1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Powell: Iran far from Nuclear Weapons

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is truly amazing "proof" that Powell is still in the loop.:eek:

So how long is "a long way"?

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Admittedly, I don't know because I didn't make the statement: Colin Powell did. I find it amazing that you can discount him and current serving members of the Bush Administration who appear to agree with him and have no problem posting anything from AINA which misspells the word "if."

carpro, we disagree on whom to believe. Admitttedly, it's a matter of faith. Btw, must there ALWAYS be a two sentence response (or less) and a silly picture?

#22 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2007
  3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That tells me you know they didn't say it, so provide the quote or quotes you used to determine they were "implying" the threat was imminent.

4. Ivon Denosovich

(Bolding mine.) I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm talking about a FUTURE threat from IRAN. Not a PAST threat from IRAQ.
    (Bolding mine.) Hence the topic of this thread.

#24 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007
  5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Powell stated his opinion and you spent several posts trying to validate it.

I didn't discount his opinion. I just recognized it for what it was. The precise language(or the imprecise language , if you prefer) of his quote gives him a lot of room to be right... or wrong.

Your persistence of pursuing a typo is, at best, a petty distraction. I like short, to the point posts. The "silly" pictures are called emoticons for a reason.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So provide the quote or quotes you used to determine they are "implying" the threat is imminent.

7. Ivon Denosovich

Once again, we disagree on who to believe.

I apologize for the remark about "silly images." :) :wavey: :tonofbricks:

Btw, I'm still confused about your mentioning of Iraq. Were you comparing the two contries?

#27 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Just the use of the same phony "implying imminent" argument.

9. Ivon Denosovich

Okay... I'm under the impression that there's a general consensus in every Republican/conservative circle that Iran poses an imminent threat. Hence: "stop them now" language and all. What would you consider the situtaion to be?

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen no evidence of such a "consensus".

No one has said Iran is a nuclear "imminent threat", nor have I seen it implied.

If you have, please provide the documentation.

11. Ivon Denosovich

There are LOADS OF IMPLICATIONS that this Administration views Iran as an imminent threat. I'm not going to search the www to find you every piece of rhetoric about how Iran is dangerous as this is the general consensus. Hence, Bush thinks we must stop them. If not for the consensus that Iran is a threat, why do you think Powell's comments on Iran made the news?

Is it your position that Bush is talking tough to a nation that isn't an imminent threat? If so, that would make Bush a bully and you a liberal.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, there's not.

13. Ivon Denosovich

There aren't ANY implications that the administration believes Iran poses an imminent nuclear threat? Ok... You are probably the only conservative on planet earth who believes that and ironically that places you in the same boat with Powell's comments in the OP which you appeared to disagree with. Also, it means you believe Bush is unjustified in bullying a nonaggressive country with sanctions.

ETA: if it's not an imminent threat why take issue with Powell about Iran being a "long way" from achieving a nuclear weapon?

#33 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007
  14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None at all.

If you have learned anything at all about President George W. Bush, it should be that, if he thought they were an "imminent" threat, he would have taken action yesterday.

#34 carpro, Nov 19, 2007
  15. Ivon Denosovich

I tire of your semantics. That Iran is in the process of seeking nuclear weapons is not indispute amongst MOST conservatives. That their successful construction of said arm would pose a threat to the world is also not in indispute amonst MOST conservatives. Also, in the midst of your scattered framents you failed to address:

1) Is Bush a bully for pushing sanctions against a nation that does not pose an imminent threat?

2) Why did you take issue with Powell's comments about Iran being a "long way" from nuclear power if you did not believe the precise opposite to be true?

ETA: Until these two specific questions are answered I'm ignoring any further random quips. Many thanks for your thoughtful consideration to the above matters.

#35 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 19, 2007
  16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have learned anything at all about President George W. Bush, it should be that, if he thought they were an "imminent" threat, he would have taken action yesterday.

Your frustration is with your inability to prove a falsehood. That's not my fault.

17. Ivon Denosovich

1) Is Bush a bully for pushing sanctions against a nation that does not pose an imminent threat?

2) Why did you take issue with Powell's comments about Iran being a "long way" from nuclear power if you did not believe the precise opposite to be true?

ETA: Until these two specific questions are answered I'm ignoring any further random quips. Many thanks for your thoughtful consideration to the above matters.

18. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

I've been reading you interactions with Carpro and wondered how long it would take you to realize that this is his ploy over and over.

19. Ivon Denosovich

:tonofbricks: Dagwood, thanks. I needed that. I'd buy you a cup of coffee if I knew you personally!

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need more than that, but I suggest you start with a dictionary. :wavey:

Maybe, between the two of you, you could figure out how to use it.