1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Position on Abortion

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by alatide, Sep 24, 2009.

?
  1. Obama supporter - Yes, I support abortion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Obama supporter - No, I do not support abortion.

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Against Obama - Yes, I support abortion.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Against Obama - No, I do not support abortion.

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I am merely acknowledging that they may be wrong in their conclusions. That doesn't mean that they are pure evil. It simply means they are WRONG.

So let me get this straight. Rev says the Holy Ghost would never let a Christian believe that voting for Obama was not supporting abortion. I believe that just because one voted for Obama doesn't mean that they support (read 'are in favor of') abortion. Therefore I must draw the conclusion that either Rev is wrong about the Holy Ghost or else the Holy Ghost is overlooking me because I am not a christian.

And don't give me any trouble on my definition of 'support' because if you want to read it in your figurative context then we're all guilty of 'supporting' abortion because we all pay taxes, whether it is a biblical ideal or not.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this question: Can a Christian be wrong about something but not be evil?

I believe that a Christian can be wrong about something without being evil.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Supporting abortion in any manner is pure evil

If you are going to attempt to quote me then quote me but falsely paraphrasing my words is inappropriate.

Apparently you are not paying attention to what is being said. When you vote for any politician who supports abortion, dem, repub, indep, whomever, and you know about it in advance then you have supported all of his agenda. Even those you disagree with. In the case of abortion some have decided that whatever obama does with abortion is worth it because of other things. In other words sacrificing unborn children is an acceptable compromise because of (add what you want here). That is still support whether you want to support abortion or not.

However, those on this board who voted for Obama typically see nothing wrong with abortion. Again, pure evil and nothing else. You are trying to defend views of those on this board with little time engaging them. We have been here quite a while and know more about them than you do. It would serve you well to wait a while longer before trying to represent them so you actually know what you are talking about.

Therefore I must draw the conclusion that either Rev is wrong about the Holy Ghost or else the Holy Ghost is overlooking me because I am not a christian.

And don't give me any trouble on my definition of 'support' because if you want to read it in your figurative context then we're all guilty of 'supporting' abortion because we all pay taxes, whether it is a biblical ideal or not.[/QUOTE]

4. alatide

alatide New Member

I worship the living Christ, my Lord and Savior. Why would a "minister" worship the devil?

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Does Christ convict you of lying about your identity on this board and breaking the rules by coming back multiple times after being banned? I know that if I did such things that Christ would convict me of them. Once the Holy Spirit is dwelling within you, those sort of deceptive behaviors become convicting. It would be a shame if you weren't convicted of your deceptive behavior.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Are they wrong in their conclusions? Yes! I'm glad you can acknowledge that. Now you need to understand that if they are wrong, that doesn't lift the responsibility of their actions. They are still responsible for supporting abortion.

Of course, you still don't get it that electing a politician that promotes abortion IS supporting abortion.

7. alatide

alatide New Member

Christians typically have a common world view. They may differ on minor items like politics but share the view that what the world needs is Jesus Christ not a Republican president. The Christian Right has subverted the message of the gospel to make it a political statement. It was never intended to be used that way and those who have done so will pay dearly for their crime against God.

8. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I'm reading the book THE HOLE IN OUR GOSPEL, by Richard Stearns and came across a passage that sums up my feelings exactly. I'd like to share it with you...

9. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

So... to play devil's-advocate here (figuratively speaking of course), would it be possible for a doctor that performs abortions to be a born-again Christian? I may be wrong, but I understand your words to say that they cannot possibly be. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please show me how I falsely paraphrased your words, Rev. I even asked prior to my statement 'let me get this straight', didn't I? I'm trying to understand your point completely, to repeat what you're saying in words that make sense to me.

10. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Now hold on here, Alatide... I consider myself a very conservative person (read RIGHT) and I know that I am a Christian... so that would make me part of the Christian Right, a post which I am glad to claim. (Most of the time). I would agree with you that SOME on the right are subverting the gospel for their own political gain, or for their party's gain, but PLEASE, do not blanket us all into your group of radicals. You're just as guilty of causing problems as those radical right-wingers by doing this.

11. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

Here are your exact words…

… and here are mine…

I am asking a question here as evidenced by my preface ‘So let me get this straight.’ I apologize if it didn’t come across that way, but that’s the way I understand your words, Rev. If I’m misunderstanding what you say, please correct me rather than simply editing my entire paragraph to make it look like I’m paraphrasing you incorrectly, which I absolutely don’t think I did. I think my conclusions are sound based on your initial post.
    I also posted this earlier in the thread…

I feel I hit the nail on the head with that so far. Please stop ignoring any other questions I pose on the matter such as…

12. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

I agree with you, KenH. I'll even take you one further and say that I believe that a born-again believer can unwittingly be an agent of evil if they neglect to study the scriptures on a regular basis and ensure that their walk with the Lord is right and good. I also think that to say otherwise would be very naive.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For once, I think I agree with you alatide.

I started out as a JFK Democrat (pre-Roe v. Wade).

Became a RR Republican until his 2nd term then became an unaffiliated independent though I voted for him again.

He could have at least tried to issue an executive order against abortion.

I may not vote again until Roe v. Wade is overturned or a candidate promises to at least pro-actively try to overturn it.

HankD

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I suggest you run for office! - Seriously

15. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My question to those who oppose abortion, but support Obama is doesn't that seem to contradict what you stand for? I could understand someone feeling sorry for voting for him, but its not like it was any surprise that he supports abortion. What people need to do is vote for someone who supports their views & beliefs wholeheartidly. At least that way, you'll know that you supported someone & didn't compromise what you believe.