1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poor and black:

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mima, May 21, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well I was sort of responding to the post that just got edited away.......lol [​IMG]

Actually I think "white and poor" tends to turn more toward cynicism. There is a culture among African-American folks to turn towards God with their troubles....I think this is a GOOD thing, actually.

I don't have any problem with an acknowledgement that there is a "black culture" that is different in certain areas. I really don't think that's racism. Racism is not the acknowledgement that there are differences in our cultures. Racism is claiming that those differences mean someone is more or less worthy as a person and/or judging a person based solely on their race/heritage/skin color. [​IMG]

I don't think thats what we are doing here, is it?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Well, I lived in New Orleans for a while, and I did see many "black and poor" people on the street. Most of them were not really open to me, a white girl, not "from" there. Many of them just wanted something. Not because they were black, I am sure. Also, I think it depends on the type of "poor" folks you're talking about. There are poor people that are willing to work and want to do better for their families, then there are poor people who just want you to give them something. I dont think those types are the receptive ones, at least in my experience.
    I live in a town with a fairly large black population, and I think it also depends on the generation of black people you are talking to. BUt, thats just my experience here.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

you're right, Tater. I think the generation of whoever we are talking about is making a big difference.

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Mima,

From your other posts, I can surmise that your intentions are good. But I know of no other way to take your OP. And to suggest that our responses indicate that we lack street witnessing experience is condescending and makes a huge assumption on your part.

You intimated in your OP that there was a link between receptivity to the gospel and pigmentation. You may have meant different (maybe your emphasis was on POOR, rather than BLACK) but what you said does carry racist overtones.

And I agree with others...why should "black" and "poor" be inexorably linked?

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

It is my experience based on years of street work that the most receptive demographic is black people of blue collar or lower economic status.

There is not a trace of racism in mima's OP.

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, this is becoming a habit, but...

What Pipedude said.

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

The Bible doesn't really address the black side, but it does have a lot to say about the poor.

James 2:5
    5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Speaking from experience, most rich white people don't really care to hear about a Jewish carpenter that was nailed to a tree for their sins.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that poor and black among us are more willing to accept the gospel of Lord Jesus Christ?

Why not?

9. genesis12

genesis12 Member

There's a lovely song that has these words in it: "Even the faith comes from Him." The willingness to believe comes from God. He is the "great prompter" for one to believe. Salvation is based upon His Grace, not my willingness! It is all a work of the Holy Spirit. If I change one word in the OP, so that it then reads like this,

"Do you believe that poor and black among us are more likely to accept the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ?"

then my answer would be yes. Those who stand in the framework of poor and black and in the fear that I suggested in my first response are more likely to say 'yes' to Jesus when the opportunity is there. Their faith, in those circumstances, rises up to answer when the Holy Spirit prompts, "Behold! I stand at the door and knock!"

And I've spent lots of time on the street, witnessing to the "winos," providing food, clothing, lodging, transportation, medical care, participating in a street people "Alcohol Safety Action Project." Our church continues that effort, even today. Alcohol is the great thief, even for those who become believers, "down on the street." We've witnessed dramatic outpourings of God's grace, only to find the same individuals seeking alcohol, or already under its influence rather quickly. Follow-up efforts are there, with tears.

[​IMG]

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Genesis, so now black is synonymous with poor and drunk? :rolleyes: Please tell me this implication was not intentional. For the record, although one can find larger concentrations of the black community in urban areas that does NOT make them poor, drunk, drug addicts/dealers, or gang members.

I do, however, believe that those who are poor or downtrodden are more likely to listen to the gospel message. They are more likely to want/need a message of hope and redemption, than someone who has everything they want or need.

11. bapmom

bapmom New Member

the point is that really, whether poor or not, African-Americans are more likely to be willing to respond to the gospel of Christ. Especially the older generation has more of a culture of turning to God than us more "spiritually poor" white folk. This would translate into a more willing response when talking to a poorer black person.

Personally, since we are among Christian brethren here, I think we shouldn't be so quick to jump to an assumption that a statement is racist. Of course when a "race" is mentioned people will think the worst....we are all of one blood though.

mima never said that ALL black people are poor, nor even that many of them are. He did not intimate that if a person is black he will automatically be poor. He just paired two different descriptions of a person, both of which can have an impact on that person's cultural background.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

I couldn't disagree more. I've been in black settings that were unreceptive to Christ, white settings that were very receptive, and their opposites.

The statement suggested that people are more likely to respond to God based on their skin color. That is a racist statement, IMO. I don't mean to say that mima is a racist, by any means, but that the statement itself is racist.

