Posting rules vs Catholic Christians

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Dec 16, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

Dallas said There is a reason that Catholics are no longer permitted to post on the BB even prohibiting their posting on the other Christian Denominations forum.

#1. Is it true that the posting rules have been updated to say "Catholics may not post on the OTHER CHRISTIAN DENOMINATIONS forum - or any other forum on this board"??

Admittedly this is a privately owned board so if there really is such a rule - then even if they post and say "hi" they have "violated the rules".

#2. Maybe one of the benefits of the "OTher Christian Denominations" board is to have non-Catholics exposed to a Catholic discussion where they are not "alone" or in a "Catholic-mostly" discussion board.

#3. A third benefit is that when you go to the Catholic discussion boards run the RCC promoters - the RC participants will very frequently trash the Bible as a source of truth for Christians and will exalt their own traditions in a kind of "hey we all agree we are right so we must be right" kind of fallacy.

But on THIS board they know none of that will fly and so they are forced to make a case from the Bible "instead" more often than they would normally be inclined to do it.

This kind of board creates a "zone of reasonableness" into which RC members will sometimes step into - that you don't find elsewhere.

It is a shame to lose these benefits to non-Catholics (and to Catholics alike) if there is no rule that says "Catholic Christians may not post on the Other Christian Denominations message board".

Just my two cents.

In Christ,

Bob

2. mioque

mioque
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty certain there is no official RC's can't post here rule. A number of Catholics (Briony-Gloria for example) do post here without getting banned.

3. mioque

mioque
    Expand Collapse

Related to mr. Ryan's other observations.
    I've stumbled across a handfull of American Roman Catholic messageboards over the last few years.
    They were all compared to this Baptist Board* small affairs with comparatively little activity.
    There doesn't even seem to be a thriving Roman Catholic messageboard culture in the English speaking world.

*which is not especially large, there is at least one messageboard dedicated to people from Maroccan descent who speak Dutch, (a small group compared to English speaking baptists) that is considerably bigger.

4. riverm

riverm
    Expand Collapse

In regard to PeterMeansRock being banned, he informed me that the statement he agreed to when he was submitting his membership to the BB, the agreement said nothing about being Catholic was against BB rules and from what I could tell, PeterMeansRock was NOT crude, arrogant, boastful, mean spirited, or attempted in any way to negatively impact the board. The only reason he was banned was because he was Catholic as Bro. Dallas stated.

I’ve also asked privately for an objective statement regarding the official Baptist Board position on Catholics? No response as of yet.

5. riverm

riverm
    Expand Collapse

That’s because Briony-Gloria keeps quite…
    Then you’re not looking hard enough. I know 3 off the top of my head that are very active and all denominations are welcomed and are privately own as well. If you like debating, PM me and I will give you the 3. :D

Blessings
    -Tommy

6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn
    Expand Collapse

Was PeterMeansRock completely banned, or just from the Baptist Only section? In replacement of his post on the Lord's supper <http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/3272/3.html#000035>, is found the following:
    A private message to an administrator could probably clear up any questions one might have.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

I probably should have given the reference for the quote.

That is here on the Other Christian Denominations board area.

8. riverm

riverm
    Expand Collapse

Completely banned and it wasn't because he posted in a "Baptist Only" section. A lot of Non-Baptist post there and are never banned, only informed not to post in "Baptist Only" sections of the BB.

9. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse

I have read the whole "Petermeansrock" threads with a great deal of interest. People may do whatever they wish but in all sincerity...I have asked myself, as I have read some very reasoned responses from our Catholic poster, why? "The Truth shall set you free". Amen to that. Truth though....should never be afraid.
    BrianH

10. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

I will do my best to present the official position of BaptistBoard.com on this issue. Until then, please refrain from posting assumptions. This thread will be locked until such a time as an explanation can be given.

11. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

To the best of my knowledge, the following is the official position of the ownership of BaptistBoard.com.

Some RCC folks have joined BaptistBoard.com in the past, and are continuing to join by listing their denomination as something other than RCC and then changing their profiles after approval. This results in immediate, without explanation banning.

