1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured power to tread on serpents...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, May 1, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is what I was thinking as well.

Assassination by poisoning , poisonous vipers etc - something they had to deal with -

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

In Luke 10 do you see that serpents and scorpions are literal?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Because that command and promise is not given for today.
    Because they are foolish.
    Even you won't demonstrate it and are hypocritical in saying that it is for today simply proving that you are fraudulent in your Christianity. You have never answered why you promote this fraud when you don't practice it in your day to day living. That is pure hypocrisy, and you know it.

You say that we are unbelieving. The truth is you are unbelieving, because you won't practice what you preaching. You are an unbelieving hypocrite. That is what people see here.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

Do you realize how foolish you sound telling someone to demonstrate getting bit by a snake to prove a point! Are we to tempt God?

NOWHERE in scriptures tell us to do that! Besides I do not believe it is literal serpents!

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK has the revelation of the bible, she has false revealtions from false Apostles/prophets to stand upon!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the will of man can and does overpower the Will of God? that god has grnated us now the right to ask and demand him to perform for us?

have you ever heard or read charasmatic theology, that states that we can exercise 'faith/spoken words" and that God MUST obey us, for even he cannot go against these "laws of faith?"

Do you agree with that cHarasmatic position?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is it just me, or mosy ironic that a Charasamtic who is lost in the wrong/bad doctrine of that Movement speaks of the gift of discernment?

8. awaken

awaken Active Member

How did you get any of that our of that post????? The Bible was clear that he did NO miracles because of their unbelief!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

Three post on this thread and you have not proven one point in any favor! Just ridicule!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes it is a command in Scripture, written in a prophecy. "Ye shall pick up serpents...
    They will do it. Parts of the verse you claim and the other parts you dismiss. You are a hypocrite.
    You shall speak in tongues. ("Oh, I can do that by my gibberish; Yeaaaah!")

You shall pick up serpents. ("Whhoooops, better mistranslate that; find another meaning---can't take it literally; don't want to try it")\

You shall drink deadly poison. ("Whoaaa! Time for a little allegorization again. Can't do that one either. Find a different meaning to get out of this one too. Speaking in tongues is fine. I can fake that one; but the others I can't fake--so find a different meaning--yeah, that's the solution."

I can read your mind awaken. There is your thinking processes. Actually you already explained it on the board. I just put it simply for you so you can understand what you have already said to us.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you are saying that God tells us to pick up snakes to prove him right? NOT HARDLY!

And in all that you have proven nothing except how you lower yourself to ridicule others!

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The verse is literal. Signs and wonders followed the apostles as has been proven. They spoke with other tongues. Paul shook off a poisonous snake with no harm done to him, and there was great amazement to the pagans in the area. It was both a promise of protection, and a promise of signs and wonders given to the apostles of the first century. The same promise was given:
    1. When Christ sent out the 12.
    2. When Christ sent out the 50
    3. In 2Cor.12:12 and in Heb.2:3,4, as validation of an Apostle.

Here you reject the Word of God.
    No, I have shown how you take a part of a verse literally and dismiss (hypocritically) the rest of the verse. That is very evident in this thread.

Others don't dismiss this so lightly. There are many Charismatic churches that both speak in tongues and pick up serpents on a regular basis. Perhaps you should either visit one at the very least, or even join one, if you are to be consistent in your theology.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

No, I did not dismiss any of the scripture! I understand it the way I presented it. Luke 10 backs up that it is not literal, but power over the enemy!

As far as not being for today! You have not or can not prove that with scripture!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that was for the Apostles/Disciples of jesus , so are you saying that ALL of us would be able to fulfill end of marks gospel?

Why didn't ANY claim that truth until 1905 do you wondr?

15. awaken

awaken Active Member

Are you saying the great commission is just for the apostles?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    saying the greater works than these jesus said that we would do in his name was the taking of the message of the Cross to all the world, in the power and person of the HS!

The Apsotles confirmed that by their sign gifts, so we don't need that any longer, but do need to take the Gospel to all nations still!

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Scorpions are scorpions are scorpions and serpents are serpents. How would the disciples think? What would they think that Jesus was talking about? Do you honestly think that they would attach some mysterious meaning from the book of Revelation, a book that had not even been written yet? Absurd!!

Look at the context:
    Luke 10:4 Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.
    --They were going across the countryside barefoot. They were not to take even their shoes with them. This was a promise of protection. Serpents and scorpions would not hurt them. Christ gave them a promise of protection from these creatures as they went forth and preached the gospel. This is a very obvious meaning when reading the entire passage and considering the context. One can come to no other conclusion, but the one just stated.

18. awaken

awaken Active Member

The sign gifts confirmed the Word..not JUST the apostles!
    Mark 16 is part of the great commission and it was given to all of us!
    We are those that believe!
    These signs will follow those that believe!

19. awaken

awaken Active Member

Who said they had to refer to Revelations?

THey might have had this one in mind...
    Ezekiel 2

6 And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns be with thee, and thou dost dwell among scorpions: be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house.

So tell me are these real scorpions?

Or maybe this one..
    Matthew 23
    32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
    33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
    Were they real serpents?

17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name. (Here they are speaking of devils subject to them)
    18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. (Jesus pictured this in seeing Satan falling from the sky)
    19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. (He is putting the serpents and scorpions in the same context as the power of the enemy)
    20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven. (this is referring to the evil spirit that is mentioned in verse 19)
    21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight. (I love that he added this verse)

THis is the Greek word for serpents in that scripture
    Ophis: 3789 o[fiß Ophis (of'-is);
    Word Origin: Greek, Noun Masculine
    probably from (3700) (through the idea of sharpness of vision)

snake, serpent
    with the ancients, the serpent was an emblem of cunning and wisdom. The serpent who deceived Eve was regarded by the Jews as the devil.

KJV Word Count (Ophis #3789)

They did not mention fear or control over serpents or scorpions. They are speaking of something else! Control over the spirits through Jesus authority!