1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope Calls Communists Christians

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Rolfe, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pope says communists are closet Christians

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis, whose criticisms of unbridled capitalism have prompted some to label him a Marxist, said in an interview published on Sunday that communists had stolen the flag of Christianity.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0F40L020140629?irpc=932

:tonofbricks:

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the laugh!

Popes live in palaces, have all sorts of gold crowns and precious stones, have expensive clothes and the best of everything and then talk about poverty and praise communism.

This pope is a dope.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Neither of you, nor NBC and Reuters, seem to get the point that Francis was speaking tongue in cheek. You might want to read the whole story to get the context. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he says, but he essentially is making fun of communists.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Don't spoil the fun :). Sensational headlines make better threads :)

5. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Surely you jest.....the pope is no dope, he is a Jesuit however!!!!!

6. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's really okay with me ....

.... because I call him a Catholic, and his brand of Catholic wouldn't know a real Chrsitian if they snuck up and shook his hand! :type:

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not how I understood the article.

8. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Guess you don't read much. This pope does NOT live in a palace, drive an expensive car, wear expensive clothes and have the best of everything. Maybe you should spend some time and read a little more about what this pope actually says and does and be less time posting rabid anti-Catholic statements.

I'll bet the suits being worn by the local IFB pastor in my town costs bundles. He also drives a Lexus. But that doesn't make any difference, eh?

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

Nonetheless ...
    Reuters misled -- and perhaps did so deliberately -- it's readers by headlining the story as it did and not apparently "getting" Francis' quote itself.

Look at what he said. Essentially he says the communists claim charity and equality as inventions for themselves 20 centuries too late, and then he suggest when one hears them say something so stupid you say, "Then you are a Christian," an obvious reference to the real origin of man's charity and equality found in Christ's ministry.

It's not that hard to get, even with the unjustified twist Reuters editors gave the story, choosing instead to focus on the criticism the pope has received since taking office rather than seeing what he actually said.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not argue about it. Yes, I read the article...as per habit before posting it. No, I still did not read it the same way that you did.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: this generally doesn't understood by most of them either.... “Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.”

12. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, Walter! Rabid anti-Catholic? This from Catholicism that curses all Protestants to hell at Trent? This from Catholicism that recently said that Baptist churches were not really churches at all?

Does that IFB pastor that you spend so much time following have a Swiss bodyguard? Does he speak from the balcony of a palace in Rome? Isn't the Vatican full of priceless treasures and jewels such as papal crowns?

Isn't this same Jesuit pope the only man on earth who calls himself the Vicar of Christ?

Let me tell you, Walter, no one ever stole the flag of Christianity.

But thanks for the advice, Walter.

13. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes....

Most of us know that this pope is very humble and modest! I give him credit for that. However, he is still a pope representing the church that lights candles for those stuck in pergatory, prays to saints, the virgin Mary and has a need to have a priest absolve their sin!

If they had to go directly to God for forgiveness, I'll bet they may begin to think a little differently about the sins they commit and leave in a small booth of reconciliation!

I have a right to be anti-catholic, I know many Catholics and I feel their pain!