1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Would You Accept A Church of Christ Immersion as a Valid NT Baptism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Tom Butler, Aug 28, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  3. Other I'll explain below

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. What you mean only immersion is valid? (the Presbyterian et al option)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

havensdad, I apologize to you and lbaker. I was wrong to post that comment, and I ask your forgiveness. I have no excuse. Both of you have every right to resent what I wrote, and I am sorry for offending two brothers in Christ.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I have read Beasley-Murray's book on Baptism, and he does have a different slant. I don't read scholarly writings very well, but if I understood him, he held that at the moment of water baptism, a new convert also receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

That's certainly a different slant, and I don't agree with it. But Dr. Beasley-Murray's intellectual firepower should cause one not to reject his contention out of hand, but to at least examine his rationale.

The discussion has drifted from the original poll question, which asked if you would accept a Church of Christ baptism. We have been discussing the role of baptism in salvation. That said, it's obvious that some of our posters agree with you on both counts.

#102 Tom Butler, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Regardless of what is correct or not when it comes to baptism, I have never, ever met even one CofC member that accepts me as a "brother in Christ" because they think that they are the only saved folks on earth. the rest of us are lost because we werent baptised for the right reason and in the right way.

We may call them "brothers in Christ" till we are blue in the face, but they will never accept us as such.

AJ

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When in college we had a theology prof that invited in men from all sorts of churches to interact with us on different topics.

The CofC man (topic of baptism :) got right down to business in his opening prayer mentioning that he was there to save us from Hell and he asked god to open our eyes to our false doctrine and to save us.

I can't quote the man but he was there to dunk us and get us saved very definitely.

5. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Hey Bro. Tom,

No problem. We all get a little tense on here sometimes, but iron sharpens iron.

Bro. Les

6. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Sounds like he was tactless, yet insensitive...

7. lbaker

lbaker New Member

You are right. Excellent article!

8. lbaker

lbaker New Member

Well I guess that leaves it up to us to set a good example.

9. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sounds like he was tactless, yet insensitive..."

True but certainly showing his true commitment to what he believed :thumbs:

#109 exscentric, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is the other point I was making with the links I posted that give clear evidence of the CoC cultic beliefs. They do believe they are the true restored NT church and no other church is. This is part of their history and teaching, even if some CoC ministers may not reject it, it remains part of their official teaching. And you are not saved if you have not been baptized by them.

11. lbaker

lbaker New Member

12. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

This explains your confusion with true biblical doctrine today.

AJ

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

No matter how many CofC you consider to be "brothers in Christ"....I have never, ever met even one that would consider any person outside the CofC as a "brother in Christ".

If they dont consider me a brother, then are they really my brother?

AJ

14. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I believe this to be the most biblically accurate post I have seen in this thread.:thumbs:

AJ

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Sorry to argue with you, but every single one of the CofC that I have ever met (including some family members) state that baptism is required for salvation and that they are the only true church, and I am going to hell because I am not one of them.

AJ

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I wrote Mac Lynn, pretty much one of the most well respected CoC theologians in the world. He actually wrote me back. We talked about other things, besides Baptism, but here are the snippets...

And....

And...

Not exactly "We are the only way"...

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Havensdad, What did Mack Lyon have to say about the role of baptism in salvation? It's not mentioned in the quotes you have from him.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What we are discussing here, I thought, was the historical and official views of the CoC, not some who may disagree.

It could be that some want to depart from some of the CoC teachings, and I do believe this is true, but that does not change what the CoC officially teaches.

This happens all the time with groups likek, for example, the Mormons. You can find BYU professors who disagree or don't believe some of the official Mormon teachings, but that does not change what the Mormon church teaches officially. Of course, these professors can't go outright against the Mormon church, but they disagree in subtle or minor ways.

Same with the SDA church. You can always find some SDA pastors or teachers who, for example, do not hold Ellen White as a prophet or who do not focus on her teachings, but that is not the official teaching or view of the SDA church.

Until the CoC makes official changes in their doctrine and teachings, it remains that salvation is applied at the moment of water baptism.

19. Ed Franklin

Ed Franklin New Member

As far as the original question, I voted "no".......and wanted to relate this particularly sad (to me) story about such a situation.

In my previous church I worked closely with the pastor in visitation and so forth since he was a one-man staff. We had a couple move to town, visit regularly and express interest in joining the congregation.

One evening in their home, the man of the family related the story of his baptism. It was at the hands of a Church of Christ minister who was a personal friend. Our prospect did not actively become a member of that minister's congregation or any other. He was simply baptized and went on about his business.

Now he had a convincing testimony of conversion; I have no reason to question that. But he was insistent that he would not be baptized again. He saw no need for it. He stated emphatically that if baptism was required, he would never join our congregation.

My pastor, driven by the urgency to "grow the church' relented, actually side-stepped the issue when presenting the prospects to the deacons and again when introducing the couple to the congregation.

I thought it was an outrage. Not just theologically unsound, because of the Church of Christ theology tying water baptism to salvation, but because of the disingenuous behavior of the pastor who thought more of increased numbers than Biblical doctrine.

20. lbaker

lbaker New Member

I really don't see the problem, as long as they see faith as the active agent in conversion and not some kind of magic in the water. We are talking about a difference in the timing of salvation not the "cause" of it. Seems like that wouldn't invalidate the baptism.