One problem we have is that racism's meaning has changed. For many today, racism "is any attitude or action that has anything to do with race with which I disagree."

The definition of "racism" (merriam webster online) is "belief...that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

In the classical, not-politically charged manner, I would classify this statement as racist, because it links one's receptivity to Christ with pigmentation of skin (or infers so through a question).

13. bapmom

bapmom New Member

not the pigmentation, rbell.....the culture is what makes the difference.

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Speaking of cultures, the poor and black may be less open to receiving the gospel from a white person, but more open than ordinary for receiving it from a middle-class or upper-class black. I believe Frederick K.C. Price, and former rap star Hammer have led many to the Lord, as have well-to-do former athletes Archie Griffin and Roosevelt(Rosie) Grier.

We have one just about eight miles from my home...former football star COY BACON. He did a 180, from a life of umpteen girlfriends & heavy drinking to a stable Christian life of leading youngsters to Christ.(In case ya don't follow pro football...Coy is black.)

A little aside...Some of us are campaigning for some area athletes to be elected into their respective Halls Of Fame. Obviously, Bacon is an obvious football candidate, as he played pro for 14 seasons, three-time Pro-Bowler, and woulda been the career sack leader, had sacks been an officially-kept stat during mosta his career.

Now, Coy is a member of a team which will never lose...the JESUS team!

15. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Give me a break. Unbelievable. Remember the saying, "If anything can go wrong, it will"? Well, if a post can be misinterpreted, misquoted, and maligned, it will be.

Give me a break II.

16. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Amen, Genesis12.

Some of us may be talking past others. It shouldn't be hard to come to some agreement in this discussion.

Demographics aren't racist; they're just demographics. Anybody who's spent hundreds of hours on the streets passing out thousands of tracts is going to see the patterns. Blacks as a whole are more receptive and respectful toward the offer of a gospel tract, and they are more agreeable to the verbal offer of salvation. Whether or not they are truly converted is another question, and largely beyond answering.

It is my opinion that they are just as receptive to a white minister as they would be to a black one. I base that on the paucity of resistance I've ever sensed when doing street work.

And along with Bapmom, I'd guess that their receptiveness is a cultural thing, rather than an inherited genetic trait. And I'd be surprised to find anyone who thought that it was genetic.

17. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I need to modify that post. It isn't necessary for one to devote hours every week for years to see the patterns. They'll be observable the first day. After three or four days, they'll be unmistakable.

18. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Genesis,

I'm sorry if I mistook your comment. FTR, I do not think you, nor anyone else I have seen on this board, is racist. IMHO, some of you are misinformed, or just plain ignorant, of the black "race", or even "black culture", (and not from this thread, but based on others I have read) .

Once again, and finally, it is one thing to have a thread about the poor being receptive to the gospel, quite another to ask if poor and black are receptive. Your response agreed with the OP, then went on to talk about the homeless and drunkards you and your church minister to. Frankly that is off topic in my book, especially if you are talking about one "race" in particular, as the OP most certainly was.

The way the OP was worded, as well as mima's subsequent post claiming "we" have no experience "street witnessing" is VERY OFFENSIVE, especially to someone who lives within the "black community", so to speak. I am white, but my husband is black, therefore my children are black, and so on. Now it would not be offensive to start a legitimate thread on whether religious undertones are more predominant in the perceived "black culture", but that is not the intent of the OP. I stand by my earlier statement that higher concentrations of black people in an urban area does not make them poor, drunk, drug addicts/dealers, or gang members.

We need to pick one or the other. Are we going to debate how receptive the poor are to the gospel, or are we going to debate religious undertones in the perceived "black culture". BTW, even if we can successfully argue that religious undertones are more prevalent in "black culture", this does not necessarily make the black community more receptive and open to receiving the "true" gospel message.

Rbell was correct. The wording of the OP make it seems that the pigmentation of people determines how receptive they are to the gospel, even if that was not the intent.

19. mnw

mnw New Member

I read the post and did not think it was a racist question at all. Just a question regarding a specific back ground and culture group.

In answer to the thread. I think it varies from location to location. In some places poor blacks may respond better than poor whites. In other places it may be reversed.

20. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poor & Black

Hey Guys,

I have not read all of the posts here. But, think of this novel idea:

What if we let some of the Blacks who might read and be on the BB for their opinion?

How about it, anyone out there?

Now, that would be ground-breaking indeed would it not?

If I have missed this then please forgive ahead of time.

sdg!

rd