1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Personal Bible reading

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by BobinKy, Oct 27, 2010.

?
  1. Follow devotional guide

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. Read the Bible through--single path

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Read the Bible through--multiple paths, such as Psalms, OT, NT, Gospel

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  4. Subject or theme lookup

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  5. Jump around in my reading

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. Seldom read the the Bible for personal use

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Never read the Bible for personal use

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BobinKy

BobinKy New Member

What is your technique for personal Bible reading?

Please post a few comments about this question or your response.

Thank you.

...Bob

#1 BobinKy, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I have a "Daily Devotional Bible" that's designed to take you through the Bible in one year.

Normally it covers 2-3 chapters in the OT, a portion of the Psalms & Proverbs, and a chapter (or part of one if it's a long chapter) of the NT

It also has a short devotion based on a passage that was covered in the daily readings.

Right now I'm on Jeremiah 41-42, Psalm 119:89-96, Proverbs 28:2 & 2 Timothy 1.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

All of the above but the last two?? I am reading through the Bible, using Tabletalk from Ligonier and then I have my ESV Study Bible. So I'm using a few different methods to do my Bible reading depending on how much time I have. :)

4. mikemaccalla

mikemaccalla New Member

I read 49 chapters per day. Multiple paths. 26 ch. O.T.; 5 ch Ps; 18 ch. N.T.

This takes me through the O.T. once per month, and the N.T. twice per month.

I take notes of parralell passages and word occurences each read through.

5. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

Wow! Do you start in Genesis and read straight through?

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of the time I study books, spending quite a bit of time working through the themes and the details in the text. While I read, I consider what I'm reading in the context of the book, then try to make connections to other biblical texts.

Currently, I'm working carefully through the Gospel of John for the first time in more than a decade. It coincides with my teaching through John in an adult Sunday School class, although I'm about 7-8 chapters ahead of the class at all times. It's going to take us a full year to get through John because the text is so rich and the class is digging deeply into it with lots of discussion and insightful questions.

Before the end of November, I am going to work through the synoptic gospels in a thematic study of Jesus and His practice of the spiritual disciplines as they are recorded there. My intention is to try to emulate what He did more effectively in my own life.

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally read the NT straight through, but I jump around more in the OT. I usually look up OT passages by subject or theme. If I see an OT reference in the NT that I want to learn more about, I will find the passage and read it.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Though it takes more than the "year" race-course style, I read the Bible through in a different translation.

I spend my devotional time in texts in sermon prep since it takes about 20 hours to fully develop a sermon. So obviously those verses will get utmost attention during the weeks prior to preaching it.

When the children were younger and home we used devotional type booklets to assist them in "habitual" reading.