1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pondering the soul

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Deacon, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please pardon the wondering mind of a uneducated Christian.

I’ve been thinking today about the deaths of the Iranian conjoined twins.
    One soul or two? I think it's obvious they were two.
    But they were one flesh…until separated.

Did they become two souls upon surgical separation or upon conception?

Because upon conception they were one person …until the zygote imperfectly split.

What makes a person a soul?

Is it intellect? If it were would that mean there is some IQ where a person doesn’t meet the soul test?

Is it just the fact that they breath? If that were the case, Is a fetus a soul being or merely a potential soul being?

Is there a test for posession of a soul?

Rob

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Two.

Conception

God does at conception.

No. Retarded children and babies have very low IQs, but they have souls.

IMHO, there is no such thing as a fetus. An unborn baby is a soul being.

Yes. If you are a person, you have a soul.

[​IMG]
    Sue

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I was so sad to see they had died.

They only shared a vein....... and some bone.... Their personalities, likes, dislikes, desires were completely different. This was two very different young women and since they mentioned God, I pray they meant the one true God.

Diane

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice pat answer but upon conception the "baby" was a single cell (one soul), not two beings. The imperfect division occured after conception.

I guess I'm wondering when the soul is imparted by God, in this case it would NOT be upon conception.

Rob

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Nice pat answer but upon conception the "baby" was a single cell (one soul), not two beings. The imperfect division occured after conception.

I guess I'm wondering when the soul is imparted by God, in this case it would NOT be upon conception.

Rob
    </font>[/QUOTE]God knowing all things in advance,
    how do you know it isn't upon conception? God is able where man can see no way.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There are some things we'll not know for sure in this life.
    My own personal idea of it is that a soul is imparted at conception.
    Adam was formed of dust, and became a living soul when God breathed life into him. Since conception is the start of life, I believe that the moment fertilization occurs is equivalent to life, and the soul is imparted then, at the beginning of life.
    With twins, who knows? Is God the one who imparts a person's soul? Wouldn't he know who's in there? :)
    Gina

7. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Interesting thought, I had never considered that before. It is not a problem at all for those believing that the soul in received at conception, of course, but still an interesting thought. It could be, as Gina said, that since God knew what was happening that He imparted two souls at the initial conception or He could have waited until the zygote split (sort of a delayed conception for the second one) before giving the second one. Either way, or another way, in the end it was obvious that they WERE two different people with two different souls. Interesting.

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

It could also be that the soul is not imparted at conception, just as Deacon is speculating about. I don't know.

One thing I do know is that it does not matter about what the bible or any one else says about abortion. The "pro-life" and "pro-choice" crowds are diametrically opposed on this issue to the point that nothing will convince either side.

As a matter of fact, just because I bring up this possibility and admit that I do not know exactly when a fetus becomes a human being, I will, no doubt, be labeled as "pro-abortion."

9. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

I think about how often even the zygote fails to latch on properly inside the woman, and an "abortion" occurs, even without the woman ever knowing that she conceived. I wonder if these cells have souls. Part of me wonders if the soul is given later in the womb or at birth. The Scripture is silent on the issue, really.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doctors say that a fertilized egg "not embedding" in the womb is extremely common and most women to do realize that it might happen 20-30 times in their fertile years.

Miracle is that ANY become viable in the womb. God gives the soulish nature to humans, but since we are not told when, I have learned to be silent as the Scriptures.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I believe the baby has a soul from the time it begins to grow, hence is embedded.

I didn't realize women had that many 'blighted ovum' as you quoted Dr. Bob! I know several women who had late cycles and were told by Dr's that is what had happened and now count that as a miscarriage.

Diane

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

One soul or two?
    Two.

Did they become two souls upon surgical separation or upon conception?
    Hmmm.... upon conception they were one egg, so I dunno.

What makes a person a soul?
    The soul is given to us by God. Our physical being is a different from our being as a soul.

Is it intellect? If it were would that mean there is some IQ where a person doesn’t meet the soul test?
    No, self awareness, I believe is a difinitive test for having a soul, not IQ. Babies are self aware. That's not to say that lack of self awareness implies no soul, just that beings with souls are self aware.

Is it just the fact that they breath? If that were the case, Is a fetus a soul being or merely a potential soul being?
    No, respiration is a physical requirement, but not a reguirement to be defined as life. There are many life forms that don't respirate.

Is there a test for posession of a soul?
    I think self awareness, as I said earlier, is a good test, but not a perfect test.