1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured power to tread on serpents...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, May 1, 2013.

1. awaken

awaken Active Member

One last post on this...and I think it sums it up...

Yes, Paul was physically bitten by a snake and survived (God protected him). But there is a Spiritual side to this as well. The devil decieved Eve through the snake which resulted in the fall of man as a curse that was passed down. When it says believers “can pick up snakes and if they drink any deadly poison it will not hurt you.” Could it mean..... believers having discernment on what is true and what are lies. The devil can feeds us poison with a lie...but we are given the gift of discernment. We should know the truth. As a believer we can defeat the devil (snake) by the Sword of the Spirit. (Word of God) This again comes from the Power of the Holy Spirit.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Great show us where this is legitimately happening on a regular basis. Why is it not happening to every believe. In fact why is it only happening to a small portion of those who call themselves Christians?

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

The atmosphere of unbelief!
    We are taught a certain way and our attitude is...
    "I don't care what the Bible says; I don't believe it, and I will believe it my way."
    This same attitude is seen in the Pharisees in the time of Christ..."if it does not fit my theology, it's not of God!"

If we refuse to believe, the Holy Spirit will refuse to operate!

How many actually believe if they lay hands on someone they WILL RECOVER?

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Do you understand that Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ based on grace through faith? It is the totality of ones life as one worships, tells others about Jesus, and serves the Lord.

Christianity is not a series of magic acts. Now for my next trick, I will pull a rattlesnake out of a hat, followed by raising a dead person, curing a person of cancer, and then for the grand finale, I will speak a secret message from heaven in boogly boogly. Of course, we can only do this on Saturday.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes, the old charismatic you don't have enough faith scam. Reminds me of Juanita Bynum who dared a crowd of elderly people to empty their bank accounts out and give it to her in faith so that God will bless them. It is a scam and it is evil, ungodly, and should be repudiated at every chance.

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have had a relationship with Jesus Christ for over 40 years! ANd it keeps getting sweeter and sweeter! I share Jesus with people everyday!

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More inept understanding of scripture. You really need to be discipled on interpreting scripture.

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

The Bible has plenty to say about unbelief!
    Jesus could do no mighty miracles because of their unbelief (Mark 6:5-6)
    Yet he left the upper Galilee and performed numerous miracles in the cities around the Sea of Galilee.
    In Matt. 17 Jesus said it was the unbelief of the disciples that could not deliver a boy that was spirit possessed!
    Unbelief is a strong force!
    Before Christ raised a girl from the dead, he first cleared out the room of unbelief.(Mark 5:39-40)
    Again...if you refuse to believe, the Holy Spirit will refuse to operate!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

So maybe you can explain why believers get snake bit every day and die!

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Or maybe the real issue is not that people get snake bit and die but that not all the acts of God in the early church still go on today. And your imposition on scripture based on your eisegetical interpretation which leads you to allegorize scripture intended to be understood in a historical genre is sophomoric at best. And the reason this is so is because you could not reconcile your false doctrine with the historical nature of that text so you are willing to pull it out of its genre and context in order to fit your preconceived notion. Your behavior does violence to scripture.

#50 Revmitchell, May 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awaken - on page 1 of this thread, I asked you what was your point; it was because I discerned you had a motive for studying your opening post.

You replied that your only motive was to study scripture.

Since then, you've proven that your reason for studying your opening post was to support a particular belief/position.

You were somewhat deceitful. Honesty would have been a better opening. Present your position and the support for it; then work on defending it. Objectively assess the contrary opinions, and defend against them; or understand why they're more correct than your position.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is always the case with this person.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

No, I was not! I am still searching this out!
    My motive is always to come to a better understanding of God's word! How is that being deceitful?

I ask a simple question about that scripture!

14. awaken

awaken Active Member

Your unbelief does violence to scripture!

Satan has always attempted to cast doubt upon the Word of God (Gen. 3:1-5). He has continued to use this method to keep the supernatural power of God from operating through the church. This has been ammunition in the hands of those who oppose the supernatural in the church today.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok....continue to show your ignorance.

16. awaken

awaken Active Member

NOt once on this thread have you elaborated on the scriptures mentioned! As usual you just criticize the poster.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is in fact false. I elaborated on the passage you quoted and ripped out of its genre and context. You do not have the skills to dig truth out of scripture. You are a novice at best and are in need of some discipleship from someone who is an actual Bible teacher. Not someone who is blinded by the charismatic agenda.

Charismatics do not have any interpretive skills. They do not seem to think they need them.

18. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

They don't because their experiences are supreme and the final authority, and so they approach scripture and use it only to try to find support for their preconceived fantasies based on their anti-scriptural experiences. That is the charismatic mindset. They are blind to the truth because their ungodly, occult-based experiences have made them that way.

This poster over and over has demonstrated a complete lack of ability and willingness to interpret scripture in context. On top of that, she misrepresents what others say and is deceitful in her purpose. She is ignorant and disdainful of 1900 years of the church's teachings, and arrogantly accuses those of unbelief who disagree with her non-scriptural and anti-scriptural teachings.

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

What I have noticed from this board is that people that disagree with you can not just state their case and say this is what I believe and why....they have to continually bash the other person and what they believe! This kind of debating is not healthy or Chirst-like! The spirit of this board is a strong relilgious spirit!

A pharisee attitude..."If it does not fit my theology, it's not of God"

It is fine to believe different than I do. I do not get offended if you disagree! But the way this board acts and treats others than their own demonination or doctrines is unbelievable! That is not good fruit!

I was raised baptist and still in a baptist church that believes in the manifestation of the Holy Spirit! I am a child of God! I believe He is the Son of God! I have accepted Him as my Savior years ago! We are suppose to be brothers and sisters in Christ! But No love on this board for each other! Oh! Unless you agree with each other!

YOu do not have to agree with my interpretation of Luke 10 and Mark 16! But the continual ridiucule and demeaning of the person is proof that you do not have a leg to stand on when coming to prove your man-made theology! Or in this case even have a thought to what was posted!

I do appreciate those that did contribute even though we did not agree you did not get hostile!

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

Can you show me which post # you elaborated on this passage in this thread?