Poll on Debate Forums, Learning Forums - version 2

Discussion in 'Member Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' started by CF1, Dec 3, 2010.

?

Would you like to see a Learning Forum on Baptist Board?

1. Yes, because the debate boards encourage a disrespectful tone

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Yes, because sometimes I just want to learn from others, not debate

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Yes, and the Learning Forums should have all subcategories as the DEBATE Forums have

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. No, because debating is how I learn best

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. No, because I really like to debate

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. No, I don't see people showing disrespect for others in Debate Forums

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CF1

CF1
    Expand Collapse

The first time I tried to post this topic, I got an error message, and the poll did not work, so I'll try again.

Rather than only have the following categories of forums:

Baptist DEBATE Forum
    Baptist Fellowship Forum
    Christian DEBATE Forum
    Christian Fellowship Forum
    etc

How many would like the categories below:

Baptist Learning Forum
    Baptist DEBATE Forum
    Baptist Fellowship Forum
    Christian Learning Forum
    Christian DEBATE Forum
    Christian Fellowship Forum
    etc

Then, rather than viewing our discussions as debates, they could be viewed as learning from each other.

The Fellowship Forums have only a limited number of sub-categories.
    Learning Forums could have all the sub-categories in the DEBATE forums and in the Fellowship Forums.

Is this something you would find beneficial?

2. BobinKy

BobinKy
    Expand Collapse

I think separating learning from debating is an excellent idea.

Questions for consideration
    Do you have a way to prevent an individual or group from hijacking a thread in the learning forums, thereby turning a learning situation into debate?

Is it possible to limit the number of posts by a single member in a single thread?

Or possibly an automated PM to members exceeding a number of posts in a single thread; something like a reminder about online etiquette?

...Bob

3. CF1

CF1
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Bob

For many years I've participated in online forums, beginning in the 90s when forums were called "list-serves" and you got emails on topic, rather than going to the internet.

In the early 90s there were many flame wars as people didn't know how to communicate with email etiquette in a public, written manner. Over the years online etiquette has developed, and become more polished and refined for most of the forums I visit.

I'm concerned I might be even embarrased to recommend the Baptist Board to some newer Christians or those seeking to learn because they might think Baptists are typically quarrelsome and immature. I don't believe this is true but some people might say some posts come accross this way.

I particpate in non-Christian forums for various hobbies and business professional forums. Those I participate in have members and moderators who steer and guide people to be kind, respectful, and supportive of other members ideas. Members who join who demonstrate such styles of communication receive a lot of appreciation. Members who don't are in the minority and are guided to be kind, not take things personal, always with the goal of learning, not proving anything. There are some great online communities. Some have a "No 3G's rule": no talking about God, Government, and Guns. Many are clearly not Christian, but they are the kindest people as they help each other with their extensive knowledge on a particular hobby.

I switch from hobby and business forums on over to the Baptist Board and just wish the Baptist Board had a Forum approach for those looking for learning too. I would not be surprised if some of those on the Debate Forums would switch to Learning Forums if they were available.

Fellowship forums are different than learning, and the sub-categories in Fellowship are different than those in the Debate area.

Since around 60 people have viewed this poll but not yet voted, it looks like most of the current active members here do not see a real need for a learning forum, so I accept that and will continue to try to appreciate everyone's views as presented in the Debate forums.

Thanks to everyone for contributing and supporting this board. I enjoy learning from all of you.