1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pope ET 1st, Phone Home

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Nov 11, 2009.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Now that the Pope has all the theological issues of the day solved, he looks to the stars for life on other worlds. Come to think of it, what a source of new converts.

We have had discussions on this board about life elsewhere in the universe. One of the points in the article that strikes me as right up their mindset is how would life other than earth affect the Catholic Church. My guess is that it would affect it the same way as everyone else. If life is there, God created it regardless what the Pope thinks about it. Notice in the second paragraph that it is implied that finding life somehow might alter our ideas about the origin of life. In other words, why would finding life change our perception of its origin?

The bottom line to me seems with all the people who need the Gospel here on earth, and the Catholic Church claims to be the one true church, that they would have better ways to use their time, energy and money in bringing people to the Lord. There are lots of public and private firms searching for life. What is the purpose behind this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,573806,00.html

#1 saturneptune, Nov 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2009
  2. targus

targus New Member

"Just as there is a multitude of creatures on Earth, there could be other beings, even intelligent ones, created by God. This does not contradict our faith, because we cannot put limits on God's creative freedom."

"Funes maintained that if intelligent beings were discovered, they would also be considered "part of creation."

The Pope seems to be in agreement with you.

I'm not sure of what your point of contention is here.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I guess I did not make myself very clear. First of all, I do not agree with the articles for the following reasons:
    1. Finding life elsewhere in the universe would not effect how we think about the origin of life, as it comes from God regardless.
    2. Finding life elsewhere in the universe would not effect the Catholic Church any different than it would anyone else. There is nothing special about them.
    3. Why is an entire church entity spending time, money and effort on such nonsense when most of the world needs the Gospel?

The Lord created exactly what He created in His will regardless of what anyone thinks about it. Aside from all the above, there is a good case to be made for earth being the only life in the universe, both spiritually and physically, which is another thread.

Scientists have been trying to detect life for years, so all the sudden when the pope declares something about it, all the sudden there is substance to it?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The speculation of intelligent life elsewhere is simply speculation. The bottom line is, scripture was written for us here on earth, so it's with un here on earth that we should be focured.