1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Good Reviews For Obama Speech

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 22, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    63% of Americans agree with Senator Obama's views on race relations and 71% say that he did a good job explaining his relationship with Pastor Wright.

70% say the events surrounding Pastor Wright will not influence their voting and among the rest they are evenly split as to whether the events make it more likely or less likely that they will vote for Senator Obama.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/21/opinion/polls/main3958295.shtml

2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Well looks like this controversy is pretty much over, and it's not even April yet. :thumbs:

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, Obama basically turned it around that the white people in America are responsible for Wright and his racism. He is one smooth talker, I'll give him that. I bet many white americans took this bait into shouldering the guilt of all racism in America.

I won't.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Gee, how surprising is that!

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're surprised at what...that I won't and shouldn't feel guilty, and that Obama and Wright's racism is not my fault :confused:

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Ti 4:1¶I charge [thee] therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
    2Ti 4:2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
    2Ti 4:3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
    2Ti 4:4And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
    2Ti 4:5But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So, how do those passages have anything to do with poll results?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    2Th 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Praise God! The rapture is getting closer!

God Bless! :jesus:

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scratch your ears MP. You will understand one day.

God Bless! :thumbs:

10. Magnetic Poles

Rapture...riiiight. :laugh:

So what has that got to to with the public opinion poll on a political speech?

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I missed this part of the speech. Are you putting words in his mouth or can you show me this part of the speech? Don't say he implied something, show me where he said this and fooled 70% of the people.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

13. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It's always interesting how my own little poll never seems to match up with the ones reported. I'll bet 90% of the people in my neck of the woods - a rather diverse bunch - don't agree with what Obama's really pushing for. They often shake their heads at the published polls wondering who in the world did they contact!

Why don't the polls - or at least the one quoted - reflect that? I don't know! Maybe it's because a lot of smart people just hang up when they're called. Maybe they're busy doing something more productive and aren't around to answer the telephone call. Maybe they don't like the way the questions are asked. Maybe they're suspicious of cold callers and don't trust someone they don't know.

Then again, maybe they actually are in the minority and just not "going with flow". That's often the right thing to do - it's what we teach our children! If fact, you can often tell what's right by watching what "everyone else is doing" and who's supporting whom.

But who cares? Not me - I'm sticking with what I think is right regardless what the polls report! I like making up my own mind!

I didn't like Obama's speech - it convinced me what he's really about, I don't think his ideas on "race relations" are worth a flip, I think he has a warped view of our nation's history, I think he's heavily influenced by black liberation theology, and I think he's really all about buying votes to build his dream of more federal government programs, more transfer of wealth, and more government social re-engineering all the benefit. You can bet that "typical white people", "big business", "rich white men", etc. - but in reality the common man as well - won't be the benefactors of any of these ideas. They'll be the ones that fund it with the fruit of their own labor, however, at the expense of their own liberty and prosperity. Even the "oppressed" won't really benefit - they'll just become more deeply dependent upon their handouts.

The real poll will be in November and that's when the "typical people" that vote will hopefully be thinking more wisely than the "typical people" who responded to the quoted poll.

Meanwhile, there'll be other issues and there's still a long road to travel for all the political aspirants in the race. The news media will decide what to put in front of our faces every night.

14. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Thanks for Kathleen Parker analysis of his speech which was extremely narrow minded and also implied many things he didn't say. She even admitted she was reading betweent the lines of his speech. However I asked where in his speech did he say white people in America are responsible for Wright and his racism. I still don't see those words in his speech.

16. Magnetic Poles

LB, it doesn't matter to conservatives. If they can't find anything in your words to disagree with, they'll make up something you didn't say to disagree with. :BangHead:

17. billwald

billwald New Member

How many of you unprejudiced white Christians would be real happy if your teenaged daughter came home with a black boy friend? Remember, at least at easter, you can go to hell for lying.

If the choice is between a black Harvard lawyer who hates white people and a white nut case who thinks the Iraq War will last 50 years . . . I pray we get the racist.

18. Magnetic Poles

For me, absolutely would not be a problem, if he were a decent young man...and that is a criteria for whatever race. How about this choice...nice young Christian black kid, or a punk white kid who treats her like crap?

19. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

1st off there is no such thing as an un-prejudiced anybody, be they Christian or not.
    2nd, My daughter is dating a black man, and for your FYI, no I was not overly pleased with it when it happened, but she is my daughter, and I now love her and I aslways will. and as long as he treats her right, everything will be fine.
    3rd, how would you as an unprejudiced black Christian feel if your teen-aged daughter came home with a white boy friend, and I could care less if it is Easter, but remember, lying in in form is a sin, and if you are truly Christian you will not go to hell for lying but you sure will not make God very happy.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You go to hell for rejecting Christ, not lying.