Because of previous problems with RCC members coming to BaptistBoard.com for the sole purpose of proselytizing, the ownership of BaptistBoard.com has made it policy to no longer approve RCs for membership.

This policy was stated in the following thread:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/20/201.html?

12. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure that a "ban" on catholics is the best policy, especially for a board that allows adventists, CoC, and oneness posters.

I am certainly in agreement with banning those who are dishonest or who are here only to plant seeds of discord. But to automatically disallow members of one denomination is a little exclusive.

Now it is the prerogative of the board owners to do so - but I think it is not the best decision.

13. riverm

riverm
    Expand Collapse

Ummm…that states nothing about Catholics not being able to join and contribute in the proper areas that are labeled “Other Christian Denominations”. The thread states that no proselytizing is allowed. Not ALL Catholics will proselytize and just because one or two did in the past, should give credence to ban all Catholics. I’m sure some other non-Baptist have proselytized in the past and they were banned, but did the administrators ban the whole denomination?

You BB agreement says NOTHING about being Catholic and not being allowed to post. It’s religious intolerance to ban a Catholic for simply being a Catholic and no other reason, regardless if this is a privately own Board. The point is it is open to the community of believers and ALL should be afforded to contribute.

If the administrators have a problem with Catholics and don’t know how to debate them, then maybe this site shouldn’t be a free community board and the money received for joining can go to missions.

14. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

riverm, this is the policy, stated in the best way I could, that represents the position of the owner of BaptistBoard.com.

I agree that the statement I linked to is vague. I brought up the same concern. It must also be made clear that this position reflects that of the ownership and not necessarily that of all Moderators.

It is not my BB agreement, nor that of any Moderator or Administrator. Each of us had to agree to the same standards that you did. The agreement is solely that of the BaptistBoard.com webmaster. Any concerns should be addressed directly to him.

I'm quite sure that it is not a matter of not knowing how to debate. There is no money received for joining this board. It is financed largely by the individual who owns and operates this board.

That being the case, I feel that he may make any policy that he wishes to make regarding who may or may not participate.

15. riverm

riverm
    Expand Collapse

Pastor Bob

I appreciate your time in at least putting forth the effort in explaining the Baptist Boards position in regard to banning Catholics who have not broken any of the agreeable rules. It’s a shame that the Webmaster can’t officially make a statement or release a policy openly regarding the fact that Catholics are not welcomed. Obviously a few members are confused regarding the banishment of Catholics.

16. riverm

riverm
    Expand Collapse

Pastor Bob

Who does the banning, Moderators, Administrators or the Webmaster himself?

17. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

Well... I learn something every day.

In Christ,

Bob

18. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

I would like to pose this as something for the BB management to consider.

Those RC members who are "inclined" to apply for membership as if they are not RC - are the ONLY RC members that will be allowed in under the new rules!!

Under the old rules - the only "Reason" that an RC member "might" signup as non-RC is the "fear" that RC Chrisitians would not be tolerated by the management here. If there was an explicit statement welcoming them - you probably would not find them resorting to that earlier tactic at all.

The result is that THEN you could simply ban the ones that you feel are overtly unchristian in their posts/positions/views.

Just a suggestion.

In Christ,

Bob

19. BrianH

BrianH
    Expand Collapse

I fear the great God I TRY to serve. I thank him for his love and sacrifice of his son for my sins.
    People can do as they wish...so be it...it looks like fear to me. This just following orders mentality....so be it.
    Come Lord Jesus.
    BrianH

20. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree. I can't tell whether it is just certain practices that are out of line and so just-certain Catholic posters are banned or if this is a more general position (like the one Pastor Bob posted).

I am inclined to say that what Pastor Bob "said" here http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/28/3526.html#000010
    is the rule even though that actual rule can't be found anywhere - because I trust his efforts in trying to get to the bottom of this.

Also his dialogue so far seems to indicate that the "owners" have the view he stated even though it is "not stated" in the rules. I can see how this "unnofficial" banning of all Catholic Christians without actually stating it is going to be confusing.

I can also see how it could lead to RC members joining under other affiliations and those membership practices being the "only" way RC members can join.

In Christ,

Bob