1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Views on the Millennial Reign of Christ

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

People who have studied through the years know the difference as to what is to be taken literally and what should be understood as an expression of truth.

4. 'Eyes of fire'--Not literal but an expression of what it will be to enter His Presence and have Him look at you. He is awesome holiness beyond our imagination.

7. 'Sharp as a to edged sword' Not literal, but an expession of what His authority will do in Revelation 19:15,18. Perhaps the words of His mouth and authority will bring death to so many sinners at His Second Coming.

8. 'Rule with a rod of iron' Not literal. He will devour the wicked by His sovereign might. [Rev. 19:15 & Zechariah 14:18 ' . . . the Lord will smite the heathen.'

9. 'Winepress of His fury' Not literal. Like trudging in the winepress He will totally stamp out the wicked at the Second Coming.

As for me, I believe the rest of your references are to be taken literally. Even in 4,7,8,9 there is a truth to be understood behind the illustration of John's words.

Dr. Berrian

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

If plainly you mean literally, then yes, I am critical of that. But plainly means its plain meaning within genre and context.

Thank you. Your answer then is NO, the saints will not wear literal gowns of linen. The verse is figurative.
    Thank you. Your answer then is NO, we will NOT sit at a table and eat a literal wedding dinner. The verse is figurative.
    Thank you. Your answer then is NO, Christ will NOT appear on a literal white horse. The verse is figurative.

Thank you. Your answer then is NO, Christ will NOT have literal eyes of fire. The verse is figurative.
    Thank you. Your answer then is NO, Christ' clothes be literally dipped in blood. The verse is figurative.
    That was my point.

Thanks you ..well, you know the answer.
    Thank you. Your answer then is NO, Christ will NOT a literal sharp sword in his mouth to strike down the nations. The verse is figurative.

And he already does.
    Thank you. Your answer then is NO, Christ will NOT literally tread a winepress of the fury. The verse is figurative.
    Thank you. Your answer then is NO, Christ will NOT have written on his robe and on his thigh a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords. The verse is figurative.

If we agree all this is figurative, why then is 1000 years, not? How do you determine what is and what isn't?
    Yes. Roman Catholicism and Islam, perhaps?
    :D

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting; I've considered the first, but never tho't of the second?!?! :confused: Interesting indeed in light of modern events!

4. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

jwp:

This is the historic protestant understanding. See http://www.historicism.org for resources.

5. LP

LP New Member

6. LP

LP New Member

This one is always a stumper for "the things are getting worse and worse and will till Jesus comes and raptures us out" folks.

MT 13:33 He told them still another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into a large amount of flour until it was all leavened."

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Why to people who do not believe in the Kingdom Age--the 1,000 year reign of Christ on the earth, for the most part, interpret the Old and New Testament literally, until they turn to that page named, Revelation.

This should cause thinking people to see an amber, caution light.

The reason in short . . . . can't fit it into my eschatology.

Ray

8. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

Perhaps you should look at how "yeast" (or "leaven", as it says in my Bible) is used in the rest of the Bible. I think you'll find it generally represents EVIL! You can't use this to "stump" those of us who think things will get worse; why, I think you've "hit your own wicket!" :D

So, what do I think it means? I think it means that the Kingdom truths will be distorted (e.g. Origen and Augustine teaching amillennialism), and that their perverted doctrine would grow and fill the whole church. Even now, I think that many "pre-mills" have missed the most important point (as taught by the Bible and the early church) - that not all
    Christians are guaranteed entrance into the kingdom! (But then that's a WHOLE different argument!) [​IMG]

Your friend and brother,

Bartholomew

9. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bartholomew
    I would love to hear (see) an expansion of this concept! :confused:

10. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

According to your view He is having a real hard time ruling the nations. Not too successful.

Ray

11. LP

LP New Member

Perhaps you should look at how "yeast" (or "leaven", as it says in my Bible) is used in the rest of the Bible. I think you'll find it generally represents EVIL! </font>[/QUOTE]Amazing. Beyond belief. The kingdom of heaven is evil heresy and and corruption that will go all over until THE WHOLE kingdom is evil.

Wow. That is some view of the kingdom and its Christ that you have.

I would say it borders on blasphemy, but that you are probably just a more or less innocent caught up in your tradition.

12. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

Perhaps you should look at how "yeast" (or "leaven", as it says in my Bible) is used in the rest of the Bible. I think you'll find it generally represents EVIL! </font>[/QUOTE]Amazing. Beyond belief. The kingdom of heaven is evil heresy and and corruption that will go all over until THE WHOLE kingdom is evil.

Wow. That is some view of the kingdom and its Christ that you have.

I would say it borders on blasphemy, but that you are probably just a more or less innocent caught up in your tradition.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Typical. Just typical. I'm not here for a slanging match or throwing insults, but it looks like you are. Have you actually READ what I said? Why didn't you quote ALL my post??? What you wrote there is NOT what I believe, and NOBODY honestly reading what I wrote could possibly think so. Go back and read it ALL. And to claim I'm just holding to tradition!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Why don't you check a matter out before accusing me??? :confused: I was brought up a Calvinist Anglican, if you must know. I only came to believe premillennialism because I read it IN THE BIBLE. Why resort to name-calling? Is your argument SO devoid of scripture? :confused:

Your friend and brother,

Bartholomew

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Word of warning: When people are debated and disrespected instead of various ideas, we usually lock up a thread.

A word to the wise - deal with the issues if you want to contribute. Don't care what you think of Tim LaHaye or each other; it's the battle over the IDEAS presented that is the scope of this thread.

Thanks!

14. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

I would love to hear (see) an expansion of this concept! :confused: </font>[/QUOTE]Sure, as soon as I find time to write something that does it justice. But it might be worth starting a new topic about it, as it's an argument about WITHIN premillennialism, not over whether or not it's true. But if you're interested, there are some good articles about it at:

http://www.daveandangel.com/CRN/Kingdom/KJournalIndex.html

Your friend and brother,

Bartholomew

P.S. Sorry if I over-reacted to LP's post. [​IMG]
    P.P.S. Who is Tim LaHaye, Dr. Bob?

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dear LP,

You wrote…

&lt;&lt;Amazing. Beyond belief. The kingdom of heaven is evil heresy and and corruption that will go all over until THE WHOLE kingdom is evil. &gt;&gt;

Will there not be that to some degree or another?

Matthew 13 which deals with the infiltration of the Kingdom (such as the parable of the wheat and the tares) with the children of the evil one ends with this fearful note:

Matthew 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather
    out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
    42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

HankD

[ March 08, 2002, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]