Events

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by IronWill, Jun 14, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  3. No, who cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, we're not ready to do so.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Does your church visit local Pagan Pride Events to pass out literature and witness to Pagans? If you vote no, why not? If you vote yes, what methods do you use?

2. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

I'm not sure if they even have Pagan Pride Events where I live, although I do know there is quite a number of pagans and those who do witchcraft. Especialy Wicca.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone is a heathen over here, but I don't know of any Japanese "pagans" in the sense you are talking about.:type: Maybe there are some down in Tokyo--we are kind of countrified up here on Hokkaido!

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I don't think we have "pride" events here, either. I suspect though that if we did my church would not be attending them.

I suspect that anyone who would participate in a "pride" event would be unreceptive to a gospel tract, and most likely would see it as us targeting them. Which of course, we would be in that case.

We just pass out tracts to everyone wherever we meet them. At least that's our goal.

5. IronWill

IronWill New Member

I know they have PPD events in Anchorage...not sure of anywhere else in Alaska.

6. IronWill

IronWill New Member

There's one in or near Milwaukee...I guarantee it. Most of the time, Pagans aren't completely unreceptive to Christians coming, as long as the Christians aren't belligerent and rude, and are willing to listen to what they have to say as well.

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

IronWill,

than I don't think I know what you mean by Pagan Pride events. Is that actually what they are called everywhere?

I mean we have Summerfest which has basically turned into a long drunken party with loud rock music down by the riverside.

Ive heard of Gay Pride parades, but maybe I just don't pay enough attention to know that we're having one around here.........

8. Cailiosa

Cailiosa New Member

I don't live in Anchorage, but we do go to the summer soltsice events and street preach and pass out tracks. Summer soltice events are the closest we get up here I think to an actual public pagan activity.

9. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Yes, "Pagan Pride Day." It was started based on the success of "Gay Pride Day." It's basically a day where they take over a Public park, sell items related to paganism, have a couple rituals, and try to inform the public on what Pagans really believe.

10. gekko

gekko New Member

its not neccessarily a yes for my whole church - me and a couple people i know do this - whenever we have the chance.

i mean... look at all those lost souls. how could you NOT go out there?

11. BCF Jeff

BCF Jeff New Member

Sorry Will, I'm not overly familiar with the Pagan Pride events. I haven't heard of any but wouldn't be suprised if there was one near by.

BTW, a church member of mine has a teen that has begun dressing Goth and expressing Pagan thoughts. I would appreciate any tips you have in communicating God's love to her and the falsehood of paganism.

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm sure that IronWill has some good tips for you, but I'll go ahead and respond since my ministry covers this area. I used to be an astrologer and I had a lot of Pagan clients and friends. These are just general ideas as I don't know the girl or her background or family, or exactly how deeply she is involved in Paganism.

It would help to know her age -- my suggestions for age 13 would be somewhat different than for age 16 or 17. I am guessing she might be around 13 or 14, since that seems to be the prime age when girls first get interested in Wicca and also when some start dressing Goth.

First of all, I think the teen should be asked what she believes and listened to. She will more likely hear what anyone has to say to her if this is done. Also, this way her parents or pastor or whoever has a more accurate idea of what she is believing.

The adult should be informed on whatever the teen has interest in. Just fyi, I have an article on Wicca on my site, and one on Goth (which was published in a Christian journal). The links are:

http://cana.userworld.com/cana_wicca.html

http://cana.userworld.com/cana_Goth.html

One contrast to point out is that usually Wiccans and Pagans believe that there is no absolute good or evil, and that even their gods (or the Goddess) have a dark side. I like to talk about how the true God is all light with no darkness at all (1 Jn. 1.5).

I would ask the teen who she thinks Jesus is and why he came. The adult can point out what Jesus said himself, as in Matt. 16, that he must be killed and that on the third day be raised again. Why would he say this? Point out how he repeated this to the disciples. This gives the adult a chance to say why Jesus came to earth. Even in evangelical churches, people miss the gospel sometimes.

One thing I try to avoid is quoting the Bible, especially by chapter and verse, as it sounds like you're showing off. I usually say, "God says that..." or "Jesus said that...." But it depends on the person -- if the teen has had a lot of exposure to the Bible it might be good to sit with her and read the passages with her if she's open to that.

I would want to know how she came to be interested in this -- the Internet, a book, friends at school?? Why is she interested? Ask her what it is about Christianity she doesn't like and what is it about Paganism that seems to make it better. This question, if she answers, will provide a lot of fuel for conversation!

I started talking in churches about Wicca in 1995, but bascially the adults either didn't seem to believe what I was saying or that it was a problem. I even told someone that when Christians started having children getting into Wicca or when Wiccans started coming to youth group, then adults are going to suddenly take note. And that's what has happened.

Just fyi, a book on the occult that I was asked to write by Cook is coming out Sept. 1st (SpellBound). This is written primarily for parents but also for anyone who works with children or teens. It gives info on what the occult is, how it's marketed in our culture, and how to talk to your kids about it (including answering their objections to your stand). The Foreword is by Norman Geisler. It can be pre-ordered on Amazon and I think, on CBD. I have a page on my site that gives the info and the links to Amazon, etc.
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_SpellBound.htm

13. IronWill

IronWill New Member

Nothing wrong really with Goth. However, if she's getting into Paganism, that is cause for concern. I agree with Marcia, one should start with finding out what exactly she is into. That is a good starting poing. I would also recommend a book by a friend, Jeff Harshberger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0882709127/103-2936097-9692625?v=glance&n=283155

If you have anything specific to ask, I'll be more than happy to help. Otherwise, you can check out the articles at Marcia's site, or at http://www.exwitch.org or http://www.outoftheshadowsministries.org

14. ChelleBell

ChelleBell New Member

No Pagan Pride events around SE KY, that i know of, unless you count Halloween etc.

For those of you who do have opportunity, i have a suggestion. The word “Pagan” was originally used to describe people living in rural areas, who refused to be baptized into the Catholic “Church”. You would want to research it yourself, but, to the best of my rememberer the word translates roughly “country bumpkin”.

You could make a connection with them by talking about how it was your spiritual ancestors who were originally called pagans because they refused to :baptize babies or be baptized into the Catholic Church.