1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

POLL - Would You Change Your Eating Habits if . . .

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Magnetic Poles, Jul 4, 2008.

?
  1. NO - I don't care, and would not give up my favorite food

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. YES - My body is the temple of the Lord, and I will do whatever it takes to protect it

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. OTHER - Expound in post

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. mark brandwein

mark brandwein New Member

I have found that water intake is a key factor to my diet. I also eliminated salt and spices. Since I have been dieting over a year now, My portions of food intake is cut in half per meal. I used to walk with a cane because I would be out of breath from carrying 600 pounds around. Now that I have lost over 200 pds. I am able to walk without a cane, and I can do alot more with my family.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

That's like trying to predict who will survive a combat zone. It' far more to the equation than healthy living.

I have seen obese seniors. In fact I have one as a member of the Church. He is 85 and well over 300LBS. He has had several bypass surgeries, hooked to al kinds of machines and hasn't been out of the assisted living home for a long time but he is still alive.

Brother Gains in our Church lived into his 90's and was obese also. He did loose a lot of weight in his later years but he was very obese at one time. Let him tell it, his major weight loss was mostly due to diabetes. They began cutting off his limbs before he finally went home to be with the Lord.

I know a preacher in Dallas in his late 70's who is very obese but again he has major health issues. he used to come up here every year but hasn't been able to in the last decade or so.

I also had a very fit and healthy deacon recently die of heart failure. He was in his late 40's, jogged and was in great shape but heredity dealt him a bad hand.

You can also live well and get run over by a cab.

I still believe each of us are born with a set number of days. You will go when your time comes, no sooner and no later. Healthy living only increases the quality of those days.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I totally agree with you.

My dad has been thin and physically fit his whole life. He eats healthy and in moderation. My mom is 100 pounds overweight, loves greasy, fatty food, and rarely exercises, but her overall health is better than his!

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

My late husband was very fit and active...worked outdoors in construction all the time. He died of a heart attack at age 39.

My present husband is as thin as a rail, has had two major heart attacks requiring two stents and a defibrillator implant. He is now prediabetic. He spent 26 years in the Navy and now works in a factory 8 hours a day.

I have been fit all my life until just the last few years. I am now prediabetic also and have had a small heart attack. I also have COPD and chronic Bronchitis.

Never underestimate the role genetics plays in your health. Both of our parents, and all of our siblings, had the same problems.

My mother was always overweight to the point of obesity, and even with all her health problems, she lived to be 94. My dad drank all the time and did not live a healthy lifestlye. He lived to be 85.

I believe we can affect the quality of our lives, but not the quantity...

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

thin as a rail and diabetic, you should post that on the gluttony thread, where some believe only obese people get diabetes.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I did, Donna, a day or so ago, only I said he was as skinny as a beanpole. Both apply. :)

7. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got that right! Following my dad's heart attack in his 50's, his cardiologist had a meeting with our family to inform us that we are predisposed as much as 80% because of family history. Because of this, my brother and I are taking action to improve the quality of our lives.

Live as healthy as possible. This includes belly-laughing a lot. :)

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although, at a rather late date (recently turned 50) I have decided on a new career change geared toward physical therapy and personal training, along with a goal of ministry. I'm about to begin my second year of college after getting all A's so am hopeful that I will suceed in this endeavor. Obesity is something that I hope to help people deal with by impressing upon them the better qualities of life through lifestyle changes. The proof is seen in the results. But I have realized that getting people to commit to making these lifestyle changes will be quite challenging, mostly because of the many excuses, and I'm looking into communication classes to better prepare myself for this reason.

Personally, I have never been much overweight but have gotten worn out and out of shape. I've been on a steady workout program consisting of mostly weight training for the last five months that usually goes over 2 hours each session now, and am also working in improving flexibility and cardio between workouts along with a strict diet. I am feeling and looking better now than I have in a long time and this has motivated me to new levels.

My sister (52) was 100 pounds overweight on a small frame and with all kinds of health problems, pain, medications, and bound to a wheelchair. This would be a long story, but to make it short, I have been on her for years about the roots of her isues and she began seeing a PT about six months ago and that guy has got her to lose weight (45 lbs), off medications, out of the wheelchair, and back to work for the first time in three years.

I recently visited a gym in a retirement resort and saw devoted 75-90 year old women weight training that could put most 40 year olds to shame. I expect several of these women will live over a hundred because of their lifestyles. Probably needless to say I do not buy into one cannot add to the length of ones life and believe to say otherwise is an excuse, (mixed with a bit of a determinist view I might add.) :tonofbricks:

Hopefully, I will learn how to better express my opinion on this after the communication classes. :tonofbricks:

:laugh: :saint:

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

There are consequence in life, and God leaves us to those consequences, we have earned them, and one consequence is that bad eating, being over weight means an early death.
    of course some apparently believe God removes all consequneces from the christian.

10. I Am Blessed 24

We may not be able to add days to our lives by living a certain lifestyle, I'm not sure about that, but we CAN enjoy the time we have much more if we are healthy.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Let's pray you live long enough to prove your point. Remember to look both ways when you cross streets... :thumbs:

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No doubt I could die any moment; don't know that I would blame God for the driver runnug me over though... Matter of fact, as I was trying to get enough air while doing declined situps the other day, and my life was flashing before my eyes, while remembering that I AM 50, and this could be it, I prayed, "Let it not be now God!" :laugh:

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I voted "other"...what would be the reason?

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is your scenario:

You love fast food (hamburger and double order of fries) and have eaten it every day for the last ten years. The results from a study of people that eat hamburgers with double order of fries every day has come in which shows 90% of people who follow that diet have heart issues after 25 years. Do you, or should you quit eating one of those extra order of fries after 14 more years in a sincere effort toward avoiding heart complications. [​IMG]

Or will you- [​IMG]

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Like anything else...moderation :)