1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Postmodernism's influence on evangelism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bump.....................

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats pages do I need to read to find the answer to your question?

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you not see? Thats not a Rabbit.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blessedwife318 gives out pearls of wisdom and Evan casts swine at her.!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will get back with you

6. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't care. Its an animal from you :)

7. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh that is funny. I didn't even catch that pun. Well played Rolf, well played.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am waiting for him to post a picture of a duck so that I can tell him to step on it.

(Another play on words. ;))

9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still at the dentist? :laugh:

10. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clever although you probably just lessened your chance of that happening.

11. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never know it can take awhile for the nitrous oxide to wear off. I'm going to assume it was major mouth work being done on a Saturday.

12. Inspector Javert

Inspector Javert Active Member

Evangelism is made somewhat more challenging when dealing with the post-modern mindset, but, I don't think the method should be much affected, but rather your speech. I don't think that any perceived inefficacy of gospel tracts or open-air sermons are a result of Post-modernism though.
    I tend to think the ineffectiveness is a result of changing culture more than any pop-philosophical trends. Like many things before it, post-modernism will fade away and soon recycle itself under another moniker in about a century or so, just like modernism, existentialism even Epicureanism before that.

How to deal with the post-modernist mindset?
    Personally, I ignore it.
    Seriously.
    I often find when speaking to people that when they start speaking in post-modernist terms I gloss over it and speak as though we both pre-suppose objective truth. I have found this effective many times.

Post-modernism is self-contradictory and intellectually vapid. If we can speak to a person and get them to engage in any serious self-reflection than post-modernism melts away. I don't think any person who is truly intellectually honest with themselves and open to truth really holds to any serious post-modernism. There's zero intellectual rigour to it. Post-modernists are like moral nihilists, no one can actually LIVE that viewpoint, and no one does.

I speak with them as though we both assume objective truths and I gloss over their usually rather weakly and un-convincingly proposed post-modern objections. Post modernism is convenient shadow for them to hide behind, not a serious intellectual obstacle. Don't acknowledge it as one.

It shouldn't change our evangelistic methodology much at all. Just evangelize, and let the Holy Spirit do its work of melting away those cheap mental tricks. They know deep down that their excuses are void of content. Just give them the gospel.

God reward your effort.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that was a well thought out post.:thumbsup:

14. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is so post-modern about post-modernism? The only difference between the ancient Greeks and modern America is they had togas and we have Facebook.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are probably right.

Might need to issue a preemptive Ducky. :laugh:

[​IMG]

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Frankly, I thought the same but guessed that I was missing something.

17. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably are infected with Pasteurella multocida bacterium from all your rabbits. It makes your eyes runny and causes your head to lean to the side. :laugh:

On a serious note, what we know as Greek philosophy existed in one form or another since 600 years before Christ. It has widely influenced Western thought and -in spite of our insistence - is essentially unchanged since the time of the Presocratics. Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning would fit nicely into a discussion with the students of Aristotle or Plato. The terms are different and the mechanism to propagate the philosophy has changed but it remains the same - unregenerated man searching for the meaning of life outside the presence of God.

Calling ancient pagan philosophy post-modern is a symptom of the arrogance. It remains a fruitless search for meaning whether we wear togas or use a Twitter account.

Ecclesiastes 1:8-10 NAS77
    8 All things are wearisome; Man is not able to tell it. The eye is not satisfied with seeing, Nor is the ear filled with hearing.
    9 That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So, there is nothing new under the sun.
    10 Is there anything of which one might say, "See this, it is new"? Already it has existed for ages Which were before us.​

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

There is no page number where you can find the answer to those questions. In order to answer Rev’s (and my) questions and deal with the topic you must understand the subject.

I believe that we can safely say that modernity began with the intellectual movements of the 15th century - but it is a blended change. The Reformation is a good example of modernity versus the post-medieval period, and it expresses itself in many different forms, but basically what we are talking about is a change in cultural worldviews. For example, modernity rejected tradition in favor of rationalization, feudalism in favor of capitalism.

I believe post-modernity took root after WWII. I say this because the struggles of that era called into question many of the ideals associated with modernity (e.g., human perfectibility). Postmodernity, then, is a movement away from modernity. It is more apt, for example, to accept the tradition that modernity rejected, however it will accept those traditions on its own terms.

So I cannot give you a page number, but I can give you sources to read and study. David Wells is one, but another is Brian McLaren’s (for an example of postmodernity) A Generous Orthodoxy and A New Kind of Christianity. Both of those books teach heresy, but they also show you the postmodern mindset in regards to Christianity.

My view is that the Bible carries a worldview of its own, which stands in contrast to these shifts in worldly understanding - and it is a worldview that we don’t alter to make more acceptable to the world. My understanding is that it is supposed to be this way as we are salt and light. It is more important to study these things, IMHO, not for evangelism but to realize the impact our own culture will have on our understanding if we are not aware of those influences. But you need to stop looking through books for answers and instead read and study them so that you can understand the topic.

With postmodernity, you will never find a clear cut definition because it is a departure from something. It is a moving target as it leads to something else. It would be a mistake to believe that everyone from a younger generation holds a postmodern view, that postmodern views are the same, but there is a trend away from modernity (that's why, perhaps, evangelistic methods don't work...people are ultimately individuals who have unique issues and views of reality).

#58 JonC, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite correct

Go chase a hog

20. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow I give you the benefit if the doubt and I get another animal, that is quite generous if you. Thank you.