1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Power Mac G3

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by preacher, Feb 18, 2007.

1. preacher

preacher New Member

Evening, doing this one for my wittle wife. Had someone give us an old G3, not the blue/white one but it lays flat on the desk, 32Mgb ram, 266 CPU , made in 99 I think. Won't start up...well it comes up with a display showing a 9.1 OS but then the screen goes blank & nothing else. Even has the old "turbomouse" with it. It plugs in the back & the keyboard plugs into the mouse.
    It also has the ZIP drive installed. I was wondering if I need some discs to get it to boot...or just toss it? The only reason I took it was really for the monitor to use on mine. But my wife is as bad as me about wanting to tinker!!

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Macs have one major tech support problem . . . since they don't break as much, mac users don't know how to fix 'em.

;)

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a troubleshooting cdrom for macs, if you post model number, name of it if there is one and any other items it does or doesn't do I will do some snooping. It should be a fair unit if you can get it running.

I won't promise when I can do it but as soon as time permits.

4. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "goes blank" means what, blank white, black or....?

When it first turns on do you hear the crackling of the high voltage - probably do since the os9 comes on, so when it goes blank do you hear the crackling again?

When it is blank, if black did you try contrast and brightness controls?

When blank, if white, would indicate the sytem is hanging for some reason - did you wait awhile to see if it would do something?

5. preacher

preacher New Member

Sorry its took me so long....
    It starts up...the screen comes up after a minute with the 9.1 logo, the it clicks again & the monitor goes on what I guess is "standby", from green lite to orange lite. Which is normal with some computers till it picks up again. But after this,...no matter how long, nothing. I still hear the HD running, but no display at all. No other beeps or sounds at all. I went to the Apple site & tried a couple of things it said...various buttons to hold down during boot, but still nothing so far. Except to get it to restart.
    The power button doesn't seem to want to power it down, or up, without playing with it sometimes, ya know, pushin it over & over. Could that be the problem? I tried just holding it in, but no difference.

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had an imac with what sounds like the same problem and their troubleshooting cd led me to determine it wasn't worth fixing. I'd guess you could call a mac store and they might give you a ruff idea of what it would cost. Sounds like they have the same stuff online as the cdrom I paid ten bucks for :laugh:

They are mostly, change a board type service so likely pretty spendy if you need a board. Be worth a call to an apple repair store.

The unit starts to boot and if a specific voltage is not present it automatically shuts down. The voltage comes from a board and if not present it is due to malfunction.

7. preacher

preacher New Member

OK Thanks. I got it off of Freecycle & like I said I just really wanted the monitor, but had to take all. Did manage to get another fax machine in the package though. It works.
    Guess I'll do the ole "open it up routine" & salvage anything like ram, cards & such for future projects. Never know when I might just run across another one.

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You could pull each cable connection and reconnect to be sure it isn't just a bad connection. A good smack or slight drop on the desk might vibrate something into action. :laugh:

9. preacher

preacher New Member

Now ya sound like my wife....if all else fails, get the hammer out...I mean it don't work now anyway so what damage can ya do???

10. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

If you haven't torn it apart already, you might try re-installing the system software, if you have a system 8 or 9 disc. Either of these systems will run quite well on it, wouldn't even try system X.

Sounds a lot like my Mac. I have a desktop (the one that lies flat like you described), G3/233mhz, made in 1998. I bought it factory refurbished in 1999. I did get it upgraded to 96mb / ram, and am sure glad I did.

11. preacher

preacher New Member

Morning,
    Nope, haven't hed time to get the hammer out yet either!! But It didn't come with any software at all...would Linux run on it I wonder???!!!
    Things have just been so hectic I haven't had time to play with it anymore. Yet.

12. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Linnux might just run fine on it, but I'm not real sure. Have heard of it being done.

System X has a "Linux Kernel", whatever that means.

13. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Have you tried to use a different Monitor?