1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope and homosexual priests

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Judith, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im going to use this information to take to the RC church down the road that is ousting their queer Priest......maybe even my 3 liberal catholic cousins. On the German side (my wifes family) has all but disowned Roman Catholicism but I have not been able to get them to flip to Baptist. Still trying (discretely)

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In reading the entire article, it should noted that Francis is basically pointing out that people, including priests, have to deal with a number of issues of sin and sinfulness. This includes how we handle homosexuality.

Now, the Vatican isn't changing its tune on the dogma of chastity for all priests. Essentially, Francis is saying that if there is a priest who is dealing with homosexuality that he desires to aid that man through his struggle. However, he does not believe that they should engage in acts that violate their call and consecration to chastity.

Its a fine line to balance. Yet it is something we all have to deal with in our churches. There are people in my own congregation that struggle with same sex attraction. I've talked privately with some. My call is always to remind them of their need to live chaste lives before and outside of marriage. In their struggle I challenge them to reconcile themselves to God and give over their impulses to His commands. I still provide them love, care, and counseling. They still attend our services and help out in certain ways.

We must extend grace. For we have received and will need to receive it in often ourselves. :)

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He wants everyone to let the sexual abuse scandals go and just forget about it.[​IMG]
    Yes the Body is to forgive. But he doesn't seem to be talking much about what's being done by the RCC to keep the abuses at the hands of gay pedofiles from happening again.

In fact, it sounds like he just wants everyone to forgive and forget and let the folks who are in place remain.

Sounds like pure wickedness to me.

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the years gay priests worldwide have been called the Lavender Mafia of the RCC. I notice your link also mentions the banking scandal in that some think that Vatican bank has been laundering money. I am guessing that the RCC would be foolish to open the bank's books to the secular media, who really only want to get a look at RCC finances. With the worldwide shortage of priests, the RCC seems reluctant to defrock anyone, but I am an outsider.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They dont really defrock anyone. Rather, they move them around or put them out to pasture ... & if they dont like that, there is always the Methodists or Episcopal churches that will take them. Makes ya sick dont it?

8. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems that they can throw them out if they want but I cannot find any link on this subject that clarifies the exact rules that they follow.

On the subject of the Episcopal Church, the local church does not own the building but the national denomination does. Some of their buildings are expensive and some of them would leave if the denomination would let them keep the building--or so they say. I think Episcopalians are united only by liturgy and tradition. Their theology has been neo-orthodox for many decades now.

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I bet there are some cardinals cringing when they think of how they voted, and one ex-pope questioning his decision to retire.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No...it was a [h*m*s*xual] church before the German guy left...only now its official...they are all out of the closit. Mom, good Catholic that she was, absolutely refused to allow me to be an alter boy & now I know why.:laugh:

#10 Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013