Powell Reportedly Resigning?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Powell Reportedly Resigning
    Won't Serve 2nd Term

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON, D.C.-August 4, 2003 — Secretary of State Colin Powell reportedly will not stick around for a second term.

The Washington Post reports Powell's deputy, Richard Armitage, recently told national security adviser Condoleezza Rice that he and Powell will leave January 21st, 2005.

The Post cites "sources familiar with the conversation."

The story says Powell has told associates it has nothing to do with any policy disagreements, but rather a promise he made to his wife. He turned 66 in April, and has many interests beyond government service.

If President Bush is re-elected and Powell steps down, he would be following the pattern. In recent decades, only George Shultz has served more than one term as secretary of state.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Last Updated: Aug 4, 2003

SOURCE

2. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't blame him. I would want out of this disastrous(from a limited government viewpoint) administration, too.

3. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Heard it on NPR this morning.

4. Johnv

Johnv
    Expand Collapse

Colin Powell has had a distinguished and fulfilling career. Now 66, the man deserves to spend his remaining years in tranquility with his family. More power to him! [​IMG]

5. Jameslef

Jameslef
    Expand Collapse

Good!

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

Colin Powell has served his country well and deserves to retire at 67-68! God bless him!

Diane

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

You must have missed this part...

It has nothing to do with the government. He made this promise to his wife a long time ago and is going to keep it...regardless of what administration is in control...

I agree 100% John! [​IMG]

8. KenH

KenH
    Expand Collapse

Nope. I saw it. I was simply expressing why I would follow suit if I was a member of the Bush administration. [​IMG]

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker
    Expand Collapse

I think we got that from your first post.

I wish the players would stay the same, makes it easier to know who people are for me. Sort of like when the Dodgers had the dream team, Cey, Garvey etc....then they had to change the roster. ;)

But you're right, everyone has to quit sometime. And he's had a distinguished career IMO. So yeah, he deserves to call it quits and enjoy his family like any other regular Joe.

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

No Basis for Washington Post Story

PRESS RELEASE FROM STATE: Regarding the story in today's Washington Post about Secretary of State Colin L. Powell and Deputy Secretary Richard L. Armitage, there was no conversation between the Deputy Secretary and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice concerning any plans for "stepping down." There is no basis for the story. As Secretary Powell has always said, he and Deputy Secretary Armitage serve at the pleasure of the President, and will continue to do so.

11. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

state.gov?

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

Sorry Kelly! State Department

Here's another release:

"This is gossip and rumor," said State Department spokesman Philip Reeker when asked about The Washington Post story. "The story purports to describe a conversation that took place. That conversation never took place."

###

WHITE HOUSE: Scott McClellan just announced that Secy Powell and Deputy Secy Armitage will be arriving at the Crawford Ranch tomorrow evening for dinner with the President. The two will overnight in Crawford and then will meet again with the President on Wednesday and have lunch before heading back to DC...

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Diane: I just read that article in the DRUDGE REPORT a few minutes ago.

I sure wish they would have announced that statement was an unverified rumor before I posted this topic! [​IMG] :confused: [​IMG]

14. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

If this is, indeed, rumor (not only spread by the Post), it's an oldie; I found a reference to his resigning in '05 going back to last September.

Here's the link to the press release at state.gov:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2003/22992.htm

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

Don't feel bad Sue! Somehow this fooled a lot of journalists who should know to check their sources! I thought it was for real. I saw it on several sites and wondered why it didn't make the AP. Now I know.

Diane

16. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker
    Expand Collapse

No offense to anyone, but do you think it might be prudent to varify news stories more before posting them on the board? It really shouldn't be necessary for each member to look it up every time to see if it's true should it?

We all make mistakes, and I'm not getting down on anyone here for making a mistake. It happens. But it seems if a news story was varified before being posted this would happen a lot less often.

Just a suggestion. Not a condemnation. ;)

17. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I think, in this case, it was the Post, AP, drudge . . . that needed to verify a story. [​IMG]

Although, the Post has yet to print a retraction . . . but they did used words like "alleged" and "from sources," so . . .

It's not as though Sue's post was just word of mouth. It came from reliable sources - news sites - just not the SoS himself.

I know what'cha mean, though. [​IMG]

18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

WS: I found it on five different news sites. I assumed that was verification enough. I don't know how I could have checked it out any more thoroughly.

The rumor was not stated as a rumor until much later in the day, and as Kelly said, no retraction has been made.

How many times have you heard that a person absolutely was not going to run for president and then WALLA! They run anyway...

The rumor started a long time ago (if rumor it is) so I tend to believe there is some truth to it. I think he promised his wife some time ago. Only time will tell.....

Sorry if I caused anyone any inconvenience. [​IMG]

§ue

19. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker
    Expand Collapse

Sue, don't feel you have to justify yourself to me. I know that my post could be taken as critical, but that's not how I meant it. If you checked it than you checked it. What else can you be expected to do?

Another thought is that maybe it's the whitehouse that is spinning this. Only time will tell. ;)

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia
    Expand Collapse

OKAY... my local news is going to give 'the real reason behind Colin Powell's resignation'. LOL