1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll on Supporting a New Church Plant

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 7, 2010.

1. mandym

mandym New Member

If you do not allow it in your church why would you support another church that does it. That would be inconsistent at best and hypocritical at worst.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Many good Baptist churches in Europe use the real thing. I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't drink the whole bottle at one sitting.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Why would it be either? I support missionaries that are IFB from our SBC church- is that hypocritical or inconsistent?

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Being other than IFB and holding to something deemed as immoral are two different things.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Anyone familiar with distilled drink knows that YEAST is the active agent to bring fermentation to the wine.

"Fermented wine" is NOT "unleavened" (yeast free) as has been supposed.

If one wants "unleavened" wine, then the wine that has no yeast added is that wine which is not "fermented;" it contains all the natural sugars and only yeast that occurs naturally within the grape development. Just as the "unleavened" bread contains whole flour and that has trace natural occurring yeast.

All modern "fermented" wine uses cultured yeast products that are added and blended. Just as any schooled chef knows that yeast is added to cause breads to rise but that all whole wheat flour contains a form of natural yeast - just not enough to cause the bread to rise.

More to the point, I personally would not support this assembly.

If I were the pastor of a near assembly in the same state or in the same association, I might consider bringing up the planting needs to my assembly and considering some type of "love offering" in which believers may contribute as impressed by the Holy Spirit.

Teaching the appropriate perspective on intoxicants is not a "ludicrous" topic. Those who teach abstinence and the appropriate doctor prescribed use of intoxicants were not just in this last 100 years.

Paul would not have instructed Timothy if drinking wine were "the new-fangled abstinence standeeeerd made by man."

#65 agedman, May 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Drinking wine for Communion is immoral? How so?

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

That would be my ? also.

8. mandym

mandym New Member

I am not arguing that. What I am saying is that if a church finds any alcohol consumption immoral and that is the doctrine they teahc and hold to then why would they support a church plant that uses alcohol under any circumstance. That would be inconsistent at best and hypocritical at worst.

9. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

Our communion wine is made from just grapes (nothing added and nothing taken away), as many wines are. You post shows that you have limited understanding of enology.

That is all.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a matter of local church preference, autonomy and soul liberty.

HankD

11. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Alcohol consumption is not immoral- if that is true that someone taking Nyquil would be immoral. Drunkenness is immoral.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

I have not said it is. You need to read the context of my post rather than get defensive.

13. mandym

mandym New Member

Man, people really need to read my words instead of taking them out of context.

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the Southern Baptist North American Mission Board standard for church planters:

http://www.namb.net/self-assessment/

Furthermore:

15. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may have limited understanding in many things, but the post is accurate as well as this one.

The wines of the day are made by adding yeast. If the wine is "fermented" either the natural yeast has bittered the wine, or yeast has been added.

The "unleavened" is to be without added yeast. Because natural wheat has limited yeast and natural grape juice has limited yeast, that is the elements that are appropriate for the Lord's supper. It was never the case that natural occurring yeast was not in the unleavened bread and wine. It was that there was no ADDING of yeast to the mixtures.

Those who mingle intoxicants into the Lord's supper actually are bringing in some level of added yeast.

16. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

While I can appreciate this for whatever reason, is taking a part in Communion with barely a sip of wine considered "using alcohol"?

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look upon the Cross of Christ for the answer.

First sip - water with no intoxicant - accepted and enjoyed.

Send sip - water with intoxicant - spit out.

Would you drink the water from a pool if you knew it contained only one sip of bird leavings? :flower:

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Immoral was the word YOU used to describe using wine in the Lord's Supper.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

You would be surprised (and likely appalled) if you knew what is in the water you drink!

20. mandym

mandym New Member

You have continued to rip that out of context.