1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Possible Trump Running Mate Chris Christie Just Raised Taxes in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jun 30, 2016.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After an all-nighter, the Democrat controlled NJ Assembly (think House) and Gov. Chris Christie have reached a compromise on a budgetary deal.

The plan would cut the state sales tax from 7% to 6%, in 2018..
    The plan would raise the gasoline tax by $.23 per gallon, immediately.

Consider how much you spend each year in state taxable merchandise and services. Personally, I would peg it at around $4,000. Now consider how many gallons of gas you buy each year. For my wife and me, it's about 800 gallons per year (I consider this to be less than most families, but you're mileage may vary, literally.)

So if the state sales tax goes down 1%, I will save $40 a year in sales taxes.
    But the gas tax goes up $.23 a year, so I'm spending $184 more in gas taxes.

The NJ Senate must approve the plan. Political observers think the Senate will strip out the sales tax decrease and leave the gas tax hike in place.

So Chris Christie, supposed Conservative, just raised taxes on working families about $140-$150 a year.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/06/in_midnight_vote_lawmakers_ok_surprise_sales_tax_c.html

2. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it looks like it's failing about for a vote today:

http://patch.com/new-jersey/lawrenc...t-gas-tax-hike-uncertain-senate-democrats-say

See, this looks really bad, a midnight vote right before a summer holiday weekend - and add to that, the gas tax would be in effect tomorrow but not the sales tax cut, of course.

Christie Todd Whitman pulled the same stunt - reneging on the sales tax cut later, as did the former clueless Republican governor of PA - I was in the eastern part of the state on a contract at the time and I know he lost a lot of support right then and there.

And Christie . . . I thought he took too much flak when some Republicans tried to tell that Romney lost because CC walked on some beach with Obama but this tells me it's more likely Trump has promised him AG.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, what was up with that? As if Romney was going to win New Jersey and New York but then Christie got all chummy with Obama and Romney lost. Doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

4. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, yeah, I remember at the time, people were saying that Obama and Christie on the beach together was proof he wanted Obama to win and it made all these people across the country decide Obama looked presidential enough to vote for him, maybe again. Some still do.

They just wanted to blame somebody for Romney's loss and the polls were looking really bad for him at the time, Romney had already squandered the election by slacking off all month.

It was right after a big hurricane and Obama was there to assess the situation with Chris. It's like they expected Christie to sucker-punch Obama at the sight of him.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even raising taxes won't get too many democraps to vote for him.